1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

XT225- Every mod they make...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by underkill, Oct 15, 2008.

1. underkill

underkill Horsepower Junkie

Oddometer:
    Got my brand new (to me!) 2006 XT225 last week and had almost every part they make for it ordered that night.

Got KTM high bend Renthal fatbars and bar adapter/risers from pitposse. The adapters are sweet. I love billet. The grips are pretty sweet too. and I have those same bars on every other bike i've ever owned, so they're comfy and consistent! As usual, nothing I ever buy goes on nicely, so I had to grind off the little tabs that center the controls on the stock bars so they'd slide over these. No big deal, just a pain in the ass.
    [​IMG]
    Next on the list is folding mirrors! I plan on breaking those little silver ones soon enough...

Happy Trails! panniers!
    These are the Teton 7.5" panniers. The racks seem very sturdy. They're slightly heavy, which I might notice, given the 225ish nature of my little 225... :/
    [​IMG]

The previous owner pimped it out with the sweet billllettttt rear rack. Which I love. I was always too cheap to buy one for myself.. but if it comes with the bike... SCORE! (I really belong on a KLR, but they're too tall).
    [​IMG]

Heres the pannier itself. Nice lip around the top and seal. They seem really well made. the hinged lids open to the outside and seem like they're going to be pretty convenient! The latches are also pretty trick and suck the lid down onto that seal.. im not worried at all about them leaking... (except for the holes in the side where you bolt them down, but whatever... nothing a little RTV can't fix later)
    [​IMG]

Heres a sweet pic of the entire setup so far.
    [​IMG]

Pretty!!! Now that is a FINE looking motorbike if I don't say so myself! ;) The panniers look a little large in this pic, but maybe i'm still getting used to them...
    [​IMG]

Ah yes... The ever so sweet billet rear rack... what a pain in the ass it was... :huh It's a centimeter or so thicker than the regular bent metal racks this setup is made for. So, I set to work sourcing slightly longer bolts so that all points of the rack lined up on each side and the proper amount of thread was through the holes etc... and it worked! (I might also point out that the hardware supplied with the panniers was excellent)
    [​IMG]

The problem arose when I got to the rear connector piece... I forgot that I was making the whole assembly wider because of my stupid sweet billet rear rack... :bluduh Since the welder is broken, I halfassed it and bolted one side down normally and drilled 2 new holes on the other side... so it's a little off center, but I really want to use these for camping this weekend... I really hope no one notices due to them being so awestruck at the rest of this finely tuned and tricked out beast...
    :rofl
    [​IMG]
  2. underkill

Oddometer:
    I also have the Turbocity windscreen that i'll have to modify to fit with my Renthal bars and the turbocity skidplate with engine guards, that actually magically went on the bike without a fuss... but I failed to get pictures of any of it.. :rofl

16t front sprocket went on the other day. The stock chain was too short so i'm waiting on a longer chain to see if my mpg goes up from the 78.9 that I got last time.

Also have the correct jets to install once I get over this little bout of procrastination.

So, Tomorrow I hope to have a little more of it done, so here's some cute pictures of it stock! What a clean little bike it was... didn't know what it was getting itself into.. :evil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anyone actually reads me sig, you'll find that I ride with a KTM 640 adventure... 6+ gallons... 60mpg ... Thats just a stupid huge range... My little blue beast only really goes like 150 miles before she has to stop... I'm also really paranoid about running out of gas. Therefore I bought a spare tank off ebay... and am going to try to take it from 2.5 gallons to 3 or 4... so I can have a 'touring tank'. why the hell not? :clap
  3. bitemeback

bitemeback electriceel125

Oddometer:
    You in NC?
  4. underkill

Oddometer:
    Almost, Suffolk Virginia. ;)
  5. snarf

snarf WFO and clueless

Oddometer:
    Will that lil two hundy power the bike forward with all that stuff on it? :)
  6. GsVs

GsVs Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer:
    :clap Cool .... keep posting your modifications and MPG after some tanks fulls .... and detail the jet change once you complete that. :clap
  7. underkill

Oddometer:
    oh i'm not nearly done yet! :evil

Those flexx bars are trick....

I'll need a GPS and hippo hands pretty soon. I'm planning on riding it back to Missouri in the dead of winter. How do you like the hippo hands btw?

