Xt250 or ttr250 for the rotund rider

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Steiglitz, Aug 29, 2021.

1. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I note we don't know what state you live in, rego cost varies considerably between states.
  2. Steiglitz

Steiglitz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There's a drz that I've been keeping an eye on as well. Unfortunately I'm in Danistan so test rides aren't easily organised
  3. Steiglitz

Steiglitz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didn't make the connection, I've watched some of your ttr videos on youtube
    tripodtiger likes this.
  4. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    It probably doesn't matter that much which one you chose. Once you've got one, you wont know what you missed out on with the other.

They will both cruise on gravel roads at decent speeds. Both will be cramped if you stick too much gear on them. I know the TTR is less fuel efficient than a DR650 or DRz400, as it's wide open most of the time.
    You'll loose out if you're riding with someone on anything even slightly bigger, if they open the taps. If they leave you behind, they weren't good mates.
    Get into some doggie stuff and you'll be waiting for them. And helping them lift them up.

Mechanical issues are pretty easily solved on either of them. My next effort will be replacing the cam chain etc. and I'm 'The Muckanic'. One of my mechanic mates has just stipulated that I don't start that job until I have another bike running and registered. Sceptic.

Just thought of another aging soft roader - XL230 Honda. They are a nice little bike, if a bit underwhelming.

TTR has a 6 speed gearbox.

My videos...:shog Pretty crap. I put them up for those that were on the ride.
  5. Steiglitz

Steiglitz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey you looked like you were having fun.
    We've got a big ride planned next year, I'll be looking at a klr650 or cb500x for that. I'm still lams restricted. Everyone else will be on bmw 1250s etc
    But for now just looking for a cheap on/off road bike to explore local trails around 30 mins from home and maybe the odd overnighter. Get some practice on the gravel etc
    tripodtiger likes this.
  6. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love our little XT for exactly those purposes, general plodding along// some commuting and dirt+gravel weekends.

Main purchase attractions were lower seat, tubeless rear hoop for quick and easy tyre repairs out in the greenery, EFI (no messing around with carbs) and a good number of very low mileage 2.hand bikes out there (finished up with a 2017 model that still had ~ half its very first tank of juice in it...144km on the odo)
    Fired up instantly on the 3year old juice and a 2hr. battery charge.
    Stock fuel range ~260km to dry
    sidetrack one and Steiglitz like this.
  7. Steiglitz

Steiglitz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Out of curiosity, what's your height and weight if not too rude to ask? I'm losing weight but do yoyo and wouldn't want to break the bike :)
  8. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    65kg/5'10 for the "owner" (better half)
    100kg / 6ft for the more regular user (me, more often grab the keys for the XT over those for the bigger bikes, the thing's just too easy/fun :-)
    Real use is about 70% road, 30% off pavement
  9. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Go the TTR, it's a much better handling bike offroad.
    All "trail" bikes are inherently a compromise between road and gravel, with poor handling at the extremes. The TTR, as a registerable enduro bike, will be just as good on-road (seat not withstanding) and miles ahead in handling offroad. Hit some bumpy rocky stuff and an XT will pogo/ricochet you from one obstacle to the next largely as a passenger, whereas the TTR will remain in your control.
    Go for handling primarily, it is a primary safety function too.
    Steiglitz and LeglessOne like this.
  10. Steiglitz

Steiglitz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi
    What's a realistic cruising speed on both bikes when you're loaded up with your gear vs rider only?
  11. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Always loaded for touring,we sit on 90kph DSC04805 (Large).jpg
    Gazman likes this.
  12. Steiglitz

Steiglitz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, and stints of a 100kmh doable when necessary?
    sidetrack one likes this.
  13. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes,sure!
  14. tripodtiger

Oddometer:
    Depends on gearing. Small changes can have big effects.
    I went too tall on the TTR. It wouldn't hold 6th, even though it would possibly do 120km/h.

I've fixed it since.
  15. Steiglitz

Steiglitz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How do they go stock gearing? Another ttr has popped up online for sale now. Lockdown can't end soon enough. Getting impatient to test ride, not that we can ride anywhere right now, or nowhere exciting that is. Currently in my head, I'm picturing the xt as a mini Himalayan and the ttr as a mini drz400, sound about right?
  16. tripodtiger

Oddometer:
    No idea regarding stock gearing. I went to a 15 on the front as I was putting it back together. I don't know what the original ratio is. I don't remember what I've got on the rear, I think it's 49. I'll have to check. Watch this space.
  17. RAR

RAR bRARp.....

Oddometer:
    VideoCapture_20210908-110013.jpg

Go the XT for fully sic-ness and big skids.
    Steiglitz likes this.
  18. Steiglitz

Steiglitz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How do they go stock gearing? Another ttr has popped up online for sale now. Lockdown can't end soon enough. Getting impatient to test ride, not that we can ride anywhere right now, or nowhere exciting that is. Currently in my head, I'm picturing the xt as a mini Himalayan and the ttr as a mini drz400, so
    Whereabouts was that sickness and skids photographed? Obsessed with deserts
  19. RAR

RAR bRARp.....

Oddometer:
    Big ass Red.
    My wife and I rode our xt250s from birdsville to poepels cnr and back , as a day trip, last year.

VideoCapture_20210908-121004.jpg VideoCapture_20210908-120918.jpg
    tripodtiger and Steiglitz like this.
  20. Steiglitz

Steiglitz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Depending on what happens next year, supposed to be joining my brother and friends Port Douglas to the gulf then straight down the guts of qld , South Aust then through Vic. Every one else will be on large Bmws, so clpser to the time, if it goes ahead, will probably get a klr but in meantime, happy to plod along on a 250 and learn off road skills on one.