XT225 Custom Tank Build

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by underkill, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Keith

Keith Slabbing it

Oddometer:
    Very nice job on your first extra capacity tank. That little bike will go forever with that capacity!

Those aren't Bogarts that I spy on that Camaro are they? LS1tech much?
  2. Onederer

Onederer Crunch Nugget

Oddometer:
    Good job on your first tank! Now you have a larger tank for not much $.
    Maybe a small [​IMG] sticker on the tank would be an adequate representation of the bikes range now.
  3. handirifle

handirifle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That has got to be one of the coolest mod jobs I've seen yet. Very nice work. I almost bought a tank off ebay for my XL600 to do a similar mod, not sure it would turn out that nice. I am also building my racks for the sides, and like the look of yours, will be a nice reference for me.

Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see it completed.
  4. tripletom

tripletom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nicely done. Especially for a first job.
  5. underkill

underkill Horsepower Junkie

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the compliments guys!!! :clap:clap:clap

as far as the finishing of it goes, I used metal filler on all the seams just in case, so if it does end up leaking, we'll have issues... I did use bondo to smooth it over, but I'm not goign to make it perfectly smooth (even though I know it would look nicer) just due to the fact that it's on a dual sport and will be dropped... i'll spend way more time on the next tank I build... It was painted silver last night and is still drying... soooo... anyone have any ideas as to paint schemes? it looks a little boring just silver... I was going to do the leading edge in bedliner just because I dont think it'll hold up very well... kind of like they do to the 640 adventures sometimes... I did a couple photoshops, but don't have time to post them up this morning....

Thanks for the tip on the soap!!! I've had to use all sorts of randomness to fix vehicles before, (chapstick to put jeep springs back in, etc... ) so i'm surprised i dont have soap already! Hopefully it won't leak when its full of liquid for more than 10 minutes... We still need to get an accurate reading on how much fuel it holds... Will have that by this weekend and report back!:eek1

Keith: they're Convo Pros. :evil
    see here for more details if you're interested... thats my other baby!
    http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/sslow2000/camaro/
  6. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't wait to see the finished product! Great job, :clap CMS :ricky
  7. Yokomo

Yokomo Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    that's awesome!!!!
  8. handirifle

Oddometer:
    Be sure to NOT put the bedliner where your knees might rub. Some of the stuff has sharp scratchy surfaces. Might really be annoying on a lot of up and down bumpy roads.

I like the two tone version someone else posted earlier in this thread, maybe something like that.
  9. underkill

Oddometer:
    I'm using the cheap duplicolor bedliner.. its got texture, but when I used it before on engine parts, its generally pretty smooth... Like the sides of the engines on the new harleys.. (we used it on a v-star) if'n you've seen one of those lately.. I'm hoping it'll work out pretty nice and keep the leading edge of the tank from looking like crap after a couple rides...
  10. handirifle

Oddometer:
    Duplicolor should be nice. I have it on one of my rifle stocks and it feels nice, but some wal mart crap on another scratches pretty bad.

KEEP US POSTED.
  11. underkill

Oddometer:
    OK! well started in on the bedliner for the front edges.... I had a design all made up in photoshop.. and I guess something happened in the 2 minutes it took me to tape off the tank and I got it completely wrong.. :huh:rofl but it still looks pretty neat... Only doing one side at a time so it has time to dry completely. Used old crusty masking tape, so it tore a bit of the paint off the front... (BLAH will have to fix that later) the bedliner i used was duplicolor... just the cheap truck bedliner that they have at NAPA... Went on pretty good.. is thick, but not too thick and not too textured.. it looks pretty good i think...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So it wasn't exactly what I was going for with the pattern, but I like it anyway I think... it just needs SOMETHING in there.. like a pattern or sticker or somethign, you know? For some reason dark grey zebra stripes keep popping into my mind... :eek1 or some sort of fade... or... the yamaha block stripe thingies... blah I dont know... :ear
  12. handirifle

Oddometer:
    Pretty darn neat project. Keep up the good work. The bedliner ought to keep the chips away, for sure.

Since I have zero artistic leanings I am clueless to a design suggestion. So far so good.
  13. emerson.biguns

emerson.biguns All idiot, no savant

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

... is your friend.

Looking good. :thumb

14. underkill

Oddometer:
    haha yeah I know.... :cry It's an easy touch up.. and it didn't occur to me until I was peeling it off that it was shitty tape... ohwell... hopefully tonight i'll get the tank all finished up and ready to go on... :clap
  15. Langanobob

Langanobob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a great thread and thanks for going to the effort to post all the pictures and descriptions. I have a spare tank that I've thought about doing something similar with and you've given me lots of ideas.
  16. carburated

carburated Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm loving this thread! While I don't have the skills to do something like this, I sure wish I did! Not that I need any more range on our XT225, but still it's pretty badass looking with the big tank. I love to see the adventure touring setups on the little bikes, very cool.
  17. underkill

Oddometer:
    Well, really had to work at it to get petcock in, that Kreem liner shouldnt be allowed near bolt holes btw... Tank bolted up to the bike just like it should.. Haven't finished putting the panels and such back on... (still need to change the oil and finish up some things) but here the tank is on the bike all hooked up to the carb with a fuel filter! since i'm sure i missed some crap inside the tank....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the adventure xt225 of doom was born! w00t! :freaky

tomorrow is the oil change and put the bike back together and hopefully get some final pictures!!!

still thinking about paint schemes... i'm still thinking charcoal zebra stripes... cause it'd be hilarious. :D
  18. mikeprod92211

mikeprod92211 Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    Put a little ORANGE on there, so the garagew mate is not jealous!!:evil
  19. Sucks2drive

Sucks2drive Banned

Oddometer:
    Great Fabrication!:beer

Well Done.

When you have a few 1,000 miles of "Test" miles on it, my advice, if i may, is send it to a pro paint shop, and let them prep n paint it for ya.. then it will look Amazing!
  20. taco250

taco250 wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:
    Underkill and Blinkerfluid:

Way to go. You really bit off a big chunk with this project but you chewed it all the way! The bodyman in me wishes you'd put a thicker coat of bondo on there but its your project, if you're happy with it, then so am I.:clap For cleaner tape lines on you next job, use what's called fine-line tape. You can get it at paint stores. Its plastic and leaves a cleaner edge than any masking tape. Its what you see the guys on the hot rod shows using to lay out flames and such.

On the welding, you did a great job for what you had to do. A tig would've been a little easier but it too takes practice. I tig everyday on .035 stainless tubing and it took me a while to get the hang of things.

Again, you guys did a fantastic job. I'm really impressed with your drive and gumption to see it all the way through. Keep the good work.

Stuart