Can't wait for my other tank to get here... so I can cut it apart! Ive seen one other japanese tank that was modified with the fuel filler part raised a couple inches... I plan on doing that, widening the sides (like my old ktm 6.6gal acerbis) and molding in those little 'radiator scoops' on the front part... Should be an interesting project at least...
  8. underkill

Oddometer:
    and for your viewing pleasure.....

the donor... :thumb
    [​IMG]

Step 1: Fix welder and locate dremel. Both victims of government movers... :cry

Step 2: Injure myself on one of the above.

Step ?:

Step 98: Paint tank!

Really, what could go wrong here? :freaky
  9. Hoder

Hoder Card carrying greeny

Oddometer:
    Way cool :thumb
    How much did you pay for the bike?

Now clean up that garage young man :dood
  10. underkill

Oddometer:
    Got the bike for $2800... which was a million times better than the local dealer that wanted, i shit you not, $6000 for a new XT250... :eek1

The right side of the garage is the neighbors! We live in the garage apartment... our side is almost equally as messy, but it's full of tools, so that makes it ok! :evil

Also, the new tank came in today... It's rusted to hell. :/ if I werent goign to cut it apart and sandblast it i'd be very pissed...
  11. LaOutbackTrail

LaOutbackTrail Certified Smartass

Oddometer:
    ahem.... taking notes...... :lol3
  12. underkill

Oddometer:
    Well I finished the pannier install and got outside right before all the light went away... only the grass is a foot long.. :bluduh but here are the pictures anyway...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    now thats a fiiiine lookin' ass! ;)

Anyway, as usual I have a list of projects and I like to do them all at the same time for increased confusion and bolt loss... :clap

Here's my little XT being a whore! Naked! in the garage? with that big ole 640? What am I going to do with her?!!
    [​IMG]
    I don't really know why I took the tank off.. probably just to see how it happens... :rofl

As many of you might have noticed thus far and were about to flame me on, my turn signals are dangling precariously from their wires. whoops....
    [​IMG]
    ok maybe I wasn't QUITE done!!!

AND wiring tools at the ready! (since somehow I already lost the 'wire extensions' that came with the happy trail pannier kit, dammit!) Although, I don't have the right connectors so I will live to procrastinate until tomorrow!
    [​IMG]

While my little XT was parading around with no tank and no seat and no shame, I noticed that the snorkel in the airbox was really tiny. I know people remove this all the time, and I really really really really hate mud/water... so I decided to remove it. Should help a little bit I think. I have the replacement main jet ready to go, but couldnt put it in last night or risk somethign going wrong for our ride this weekend... i'll get to it sometime next week...
    [​IMG]

Also finally got a nice pic of the turbocity skidplate and engine guard! This thing is pretty freaking beefy... and I know we all love beef... ;) I'm not nervous at all about dropping the bike now...
    [​IMG]

So at this point I have some concerns/questions:
    The aforementioned jet requires that the bottom of the carb be taken off... there are 4 little screws there and of course they're seized on... I havent stripped them out yet, but that seems highly likely.. any tips for not trashing my carb? I know people replace them with the allen head bolts, but... I hafta get them out first!!!! :cry

Also, I bought the nice turbocity windscreen. Love it, its huge... but.. the mounting brackets are made to mount to the triples and handlebar clamps... which aren't stock so they won't bolt on.. im just not sure if it's worth modifying them to fit... or just return it and get a different one? or, since i have to customize anyway, make one from scratch myself with a bmw dakar windscreen, which I think would look trick as hell anyway...?

mounting brackets in question:
    [​IMG]
  13. LaOutbackTrail

Oddometer:
    I might be interested in buying those brackets off of you.

Its the one that you need for the front rack too, right? Do you know if you can mount the rack and windshield together? EDIT: I see now where they can work together.

I can say from experience that you probably wont like having those aluminum cans weighing you down unless you are only doing hwy.... and then you'll notice the drag that place on the bike which in turn reduces your MPG
  14. underkill

Oddometer:
    Well I think I can still return the windshield... So i'd sell it to you for what I paid for it... if you wanted to do that...

Yeah... I figure I'd take the panniers off when we get to camp and then go ride... But mostly I did buy them for trips and such...

Hopefully after work I can go get a chain that's long enough. apparently a 120link chain won't fit on a 16t front sprocket... ohwell..
  15. underkill

Oddometer:
    Had planned to use my shiny new panniers this weekend on a camping trip, but as it turns out we're not camping, we're hoteling... so.. I can fit all the crap i need for a couple days in a fanny pack (figuratively, fanny packs aren't very flattering), so the panniers might not even get used for another week or so... :cry either way, here they are!
    [​IMG]

Also a while back I sniped a nice fluffy black sheepskin off ebay. It was made for a big ole harley and has cutouts for the driver backrest (:eek1) so I still have to trim some off the back and make some sort of mounting situation... probably utilize shoestring and velcro for this one.
    [​IMG]
    Nope, turn signals still aren't done. :roflWhole garage full of hardware and I can't find any in a size that'll work with a nut to match... I guess I get to run to Advance tomorrow morning..

I found a chain that was long enough finally and got a pic of my new 16t front sprocket in the process. Hopefully it'll make first gear more usable and highway speeds less sewing-machine-from-hell-able.... :clap
    [​IMG]

Also, for those of y'all that wanted to see what just the racks look like... here ya go!
    [​IMG]

Anyway, I find that this thread has turned into "things i'll do to my XT when I stop being a lazy turd". Hopefully in a few weeks i'll have it all sorted out. Anyway, having failed to get the new jet in, I did adjust the pilot screw 3 turns out like was suggested and it worked GREAT! The bike always had to fight a little bit to start and needed a lot of warmup time.... Today was our first colder day in a while and after adjusting the screw it started right up and i could take the choke off after just a little bit... I'm VERY pleased... Can't wait to get that stupid jet in and uncork the exhaust! I guess we'll see tomorrow how it all works out and how she runs up in the cold mountains and how many mpg i'll get. Now I just gotta get off this stupid computer and PACK! :clap
  16. LaOutbackTrail

Oddometer:
    Where'd you get the 16t sprocket? How about a list of the vendors where you purchased your stuff? :nod

Gracias very mucho.
  17. underkill

Oddometer:
    Thumpertalk:
    16t sprocket
    130 main jet(s)
    new air filter

Pitposse:
    black Ktm high bend Renthals
    silver bar adapters

Turbocity:
    windshield
    skidplate

Happy trails:
    sweet panniers and rack
  18. underkill

Oddometer:
    First ride report!

