"Ya didn't get such a pretty round mouth eating square meals" - Funemployed on Hondas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by woolfman, Aug 9, 2014.

1. davidtn

davidtn I think therefore I ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    Head west young man (and women)...just got back from Wyoming/Montana/Colorado...I'm ready to go back today.
  2. deputygene

deputygene Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just saw a Silverwing for the first time a couple days ago. This one looked like it had lived it's entire life in the sun, haad 60 something thousand miles on it. I thought it was a neat looking bike, wondered what issues they might have had.

You guys on the ride, enjoy it, have fun and stay on the road as long as you can!!! Like others said, wish I would have done this when I was younger.
  3. Guitar1327

Guitar1327 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, epic adventure... let me know if you need some pointers or a hot meal in St Paul, MN. I'd love to help out some adventurers!
  4. Dessert Storm

Dessert Storm Dances With Drunks

Oddometer:
    See, you boys know how to do being young properly.
  5. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Great journey and ready for another update :1drink

BTW, you may be able to have a shop with a decent press and some soft jaws
    put a little love on the bent fork tube. Just a little kiss may eliminate most of the problem and if careful (better a little too little rather than a little too much) will do no harm. You guys take the front ends apart quicker than most folks can change their bike's oil. :D
  6. KHVol

KHVol Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was a great start..can't help but wonder what happened.
  7. Harvey Mcgee

Harvey Mcgee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can't wait for more!! Love it!!
  8. Randall-in-Mpls

Randall-in-Mpls Garage Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And I've got a garage and some CX/GL spares, if you have trouble while you're here.

R
  9. woolfman

woolfman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We are currently in Bozeman, Montana! They don't have taxes here! Hard to update frequently because we are all sharing a ten year old glow stick encrusted Macbook that has no battery and only starts up 1 out of every 20 attempts. We've been sitting in a coffeeshop for the past hour and a half trying to get it going, that's how much we care about all of you...

Before we get back to the report, whoever said that a stator was going to go out, we blame you. Ben's bike has become a bit of a problem child, and his stator kicked the bucket back in South Dakota. We are doing the battery juggle and bumpstart routine, using the good bikes to charge his dead batteries, but we really need to get it sorted within the next week or two to make life easier. While a new stator would be nice, Ben's budget would much prefer finding a parts CX that may have a serviceable one and then swapping it over. We aren't afraid of dropping the engine and doing the work, but to do a new stator, gaskets, mechanical seal, and possibly a cam chain (the famed CX triple bypass), the cost is getting up there, so if skimping and shortcutting with a used part will get us by another 5-10K miles, we'll take the chance. Elbow grease and time is free. Such is life with a $650 bike. If anyone out there has any leads within a couple days drive of here, shoot me a PM and I'll give you his phone number.

Anyways....

So this all happened a week and a half ago so the details are fuzzy, but pretty much we left the cabin and headed back to Madison. What great riding! Beautiful roads, perfect for the CX’s preferred 55-60 mph pace… Along the way we stopped in a few small towns, and in Boaz some guy gave us $20 at a gas station and told us to go buy some squeaky cheese.

[​IMG]

