Xtrig preload adjuster damages shock

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by argonaut_west, Sep 12, 2021.

1. argonaut_west

argonaut_west Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wanted to be able to adjust the preload on my 2020 KTM 690 enduro. Tapping on the adjuster screw a couple times felt dangerous as the stock adjuster is plastic and was getting trashed with a couple taps. Went to a suspension shop and they did not have a tool that could reach in, so I ordered an Xtrig preload adjuster. I had the shop install it and they said it went on perfectly. They have installed many of them. When I went in to adjust the sag, we only got a couple turns out of the Xtrig before it started to seize up. We tuned it the other way and it seized up again. We were using an impact driver. Unhappy with the resistance to turning we decided to take things apart. When we got the shock off, and the spring off, the xtrig was still frozen. All we could do is cut the darn thing off. Upon inspection we found a big chunk of the shock body thread imbedded in the threads of the xtrig.. Obviously a thread war had gone on and the xtrig won. Unfortunately I was screwed. I tried to get the vendor to send me another one and they refused, sending me to the distributor. The distributor wanted to see the pieces so I sent them in. Of course they claimed it was not their fault, and tried to blame the installer. They think my shock threads were bad to begin with, or the installer stripped it going in. I doubt either of those as the bike is almost new, and the installer was experienced. We plan to replace the threaded body of the shock, and I'll buy another xtrig, but I cannot figure out what happened to me. Has anyone else had an xtrig trash their shock threads?

Attached Files:

2. DJKuhn

DJKuhn Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmm this is the first I've seen anyone having issues... does seem to indicate a problem either with the xtrig or with the shock threads? Is that why you used an impact wrench? (I'd not use an impact wrench to adjust it... I don't think it should need that much force and if it IS fighting you that much then an impact wrench is more likely to break something).
    Gedrog likes this.
  3. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would look to the installer, something happened during install. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the unit itself unless there is a difference in thread pitch that came into play once it got that far down the shock body. Does the worm drive have a pinch bolt? Maybe that was clamped down too tight and locked it in place and when you applied impact driver things broke. I agree with above, wouldn't use an impact driver but maybe a drill at low speed. I have one on my bike and adjusted it up and down with it issue.
  4. Jeff Sichoe

Jeff Sichoe ruddy bastard

Oddometer:
    Lots of noise on the net around 690 shocks with soft threads, probably just need to run a file through the threads to tidy them up before trying to install a new xtrig.
  5. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any chance this was due to the impact drive. I would never use an impact to adjust an Xtrig...
    roookie1 likes this.
  6. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Who uses an impact on a suspension setting? Those are for flywheel bolts, clutch hubs and sprocket nuts. I understand if you were just trying to get it off and couldn't any other way but that also didn't work. Next time skip the impact for this kind of stuff, the cause is now unidentifiable based on the use of that tool.
  7. Enduro93

Enduro93 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Could be due to the impact driver... I had a similar problem with a seizing of the worm drive (corkscrew). Good luck if you have to deal with Xtrig directly, their customer service is absolutely horrible.
  8. argonaut_west

argonaut_west Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The impact driver used was a small electric handheld one, not a big one for large nuts. When I asked the distributor about using that tool, he said that was OK, and many people used them with success on xtrigs. He suggested using a good fitting driver. Still, I'm with you, and will not be using one next time around.
  9. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put an Xtrig on my 2020 690. Did the install myself.

I don't trust shop mechs to work on my bikes, let alone those that tell me something "went on perfectly". If there was a problem with the shock body threads, you'd think the mech would have noticed when dis-assembling the shock, removing the spring and adjustment collar. Having done my own install of the Xtrig, depending on the method and apparatus used, I don't think it would be too hard to damage the body threads while using a spring compressor to get the spring off.

I agree with not using a powered driver to adjust the Xtrig. You can't feel any change in torque or resistance that a threading problem would manifest itself as. I use a 1/4" ratchet, 6" extension and a socket and turn it by hand. I have recorded how many full turns it takes to adjust sag for luggage-less riding vs. a weekender setup vs. a BDR setup and back.
    RideFreak likes this.
  10. zoink

zoink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You almost certainly mangled it with the impact.

The instructions say to use a drill or manual tools for adjustments. Drill and impact apply torque in different ways.

The shock on these bikes doesn't require a spring compressor to disassemble and install the xtrig. You have to thread the xtrig all the way to the top of the shock to reinstall the spring, then adjust it back down to the appropriate preload. If the threads were damage prior to the install, they would've had issues even getting the thing on.
  11. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wish that were true on my 690. I screwed the stock adjuster collar all the way to the top but still had to use a compressor to relieve remaining spring preload to get the 2 halves of the seat out and same for reinstalling them.
  12. zoink

zoink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Mind had a little bit of tension on it, but I could easily push it with my hands and get the collet off. Does yours have the newer xplor shock w/ 250mm travel? Slavens says not needing to compress the spring applies to all of them, but may not be the case.
  13. DJKuhn

DJKuhn Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    their docs show using a screwdriver to lever the spring up... I have an xtrig sitting on my desk that I'll install once the new spring (higher rate to support my >185lb bulk) comes in (it's backordered). I'll let you know how it goes on my 20.

If it's stiff I'll probably use the zip tie approach to compress it.
  14. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's weird how it got hung up on a thread about halfway in the middle of the XTrig, after threading on ok to that point.

My guess is a small mismatch in the threading caused the XTrig to shave off a fraction of a thread from the shock body, which rolled up causing binding, preventing it from turning either way. Aluminum on aluminum fittings are so sticky if a tiny sliver of aluminum wedges in there.

The stock collar is nylon, and maybe that is better. But of course if this were a regular problem with XTrig adjusters or aftermarket billet shock collars in general, everybody would know.

I think if an impact driver hurt anything it would be the worm drive, whereas this damage is at a specific small spot in the large overall area of collar-to-shock threading.
  15. goldentaco

goldentaco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been looking into using an Xtrig to replace the manual lock ring on my RR (Tractive) shock. Penske uses a Torrington bearing on top of their springs. I wonder of the Xtrig could benefit from something similar to reduce some rotational load on the threads/drive assy?

https://www.penskeshocks.com/product/preload-torrington-bearing-kit/
    [​IMG]