XT225 Custom Tank Build

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by underkill, Nov 20, 2008.

1. RiverRat

RiverRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is one of the coolest things i have seen here. Brilliant!
  2. Utah Bones

Utah Bones Gas X ready!

Oddometer:
    Great job!
  3. Daytona_Rider

Daytona_Rider You should be racing

Oddometer:
    Why has no company made a plastic replacement? I would buy one for sure for my wife's bike.
  4. Blinkerfluid

Blinkerfluid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure one of the major tank builders is going to release a replacement tank soon.. Can't remember which one but there's a thread on here about it.
  5. RiverRat

RiverRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Clarke. I emailed them a couple months ago... said they'd have something very soon!
  6. weggieman

weggieman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't care to spend the money for a larger tank for my DR650 so I'm going to expand it in a manner similar to this. I just can't see spending close to $400 for plastic. I'm a cheap bastard.

I don't know that I will get all the photos like this project but I'll try. I want to add 1- 1 1/2 gallons to my stock tank.

Then again, I know a guy who built his own carbon fiber tank and fenders for a custom Harley.........hmmmmmm
  7. DirtDude

DirtDude Dirt Dude

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys for the idea. I want a larger tank for my DR 650, but don't want to fork out the bucks (largely due to the fact that you can't get blood out of a turnip). This also solves the problems I've read about fitting a plastic tank and needing a new seat... Great job and I agree whole heartedly on the looks aspect. Asthetics are overrated in my opinion. When you are out in the desert, miles from anywhere or anyone that can help, you not going to be saying, "Well, it looks cool anyway...". Thanks again and God's speed.
  8. henrrytuan

henrrytuan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This problem is also of me. cleaning the fuel tank is not simple. thank you !
  9. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Well, since this threat was resurrected, let me add a product that will stop leaks. I ran over a raised manhole with a lowered BMW auto, and put a series of holes in the gas tank. Nothing worked to stop the leaks.

I finally tried a boating product called gray Marine-Tex, and it worked perfectly. Two part product, and fuel proof. Had it on the car for years before I sold it. Can be sanded, painted, shaped, drilled, etc. Rock hard once it sets, designed to be used under water, highly recommended.
  10. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Somehow I missed what the final volume was. How much did the modified tank hold?