"Ya didn't get such a pretty round mouth eating square meals" - Funemployed on Hondas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by woolfman, Aug 9, 2014.

1. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    its like 70's flashback .
    looks like you are going to have some fun .
    if you guys pass through Birmingham and need a place to camp send me a message.
  2. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really! We survived very similar road tips in the 70s sans proper gear, computers and even cameras. My only mistake was trying to do it on British bikes! lol.
    [​IMG]
    Lovin it.:clap
  3. SloMo228

SloMo228 World Class Cheapass

Oddometer:
    Awesome. I'm in for this one. My first bike was a '79 CX500. If it can survive the abuse I heaped on that poor thing, you guys should be served pretty well by yours.

:clap
  4. FalcoScott

FalcoScott Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is a great idea! I have always wished I did something like this before becoming responsible, or at least having too many responsibilities to get away that long :D

My first bike was a '79 CX500, loved it. If you guys head back East and find yourselves in Northern Virginia, there's beds and cold beer here! And, shelter for the trusty steeds.
  5. ephotrod

ephotrod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any updates?
    Josh
  6. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Subscribed.

"Really! We survived very similar road tips in the 70s sans proper gear, computers and even cameras. My only mistake was trying to do it on British bikes! lol"

Me too :rofl
    Jim
  7. ACR

ACR 59,902

Oddometer:
    If it were not for the cell phones and the 21st century vehicles (and fuel prices) sometimes found within the photos, one could be led to believe this is an ADV trip taken in the 70s. It's no surprise how the travel bug bit 3 other people, bringing everyone together.

Such a cool story, be safe out there and take your time. Watch out for those gravel traps.

:freaky
  8. Trip Hammer

Trip Hammer It's not the years, it's the mileage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Totally IN!!! :clap:clap Fantastic start, guys! Can't wait for more!
  9. woolfman

woolfman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We're in Lead, SD right now, been having too much fun to stop and update. Our families would love to see what were up to so we'll try to catch everyone up a bit.

<style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Cambria; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> After crashing in the cornfield we woke up to light rain, packed fast, and made for the nearest gas station a few miles away. We made coffee on a bench while I checked my bike out a bit more. My handlebars were off and the front wheel didn’t spin well, so we took it apart, loosened the forks and put it all back together. Luckily that’s all it took and its seemed fine ever since.

[​IMG]

I had family in Eastern Chicago we were hoping to visit, so we kept it all day, going through Champaign, IL before working our way North through the cornfields.

[​IMG]

Right on the outskirts of Chicago is where it all went sour. The last 60 miles of our ride took almost 3 hours of stop and go traffic through construction zones, suburban hell, and rush hour. I don’t think the bikes have forgiven us yet, and we surely halved the life of our clutches. We pulled into East Dundee and found my aunt and uncle’s place. I had never been there before and hadn’t seen them in some time. That side of my family is pretty clean cut, and all of the sudden in rolls this ragtag smelly crew of kids on bikes. It was pretty awesome. My cousin Robbie and his wife were there, recently having moved from Seattle. Twice now on road trips I’ve stopped in to see them super last minute and it was fun to continue that trend in a totally different part of the country. They had what may be the biggest line up of burgers, toppings, and sides I’ve ever seen, followed by ice cream, coffee, the whole nine yards. We stuffed ourselves and then had to get back on the road to find a place to camp for the night. We got about 45 minutes further and were in a really wealthy farming community. Think McMansions surrounded by cornfields. Not the sort of place thats easy to find a place for 5 people to pull over around. We eventually found a little field next to Randy’s Cycle center. I figured if it’s a bike place they wouldn’t be opposed to some random bikes crashing off to the side, so we pulled in and set up a tarp on the ground for everyone to lay on.

[​IMG]

It was a great spot, but nobody got any sleep. There was a national mosquito convention right where we landed, and they might as well have had switchblades. It was too hot to sleep in the bags, but any skin that showed was immediately stabbed by hoards of the little suckers. It was a constant battle between overheating or becoming vampire bait. We all tossed, turned, and slapped ourselves all night long before calling it a night around 5:15 and getting out of there.

Another gas station stop brewing coffee on a curb, and we plotted out our route, which was just a short two hour ride towards Madison, Wisconsin.

[​IMG]

We rode through a ton of small towns, stopping occasionally, and ended up in Madison at WorldWide Auto Parts. I suffer from a British Car affliction, MGs in particular, and I wanted to visit my buddy Peter who runs a shop that both supplies parts and rebuilds pretty much any British lever shock absorber out there. We pulled into his parking lot and about wet our pants in excitement at the sight of another Silverwing! We’ve all become really fond of the venerable CX/GL 500 motorcycle…so anytime we see another one its like Christmas. It belonged to one of the guys that works at the shop, and he even had another one inside that he had put 55,000 miles on. All the guys in the shop came out and we spent about 30-45 minutes bullshitting about cars and bikes before heading up to Deforest where Nick’s uncle was at.

