XT225 from Raleigh to VT-TWVT-TET-TMT-PDR!!!!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by moterbiker, Jul 15, 2010.

1. moterbiker

moterbiker Gypsy diver

Oddometer:
    I left this morning from home on the XT, I have been planning this for months and now the time is finally here.

A fairly quick (sort of, the bike has only 15 HP) ride up out of the city before it got too hot to one of my favorite spots, Willvile bike camp. I am holding up here till Sunday so I can spend the weekend with my wife, she will get here tomorrow after she gets out of work. Sunday I leave and head North up to WV to pick up the TWVT, I hope to make it up to Watoga state park

Great scenery up here:
    [​IMG]
    The Bike
    [​IMG]
    Probably the last trip for the old Eureka tent
    [​IMG]

More Sunday as long as Verizon gets a signal somewhere :D
  2. Wudscrasher

Wudscrasher Stand-Up Philosopher Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck!

:lurk :wave

(subscribed)
  3. OldCoot

OldCoot Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  4. BusyWeb

BusyWeb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap
  5. intothenew

intothenew Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer:
  6. DualSPRTfan

DualSPRTfan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :ear :lurk
  7. MikeBike4

MikeBike4 Hacked

Oddometer:
  8. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    the little engine that could :thumb

9. Gypsy

Gypsy YamaHo

Oddometer:
    After breakfast at Mabry Mill, he started heading north today. I'll meet him in VT next Saturday.
  10. moterbiker

moterbiker Gypsy diver

Oddometer:
    Day 1.
    I made it to Watoga State Park. it was a fantastic day of riding. The first half was a route that I made up from a previous route with some modifications from Will Beers the owner of Willville MC campground. For those that haven't been there I hope that maybe Chip will integrate my route into his TWVT, it is a really nice way to get down to that place staying off the big roads, once there it really is nice riding in that area.

My day started out having breakfast at Mabry Mill with my wife and Woody. After he snapped a pic for us:

[​IMG]

After we said our goodbyes we all went our separate directions. The riding this morning was great, nice and cool, sunny and clear. Here is a pic I snapped of the mornings ride.

[​IMG]

Then a section that Will told me about that is this nice long dirt road that follows a river. Can you imagine having to walk over this bridge when it was operational to bring your groceries home?

[​IMG]

Gonna try and keep track of gas for the trip. I didn't start with a full tank though so I guess I will have to go from here.

[​IMG]

Up into the forest on a 5 mile forest road after passing a bunch of people on horses and wagons, I was nice and waited for them all to move over and went by them quietly to not spoke the horses.

[​IMG]

After getting on the TWVT I came to a never used downhill and decided to have a quick lunch and a break.
    These pics never show how steep something is do they?
    [​IMG]
    Saw a bunch of these today

[​IMG]

But didn't use any of these

[​IMG]

Later after riding through a section with a lot of campsites along a river I turned up a really cool extremely windy road that snaked through the mountains for around 10 miles.
    Lots of corners like these
    [​IMG]

I then made the decision to do the Alt 1 section of T3, Gypsy and I did part of this 2 or 3 years ago, it is the back way into Watoga State forest from the south, we didn't make it. I remember looking at the road the GPS wanted to put us on and told her to wait, I rode up it a little bit, it seemed like an old very rutted Jeep trail. Me not being sure if that was actually the road we wanted to be on I decided to turn around, it was a pretty big detour and it started getting dark on us, we ended up stopping at a US forestry service primitive campground off of 92 I think.I wish I went there tonight with all the freaking kids running around here screaming!

Anyway back to the story.
    I went through around 6 miles of terrain like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I was getting tired, hungry and sloppy in all that slop, it was hard to stop and put a foot down without it slipping out from under you. I was glad I didn't take the wife down this especially with DS tires

Once through I was trying to decide to keep going or not, I had ridden 200 miles at an average of 30 MPH or so and the sky opened up. That made my decision for me, I found someone who had an open wireless router and chatted with the wife and told her I was safe and was calling it a day.

Great Day it was!!