Temperature was in the 50's and VERY windy. Went out with no windscreen, the 16t sprocket, and panniers. We left the house with the intention of driving the 2-3 hours to Kitty Hawk, NC and the outer banks area. We had wanted to go to the mountains but since my bike wasn't entirely back together and we couldn't leave friday, we gave up on that. Anyway, it was moderatly sunny as we made our way to the border. There were acres upon acres of peanut (I think) fields that were bright golden yellow. It looked like an entire forest of fall trees had shed their leaves, only without the trees. As we left the house it felt pleasant outside, just a little breezy but 20 miles in it got worse and worse. Average speed at the time was around 55 and me and my little XT were getting blown around pretty bad... Not a good day to test out the panniers, although I bet they didn't make that big of a difference... By the time we got into NC I was getting pretty cold and was having a heck of a time keeping the ole girl in a straight line. We flew by the border to Pasquetank county like a little blue bat outta hell. Me at full tuck cowering behind the tiny dual sport screen with the XT leaned over to the left fighting the wind. I bet we looked quite the sight... a little girl in full race mode on an equally as little blue dual sport with huge aluminum cases bolted to the sides following a big orange dual sport that strangely resembles a llama... Oh well, I wasn't in the mood to pay attention to what the cagers were thinking at the time. I was hanging on for dear life... The further we went, the windier it got. One thing i've noticed about this area in north carolina is that one side is usually tall trees, while the other is swampland. This one stretch was no exception. The left side was low wet swamp with half dead, misshapen trees jutting up randomly. It felt like some remote location in africa, if you could forget you were actually on a small paved highway. Gotta start somewhere I suppose. We stopped at a small convenience store and decided that neither of us were having much fun. I was freezing my ass off and we still had a couple of hours left. The outer banks is also known to be a notoriously windy region. All I wanted was to go to the outer banks and get a nice sticker to put on my panniers... as a prize for completing my first actual adventure, but it looked as though I would be returning empty handed, cold, and hungry. We turned back around and decided to take the small roads back home. Which I always find more interesting anyway. We passed a pen full of tiny goats and sheep. I thought to myself "HA! I'm riding one of you right now!" as I looked at the scraggly little sheep. Although my sheepskin is black, so they probably told him not to come home for thanksgiving a long time ago. Fair enough... We continued down the little country roads, passing a mixture of run down abandoned houses, singlewide trailers, and stately old white farmhouses keeping watch over their fields. The cotton fields are in full swing right now, so the air smelled earthy and slightly bitter somehow. Earlier it smelled like Mcdonald's, which was strange but pleasant. I like hamburgers. Anyway, as we were driving along, still getting tossed around by the wind, we passed another animal pen with geese, horses, goats, sheep, and an old donkey. The guy had a regular petting zoo all there in his backyard inside a chain link fence. I've also noticed driving along in the country almose everyone has a project vehicle sitting out behind the house. I have a couple friends that can't say no to a rescue animal. Abused, unwanted, unloved, neglected; they'll make room in their house for them and love them and nurture them back to health, even though they really don't have the room or money to do so... Well, I feel the exact same way about old hot rods... We passed one beatiful 50's sedan rotting away under some trees that I just wanted to pick up and give a new home, but i'd have had a hell of a time towing it back on the XT... and Jason would kill me if i brought home another one. Further down this road we passed a big bush that someone had cut into the shape of a duck head. Very random. The closer we got to home, the more the wind seemed to die down. As we passed back into Virginia the clouds broke apart and the sun came back out. Which does a lot to help morale, but not nearly enough to keep my hands warm, which i'd started setting on the warm engine to warm them back up. I find I don't use the clutch nearly as delicately as I should when I can't move my fingers. We rode through a cute little downtown of some cute little town whose name I don't remember and pulled back into the driveway just shy of 100 miles on our little mini-adventure.

I've definatly noticed some thing that I need to get before we ride home for christmas:

Windscreen-even just a small one, but I need one. the wind hits me right below my neck which sends it down my jacket. I really want to fit one off of a bmw dakar. That would be very very cool.

Jetting- movign the screw out a bit helped, but it still has a bit of a cold start problem, and since I gutted the airbox, i'm pretty sure it needs a little more fuel. That will also allow me to work on the exhaust as well.

Tank- more fuel range will be nice, but mostly I want to make the tank wider so it protects my legs from the wind better. I really loved this about the 6.6gal acerbis I had on the KTM. my legs never got cold.

Throttle rocker- I want one of those things so i dont have to keep my death grip on the throttle the whole time.. my right hand starts to hurt and it rather sucks...

Things I like about my little bike:

well, besides everythign! I seriously love this little thign.. so light and easy to handle, finally something short enough that i feel totally 100% confident in riding... It's great. The 16t sprocket made first and second just perfect. I can actually use them now. Love it. Also love my sheepskin. The set on the XT isn't that great, but we rode for a couple hours without ANY pain at all.. usually i'm moving around the whole time, but i sat in pretty much the same place the whole ride. It was great and im pretty sure it helped keep my ass warm. Totally awesome. I love my handlebars too.. soooo comfy. just the right bend, and the slight increase in height does a lot for my personal comfort.

So, I love the bike! Next weekend we're for sure riding to the mountains, so I'll be more prepared and actually do some offroading I hope. I hope to have the carb/exhaust situation done by then as well. No report on MPG with the sprocket yet..

Overall it's been a very interesting day so far! Pics later after lunch... :lol3
  19. underkill

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here she is in full "fluffy beast" mode! :rofl
  20. KrustyKustom

KrustyKustom Lets Go....

Oddometer:
    Love the sheepskin...

I too have a xt225, mine is a 07 model. I was wondering who the manufacturer was of the billet rear rack? Does it have a name engraved into it? I have a similar on on my KTM 990, it was made by zip-ty industries.

What pilot screw did you adjust on the carb? My bike runs so LEAN, it is almost dangerous. It takes forever to warm up, no joke 20 minutes after you start it, it is still wanting to stall and miss!! I only have 120 miles on it so far.

How did the 16t sprocket do on the top end?

Nice thread.....