[​IMG]

In case you couldn’t tell, the first week of this trip is kind of a nonstop family reunion for all of us, just dropping in to see different relatives and eating some great food. We’ve about run out of family at this point so that’ll be the end of that pretty soon.

Nick’s aunt and uncle let us come take showers in their beautiful old house, made an outstanding breakfast, and just let us hang out for a bit. Ben’s bike wasn’t steering right so we took the front end apart again. We’re getting really good at that… It was here that we realized that his right fork tube is pretty severely bent. I was able to twist the forks around to where the wheel fits straighter and it handles better, but it’ll need to be addressed, especially as its starting to wear his front tire more on one side than another. We’re still looking for a decent one if anyone has one off of a CX500 Standard or Deluxe. Such is life with a $650 bike.

[​IMG]

We packed up and started to make moves towards Valley, Wisconsin where Nick’s aforementioned aunt and uncle have a small off-grid cabin tucked away in the hills. 40 miles of interstate, one utterly ridiculous danceclub disco gas station, a chat with a hot-rodder who lost a rear wheel, and a few small towns later we were almost there. In the small town of Hillsboro, WI, I spotted a CX out of the corner of my eye and made the guys turn around so we could go inquire about spare parts. Unfortunately it was a customer’s bike and they couldn’t help us, but they did tell us about a tractorpull we may try to make.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last fifteen miles to the cabin were pure bliss, no other cars, big sweeping curves, the sun was setting, and just beautiful scenery surrounding us everywhere. We pulled up a dramatic grassy driveway that looked like it was just carved out of the woods and ended up at this picturesque little cabin overlooking the hills. It was kind of like pulling up into the cover of a magazine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We spent the evening around the fire solving the problems of the world and grilling brats with Nick’s family before turning in, this time in tents so as to outsmart our little flying enemies.

I couldn't put our affection for CX500s into words any better. Its like Shakespeare:

[​IMG]

Thursday we were overwhelmingly busy sitting around. It’s a hard life. We put some music on, read, wrote, reorganized the bikes, and late in the afternoon took a little trip into La Farge to pick up food and see what small town Wisconsin was all about.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We went to Phil and Deb’s Tavern, and tried to pick out the crappiest cheap Wisconsin beers we could, but then saw what was both the scariest and most enticing offering there: 4 brown bagged bottles of “mystery”. At $1 a mystery shot we couldn’t resist the opportunity to pick out random unknown and potentially toxic liquors for each other.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few of us sat outside and watched the rush hour traffic (all 5 cars of it) roll by while others shot some pool, then we picked up some food and headed back to the cabin, where we proceeded to have a few Blatzs (some of Wisconsin’s finest) around the fire. There was at least one confirmed chupacabra sighting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic!

11. Wal2

Wal2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :thumb:thumb:lurk
  12. Sliverpicker

Sliverpicker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I subscribed about 5 days ago and have not heard from those boys since then.

Hopefully they are having so much fun they don`t have time to report.

Keep those wheels rollin ! :ricky
  13. spacebro

spacebro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was young and dumb once. It was great. Now I'm old and dumb, and it's still pretty cool. Great idea for a trip, I salute you for doing it. I'll be looking forward to updates. Ride on friends.
  14. KHVol

KHVol Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ..hope evil hasn't befallen our young adventurists...
  15. rockydrxrvr

rockydrxrvr Multi Meter Meathead

Oddometer:
    Oregon Mountains, Great Riding,Not too cold.
    My experience with the CX 500 was stator failure and a bitch to split the rear of the engine to fix it. One of the most difficult repairs, that should have been simple, but buried in the engine.
    I will be amazed if at least one of these bikes don't quit charging due to a stator going south. Had 2, including the Turbo Charged 500, and both did it.
  16. Conundrum29

Conundrum29 Unter den Linden

Oddometer:
    This reminds me of a time when working on our bikes was as much part of the riding experience than the actual riding. :clap
  17. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Great writing and pictures. You are taking some of us older ones on a trip that we wished we had done way back when! :clap

That last update was worth waiting for.
  18. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am enjoying this!
  19. FBR

FBR Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is awesome!:clap
    Love the bikes, love the care free "lets ride" theme of this report.
    I was goin to offer up a place to stay in southern WI, but it seems you have that covered.
    Have a great trip!
  20. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    At almost 57 years of age with a demanding job, a wife who owns a demanding private business, and all those other pressures of daily life I am sincerely jealous of your freedom. Life is very good now, don't get me wrong, but it sure as hell isn't free like you are experiencing. I did plenty of crazy shit exploring when I was younger and have all kinds of wonderful memories to carry me through the days, and I'm looking forward to slowing down the work and speeding up the fun in the near future. This is inspiring! Good on you all, safe and fun travels!

I loved the comment from one subscriber, head for Wyoming! I lived there for a long time and it is truly a place for adventures. Hope you can make it and see for yourselves!

Doug