A couple of cold ones and some easy freeze dried camp food and I think I am gonna crawl in the tent and watch a movie.
  11. moterbiker

moterbiker Gypsy diver

Oddometer:
    I am currently in Canaan Valley, I keep seeing moto tire tracks on the roads, wonder if someone else is doing this in front of me:ear

Today has been nuts, I will get to that later, still want to get another 120 or so in today but the weather has been crappy till an hour ago and all my crap is wet including my boots.
  12. 243Win

243Win Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    $2.47 for GAS!!!!!!!!!

Man, it is right around three bucks out here,...
  13. Stinson

Stinson Adventurer

Oddometer:

Moterbiker,

Four of us were out there this weekend, we left NOVA and rode down to the end of T3. We went through Canaan Valley Friday or Sat, I don't remember its a blurr.
  14. driller

driller Twist and Go

Oddometer:
    My Sherpa told me it wants to find out more about TWVT. It even said "will you take me to where you used to live in Maine and show me the sights? Vermont would be nice too."
    Safe travels.
  15. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. moterbiker

moterbiker Gypsy diver

Oddometer:
    Today started off pretty bad. Woke up around 6:30, ate breakfast and had coffee at camp. Just as I was getting ready to start the bike I start hearing thunder off in the distance. I decided to put the rain gear on minus the gloves just in case. Before I got 5 miles down the road I had to stop for the rain gloves, then I filled the tank up and the woman told me it was supposed to be a bad day, great.
    Gas in WV is expensive!

[​IMG]
    Old time station, my Great Grandfather had an oil well on his farm in WV and pumped for Pennzoil.
    [​IMG]

I kept going and so did the rain, it really started coming down, that is more than my 5 year old frog toggs can take on a bike with no windscreen, wet sucks.
    Fortunately following the route I quickly turned off into the forest and at least the slowing for the forest roads slowed the rains entrance. I kept going and in some places it was really slick, I only stopped for a few pics because I didn't want to keep my camera in the tankbag with all the rain.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Eventually I got to a turnoff for Old Pike Road, apparently it has signifigance from the civil war, battles were fought over it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This road was just sopping wet, water was running every which way on it and it was slippery as hell even with knobbies on a little bike. Big bikes would have been a major handful on this while wet, if you were on a GS with Tourances you would still be trying to pick it up, you couldn't get the traction to do it with out help.

On a side note I am sure that there are people like me that have never ridden any real distance on knobbies. in the dirt it is hard to explain how it feels. For the most part traction is better, but when you go into a corner and it slips, it really slips, and you think that you are going down, then the side knobs sort of catch and you stop sliding.

After all that I went into the forest roads which really travel a long way. At some point the rain stopped and I finally saw the sun, maybe things were looking up. I kept going as I has actually gotten cold from being wet for a while until I got to Laurel Fork overlook (or something like that) and stopped for lunch and to dry things off. Chicken BBQ MRE was pretty good a it was nice to stand in the sun outside to eat. I also stopped bye the Laurel Fork campground that I think there is an ADV event at, might have to go to the next one.
    [​IMG]
    Break in the clouds
    [​IMG]

I stopped at Canaan for internet and to call the wife, WV should be called the no cell service state. Got a bottle of wine too which I am enjoying at a campfire as I type this.

[​IMG]
    It was really great coming off one mountain range into a valley that got up to 96 degrees and then climb right back up another mountain and have it cool off.

I got to the Hawk CG around 5:15, there is only one other person here, no kids and it is free, I can skip the shower tonight. How can you beat that?
    Dinner
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If things go well I should get to the Riverfront CG north of Harrisburg tomorrow.

Today's total was 254 miles. max speed of 60.9. The moving average is screwed as usual because I never remember to stop it when I get somewhere.
    Total so far 467.8.

More later
  17. intothenew

intothenew Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer:
    Watoga to Hawk in one day, in the rain. :clap
  18. Gypsy

Gypsy YamaHo

Oddometer:
    where are the pic's of YOU?!? :ddog :whip Your feet don't count. Your WIFE would like to see your face covered in mud!:D
  19. GetYourOwn

GetYourOwn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you get a chance run the Canaan Valley loop. You can pick it up in blackwater falls state park.
  20. buddha

buddha buried in the sand...

Oddometer:
    Subscribing. Looks like a great trip!

I had not heard of the TWVT. Just filled out the form to get the route myself.