XTZ 750 Deja vu

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by GuidoHL, Oct 19, 2019.

1. GuidoHL

GuidoHL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    Just bought a 1990 XTZ750 here in NZ. It's a UK model (mph) and is the same model I owned when I lived in London in early 90's. This is a slight chance it is even the same bike.
    Anyway, flew to Christchurch to collect and rode back to Hamilton over the next two days. Was after something more rode worthy to compliment my XR650R and I love it.
    My question is, the gear change is quite notchy so you really need to mean it when you change gear and not be timid with your foot. Seem to remember my London bike was similar but after any knowledge from other S10 owners. The clutch drags slightly when stationary but uses full lever to actuate so wondering if perhaps plates are warped. Will pull it apart and check. Bike has 27K miles on it.

Attached Files:

hookeniggy likes this.
  2. neppi

neppi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’d say it’s more like 127K on the clock...

I’d change the oil first (let’s not turn this into another oil-debate, I’ve always used Mobil Delvac...) and order a clutch kit and -cable without even opening the cover first. While waiting, throughly clean and lube the clutch cable. Adjust the cable. Shouldn’t drag and shouldn’t have to use so much lever.

Awesome score! Enjoy the ride!

edit: the clutch has a cable, right? I mean I never owned one of those before... wanted thou...
  3. lithodave

lithodave brachy850 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice bike. Your transmission may be similar to a TDM 850 transmission. Very notchy. Like an old pickup truck. You have to shift with intention. But. Be gentle going from 2nd to 3rd particularily.
  4. GuidoHL

GuidoHL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response. Yes, had a couple of jumps back to second under throttle when I didn't change firmly. I know my original S10 did this on occasion. I'll have a look inside soon and take it from there. Regarding the mileage, it doesn't show signs of extremely high miles/Kms but of course what shows on the speedo must always be taken with a grain of salt unless you know the history of the bike. It sounds ok but time will tell. If anyone is interested the image is called XTZ Oyster Bay because it's on the coastal loop from Tuamarina turnoff anti clockwise to Picton, ferry crossing point from south to north Island, New Zealand. Great little loop about half gravel, half seal and approximately 1 million corners!
  5. Dan uk

Dan uk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    GuidoHL how'd you get on with clutch?
    Mine is heavy...
    I've checked and oiled cable no joy. it slips intermittently and I can't make this happen, also had a strange rattle out of her wen i open throttle full at low rpm's
    EBC kit on order
  6. GuidoHL

GuidoHL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Dan,
    All I've done to date is change the oil and lubricate the cable. I'm using "Castrol Power 1" 10-40W semi synthetic which I use in my XRR and YZF450 without problems. It seems better as in less clunky but it's probably more that I've got used to changing firmly. The clutch isn't light but definitely not heavy.
    I would guess an issue with plates or springs would lead to a repeatable slip. There are a couple of needle/thrust bearings in the clutch that could be worn but I don't recall your bike has many miles on it and it is after all a yamaha! If you disconnect the cable at the engine can you turn the lever with a spanner smoothly? It runs in needle bearings and has a little gear pinion to pull the clutch.
    Re the rattle - Could be as simple as a loose chain or worn chain guides when you give throttle as at low revs will tend to slap or snatch more.
    I guess the issue with these bikes is that most of the bike mechanics around now don't know them otherwise I'd say take it to a shop and get them to go for a spin to see if they can determine anything. Probably still worth trying if you know a good shop.
    Good luck.
    Nick.
    Dan uk likes this.
  7. Dan uk

Dan uk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi nik thanks for taking the time 2 reply
    17k kms on bike
    I'm on motul 10 40 semi so not cheap crap oil, I hope?
    Chain guide worn but not gone same with the rollers worn
    Chain n sprockets good
    So I spose all cud be factors
    Chain guides seem expensive 60+GBP rollers 25 each all will be needed

Shop's local aren't interested in anything pre 'obd' plug in so I got a hands on mindset witch is dangerous and my wife made me this IMG_20191031_193158.jpg IMG_20191031_193214.jpg that should help me along the way..
    I'm riding every day and don't seem 2 be getting worse I have lots of parts 2 fit thermo switch this weekend, clutch kit on list
  8. GuidoHL

GuidoHL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's the same manual I have which I brought back from London in '93. Must have subconsciously known I'd need one in the future. I got a Haynes manual with the bike but the Yamaha one is way better. Nice job with the index tabs! Look forward to hearing how you go with the clutch.
  9. Dan uk

Dan uk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So 6weeks commuting and ratte is back, defo worse 2up and comes in @4k-rpm its worse in high gears low revs throttle 100% (4k-rpm 4th gear), no slippage or loss of power just this terrifying rattle/clattering on hard acceleration if I back off power it's gone.. I feel if I stayed hard on the power something terrible is gona happen any ideas ? I'm thinking something is loose in there clutch side I guessing
  10. GuidoHL

GuidoHL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Dan,
    Took mine for a ride a couple of days ago and experienced the same thing. It's always started vibrating from about 4.5K rpm but this was the first time I've really rev'ed it out and it vibrated quite harshly. I've seen a couple for sale in the past that advertised clutch work so perhaps there is a common issue there. Will watch this with interest.
  11. GuidoHL

GuidoHL Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. Dan uk

Dan uk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes I did read that too.. I am a lil worried about re riveting stainless rivets.. lookin for 2nd hand tdm basket
  13. GuidoHL

GuidoHL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have you actually looked at the basket Dan? I'm away for a few days but will pull mine out as soon as I''m home to have a look.
  14. Dan uk

Dan uk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've Not wanted to open her up with out parts on hand, I don't mind giving her new clutch plates and springs just for the sake of it, and will need a gasket to take a look so if I have a basket to hand- as well as clutch kit hope 2 cover all angles of clutch
    I ride her every day for work so can't be with out bike for long
  15. GuidoHL

GuidoHL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Dan, did you find any parts for your S10? I took my clutch out today and it is mint. Good in that it's good to know the condition but means Ill have to look elsewhere for the cause of vibration. Or perhaps it's a twin thing?
  16. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    carbs synchronized?
    check valves? - gotta be on top of them. expensive repairs can loom within, otherwise.
  17. GuidoHL

GuidoHL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Yamalama,
    I'm not really familiar with the feel of carbs out of sync but feel the vib/rattle is more mechanical and heavier than valves would exhibit. But I'm now wondering if it's a cam chain thing? I saw a reference to the adjuster sticking somewhere here. So will remove and check/clean that. Trying to think of things that would give this feel apart from the obvious gearbox components - mostly 'cause I don't want to go there yet!
    Also crossed my mind that starter idler/drive gear or one way bearing might vibrate if worn?
    That's a good looking S10 in your avatar - yours?
  18. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    mine. bought it in the UK 6 years ago - has the TRX motor. i owned a nice '89 beforehand.
    did you check the sprocket fit on the output shaft? - another potential issue with these bikes.
    i mentioned the valves - due to many people avoiding proper maintenance here, and the expense of rebuilding. - i learned that the hard way, on the red bike.
    fullsizeoutput_b9.jpeg
  19. GuidoHL

GuidoHL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice. Really like the rothmans colours. Does the TRX have a similarly low first gear or is it more roady? What are the forks off? I've just put CRF450R forks on mine with oversize (320mm) disc but could do with stiffer springs.

I think the long intervals with valve adjustment makes folk feel they can forget about them. It's a job on my list. Haven't looked at the sprocket but will do - thanks.
  20. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    TRX has a higher first gear. not the best at walking speed. WR450 forks. i believe the upgraded springs are rated at .54 - i used racetech.