XT225 Custom Tank Build

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by underkill, Nov 20, 2008.

1. kodiakfrank

kodiakfrank Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer:
    Crystal River, where the swamp gas rises.
    Most Excellent!:clap

You have inspired me to build one for my wifes XT.:deal
  2. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome!

Great project and a great result!

My only queston is why you didn't bead/sand blast the tank after you had it cut up?

Personal observation and tip - My experince with Kreeme has not been a happy one.
    Get a clear in-line fuel filter and check to ensure that the Kreeme has not started to degrade.

Personal preference - I would have done the whole tank with the texture coat.

Tip - After using water to check for leaks use 90% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol to rinse the tanks. It will help to dry out the tank.

Last tip - [​IMG]

Again, it's awesome!!
  3. underkill

underkill Horsepower Junkie

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I would have liked for it to come out a little smoother, but for a first tank with not quite the correct tools I'm more than pleased with it.. I had considered more bondo, but since it's on a dual sport, making the tank perfect would have been more work than it's worth I think... Would have liked to sandblast the tank, but we just moved and the air compressor wasn't hooked back up etc... :cry

Anyway, we definatly learned a lot on this project and ended up with a nice usable and definatly larger tank. I'll have to post an update after I get 3000 miles on it! (leave next week!!! AH!)

yeah, we'll see how the Kreem works.. I do have an inline filter just in case... due to the baffles and stuff internally it was pretty hard to get cleaned out... so, inline filter was a must! we'll see how it goes... I hope it holds up ok... I figure anything was better than the rust, right?

if the internet works at home when I get back from work, i'll post the new pictures with the panniers and everything installed! looks like a big bike! only smaller! ;) we might get another tank sometime to practice on and see if we really learned anything... :lol3

YAY!!!!:clap
  4. Blinkerfluid

Blinkerfluid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the compliments everyone.. I think the tank turned out ok.. definitely pleased with the volume, but the fit and finish needs some work.. I'm definitely going to make another one sometime after I get a TIG.. I also have some other tools now that should allow me to shape the metal a bit better on the next tank.. For now, the one we built should work even if it doesn't look perfect.. Thanks again! :freaky
  5. handirifle

handirifle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought of doing this about a month ago on my XL600, but wasn't 100% sure how to go about it. I now have a tank on the way, and and what little bit of mind I have, is full of ideas.

Thanks for the details and inspiration. Good luck on your trip.
  6. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BRAVO!! great job, :clap plus a good looking girl, and she loves the bikes an riding, you have it all. Keep the future projects posted also. CMS :ricky
  7. MountainClimber

MountainClimber Snipe

Oddometer:
    Looks good. You guys be safe on your trip out!
  8. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dang! What happened to all the pics? I was following this thread, been away for a while and came back hoping to see the finished result. But all the pics seem to have been removed. What's up?
  9. handirifle

handirifle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well my tank showed up today. Unfortunately its's number 4 on my project lest. I just hope I can make it look as nice as yours.
  10. Blinkerfluid

Blinkerfluid Long timer

Oddometer:

Really you can't see them? Can anyone else not see them? They show up fine for me, but maybe my computer has them stored in temp files.. Go here if you want to look through all the pics:

https://underkill.smugmug.com/gallery/6563348_BnYEL#417700886_vHahV

Good luck on the tank handirifle, keep us posted on how it turns out.
  11. moterbiker

moterbiker Gypsy diver

Oddometer:

They show up fine for me.
    You at work behind a content filter?
  12. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    Great job, you two! :clap

I have thought about doing this for the GS for years now, but those roundtuits are hard to come by sometimes...:lol3

FYI, for shaping sheet metal curves you can always make a plywood buck in the shape you need and hammer the metal around it. Lots easier to learn than an english wheel.

Hope you have a great trip!
  13. Blinkerfluid

Blinkerfluid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea the biggest problem I had for this tank was not having anything to hammer the sheetmetal against.. I had some small fender dolly's but trying to hold hte sheetmetal and the dolly at the same time was difficult.. I bought and anvil now.. If we make complex shapes on the next tank I'll probably use the ply wood buck idea and use the english wheel to smooth out hte hammer marks.
  14. larry manton

larry manton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys great job........... I have used all forms of welding for the past 40 years so, yah...........I'm old. I have access to 6 tigs at present and a couple migs , but one process pretty much forgotten, and used very little except in a few custom sheet metal shops is a copper tinning Iron, thus sweating in the solder. You can overlapp the seams and tack together with a tig. The iron is heated in a small gas furnace but I bet charcoal would work. You drag the iron along the seams sweating the solder in, No distortion and a 100 percent weld. I can post a few pics if you'd like, but might need some help in this format. Two questions I ask when looking at a dual sport, how big is the tank, or can I get a bigger one. Where I ride anything less than 225 mile range is inadequate, and how big is the Alternator. Building you're own stuff is part of the adventure, I even bought a sewing machine 2 weeks ago............. got tired of stuff no one would fix. Great Job guys!
  15. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    :becca

Many years ago I used to work for a guy who did gutters like this - I got to run irons up and down the ladder. :umph
    It's a quality seam and pretty easy to learn, but a total pita way to do gutter seams.:lol3

http://www.slateandcopper.com/product-index2.php?style=wgs-copper-half-round-gutter

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gdXe7Hz-NlQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gdXe7Hz-NlQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
  16. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah ha! I wasn't at work but I was connected at home through my VPN so I was routing through my work network. Disconnected and the pics show up now. Strange though since some pics show up and some don't. Must be that some picture storage sites are blocked and some aren't.
  17. DieselSJ

DieselSJ I eat dirt

Oddometer:

I remember learning how to do that in metal shop in high school. I had totally forgotten about it until now. That brings up some interesting solutions for a few projects I have going.

Back to the tank...
    Very nice! Certainly much nicer than my first sheet metal projects. I have a 2003 TT225 sitting in the garage and it could use a tank like that.

As for colors, how about the old school Yamaha yellow/black? I have this strange thought of changing the color scheme of my YZ to the old yellow/black combination.

Definitely a cool project.
  18. underkill

underkill Horsepower Junkie

Oddometer:
    Well, the tank was a fun project. Set out friday morning to Missouri. Did 500 miles a day, ended up south of st.louis. No leaks in the tank! We did find that there are a few spots that we cant get the fuel out of since the tank slopes downward in front. It would greatly benefit from another petcock on the other side like a lot of the really large tanks have.

Here's a pic finally in use and in route to missouri!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. TangoBravoMike

TangoBravoMike n00b - (not)

Oddometer:
    Underkill, nice work on your tank build. You and Blinkerfluid took on a project that most of us wouldn't and can't. Nice results, well done.

Lots of XT225 pilots wish for a larger tank, it's one of the main complaints about the bike. We've heard for years -literally- that Clarke Mfg. had plans in the works for an XT225 tank. I sent them an email to ask about it. Got a reply this morning from Clarke Mfg. saying "We do plan on one. I will let you know when it is ready. No current ETA but we are hoping for spring.".

There was no mention of proposed capacity for such a tank.

We have to take this with a grain of salt, since a larger XT225 tank has been unobtainium for, well, as long as there have been XT225s. But I for one would be an early buyer, as duplicating your build project is more than I want to attempt.

Thank you for the thread and story and pictures. Again, well done.
  20. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer: