XXX Attack (And the Grey GSA Goose) on the NEBDR

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Dorito, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Our first stopover in Maine. We had about 1 hr wait before dinner. I decided to go wading in the lake, while the boys lounged about.

[​IMG]
  2. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Day 6: Track 6 complete (Into Lovell, ME)

While track 6 did not have any challenges today, it was fun a mixture of scenery. Never had a bad run through the White Mountains, today included. Drove through another Covered Bridge. Nice elevation changes too.

[​IMG]

Then a nice trot on the Mt Washington Auto Road. Seems any old bucket of bolts will summit these days
    [​IMG]

The trains are neat because the rear elevates so that it tracks parallel to the tracks despite the angle of the ascent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blaster is most impressed with his latest sticker....the Squatch of Mt Washington
    [​IMG]

We decide to put another state in the rear view mirror and start the next track into Maine. It's late afternoon, and to make matters worse, we really don't have good intel on where to stop for the night. We more or less through a dart at a town on the map and make that the vector point. And it works out to be a good one indeed. The first two hotels we stopped at were closed for the season, or had blocked out their book. But we do catch a spectacular meal at the Lodge at Pleasant Point (Notice the Birch Trees decor)

[​IMG]

We ended up at the Old Soco Inn.
    [​IMG]
    68vette, Amphib, cyclopathic and 2 others like this.
  3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hope you guys finish ride before system catches up.. it is coming down pretty hard here and was wet yesterday.
  4. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Day 7: Mission Complete! Track 7, 8 finished.

[​IMG]

Maine has been a great state! A bit of tarmac, high speed gravel roads, power lines trails, and Canadian Wonderland fauna. We skipped the ATV trails as $300 for 4 bikes to ride <20 miles of trails seemed a bit too spendy. But we had one heck of good ride to the border.

[​IMG]

Paul Bunyan Chair
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The end of the track gets narrower and narrower. Feels a bit like the sidetrip to Esker outside of Churchill Falls, Canada!
    [​IMG]

And as usual, you only pay for a ride when your wheels get wet!
    [​IMG]

And so it ends almost as quickly as it started. Tomorrow, we will finish up the last excursion doing the 23 mile Rangley Loop Lookout. The weather has certainly pushed in quickly and the mercury is falling fast. I do hope that it doesn't snow, and the leaves on the trees have already started to turn vibrant colors. Sunset is also 7:07, which is nearly 30 mins earlier than home.

I am starting to look a bit like a lobster, having ate them for the last 4 meals or so. And with all good adventures, all that end with the question "But did you die" is a good one.

Our newly minted BDR stickers!
    [​IMG]
    cyclopathic, Armyguy and Vrode like this.
  5. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Days 8/9...And Home.

We officially touched the furthest point yesterday, but we have one more patch of dirt to hit before we trek south. The Rangley Overlook was a nice excursion, and is touted to be the best view of Maine. It probably is....

[​IMG]

The X bringing sexy back
    [​IMG]

We start to head south to I-95. Dear God, could their be worse path of travel? We hit Portland Maine around lunch, and yet nobody can be chorused into taking 6 mile trek into to the most wonderful seafood joint, that would be https://jsoysterportland.com/

Armyguy has been shedding electrons off his bike like a molting crab. First his low beam driving light, then all his driving lights and the tail light. It seems that filling the fan motor on your LED bulb with 1700 miles of road grit might actually cause an overcurrent condition. He dutifully disassembles the headlamp that evening, only to start the bike and blow the last remaining fuze. I think we will call that wrap.

Blaster has decided to use his superpower. At least that is how I saw it. He broke his main zipper on his coat leaving Rangley, and now it just flaps around in the wind for 600+ miles homebound.

Two days ago, we checked into a hotel in Maine. The owners were actually in the next state over, but the entire premise was unlocked. They welcomed us to stay and we met the next day to square up. What a contrast that experience was compared to the $5 in fuel that Armyguy tried to pump at the first Maryland service area on I-95. His credit card was declined at the pump, and when he went inside they actually told him all out of state credit cards are automatically declined. :patch

Traffic was brutal for the last 30 miles. Then, I can't believe when the last traffic jam is because we are now in the middle of a street protest. Which is now causing traffic accidents, and the cops just sit there as this all unfolds. Maryland my Maryland, how far have you fallen?
    blaster11 likes this.
  6. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    One additional note is that we did not need to break out our camping gear as hotels were more than happy to rent us a room.....so leave it at home if you want. Save the weight and space which should make your offroading experience much better! The X bikes performed really well on and off road....Army guy is even in more love with his after the trip....she treated him well!
    Armyguy likes this.
  7. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    IIRC you can bypass 95 via 87/84/81/etc good luck
  8. Armyguy

Armyguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 650X performed flawlessly. It can do everything I ask of it...and then some.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  9. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Mike, what a hoot you were. You even thought about reinacting Nate. Well Played!
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/never-leave-a-mans-behind.579306/

Not sure I would have picked such a rocky section to snuggle with your bike, but hey, got to snuggle when you can :lol3
    [​IMG]
    Armyguy likes this.
  10. Armyguy

Armyguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I imagine this ride report would have been dramatically different if I had shown up with garbage bags for panniers and the rest of my stuff attached with bungie cords.
  11. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Final Loose Ends.

First, hotels were no issue in the NorthEast. We had a mix of chain hotels and also some nice (and some 'eclectic') boutique hotels. Not sure which was more bizarre, the Super 8 in Massachusetts that the parking lot also doubled as the Weed dispensary overflow or Steve from Pine Hill. But all beat camping, and all beat the 15 lbs of camping gear we carried and didn't end up needing!

If you ever wondered how Bud Light is created, wonder no more. This was in Rangley Bar bathroom. Are you a creep if you take pictures of urinals?
    [​IMG]

Other than a few hours of rain on the rain to stage at the start, we had some really nice weather (even to summit Mt Washington).
    [​IMG]

If riding S-->N, the first few alts will be the loose, rockiest and steepest which we found the hardest. The later alts are much more mellow, nearly even noteworthy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This could almost be called the weird bridge tour
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally figured out how to get the Sena 20S, 30K, 50S to sync 3 days from home. So sometimes you need to do it the old fashioned way...
    [​IMG]

Kickstand Before and After (Minus the heal grab hoop)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And for all my great navigation, the last wrong turn in NYC was over the GW Bridge for the handsome sum of $11.75! So a 2 mile detour over bridge to first exit then back again. But the icing on the cake was that the bikes don't have fuel gauges, only low fuel lights. Well most of the bikes had the low fuel lights. Except for the one bike that stopped 3/10th of mile short in 6 lanes of traffic!
    Armyguy likes this.