We were told the best place to buy it fresh was in Arena, and to look for a giant plastic mouse. 40 miles of plastic mouse searching later we found our cheese paradise, where we loaded up on different flavors of cheese curds/squeaky cheese. The next half hour we chuckled every time we bit into a piece and heard it squeak, and way too much cheese later left there pretty much feeling like shit and with our arteries a little more clogged up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back in Madison wee crashed in Nick’s Aunt’s backyard for 2 nights. Her and her boyfriend are basically twenty year olds that never grew up, and we had a blast with them. They lived in a neighborhood within walking distance to all sorts of great bars, restaurants, coffeeshops, that kind of area. We saw a free Ziggy Marley concert downtown, got taken out to a Brazilian steakhouse by his aunt (Thanks again!), admired all the gorgeous old architecture, saw a naked triker with a stuffed gorilla, snuck into a ridiculous gay night club, drank some great beers, and just generally had an amazing time. All told we spent about a week in Wisconsin, and it vastly exceeded any expectations we had of it, even Ben who had previously lived up here for a year. Wisconsin rocks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After leaving Madison we camped in Blue Mounds and sat out to watch the Supermoon. We had a nice quiet spot and field all to ourselves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Waking up early we made our way over towards the Mississippi and started to follow it Northbound. Along the way we stopped for breakfast at a place called Timothy's. When the slogan is "Famous for bottomless glass of milk", you just have to stop. We walked in and everyone just looked at us like we were from outer space. Bike jackets, long hair, an orange rattail, we aren't you're average small town Wisconsin people... After some coffee and $2 French toast, and a stroll around town we got trucking again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hitting the Mississippi, so far it’s the closest we’ve gotten to actual rain. It was just a little misty and dreary, but following the river North was great.

[​IMG]

Along the way I spotted another CX out of the corner of my eye and we pulled over to ask about it. The kid said that it was his dad's and he wasn’t home. Not a big deal as looked like he had pulled it out of the Mississippi and there wasn’t much useable on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At a gas stop we met some Harley dudes who told us it was pouring cats and dogs just 30 miles North, but somehow we managed to avoid it and pulled into LaCrosse with the sun shining down. For about 2 miles heading into downtown we were overwhelmed with the most intoxicating aroma of pizza to ever hit my nostrils. We all pulled up to a light and just yelled “Pizza!” at each other non-stop. After a brief ride through LaCrosse’s downtown we ended up at their riverside park, walked around, and watched a steamboat ferry pull out. We found some free parking in a garage in town and strolled around. Our weaknesses are pizza by the slice, beer, and used bookstores, and we found all of that within a 1 mile radius of the bikes. Stuffed and loaded down with more books we crossed the river into Minnesota. Again, Wisconsin rocks, and I’d love to go back and spend even more time there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wisconsin!

[​IMG]

We continued to follow the river North into Winona, cruised through it, and then headed West up into the hills.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We rolled through some beautiful farming country before pulling off on a dirt road and hiding out behind a cell tower next to some cornfields. I’m big on just pulling over around dark and crashing in some random place on the side of a road. Be respectful, keep it low key and get out early and you usually won’t have a problem. Some of the others were a little nervous at first but now have gotten into the swing of it and don’t worry as much anymore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We woke up covered in dew, did the morning tank top off and coffee top off for ourselves, and started trucking towards Shakopee, MN through the land of cornfields and anti-abortion signs. At the 6am coffeeshop stop we met the town cops and some more grayhairs that used to have CXs. We've come to the conclusion that every biker out there used to have a CX, they all put tons of miles on them, and they all wish they still had them. We seem to be old men magnets, and we mean that in the least creepiest way possible. Anyways, onto Minnesota.... I have an MG friend who runs a distributor rebuilding business and he welcomed us with open arms. I used to see Jeff seemingly every summer for a few years in a row at the national MG shows, but hadn’t seen him in while. I’d never visited him before but contacted him a few days before we arrived and he said to come on by. We had no idea what to expect and pulled down a little gravel road into his little compound. What a freaking awesome place. Jeff gave us the full tour of his shop and barn and all of his projects like this Willy’s hotrod he built in just 12 weeks. Its got so many awesome little touches and details.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jeff is just good people, and we all crammed into his truck and headed to town where he treated us to lunch, took us by a beer store and insisted on buying us some great brews, and then took us back to his place where he said we could stay the night. Oh and I haven't mentioned how all of this happened the day before he left on a well deserved vacation. He basically just said crash in the barn apartment and close up before leaving since he would be gone well before us the next day. What a guy!

Leaving our mark on the asphalt:

[​IMG]

He has every tool known to mankind, so we dug into Ben's bike to take care of stuff we'd been putting off a long time. I got his luggage rack welded up, tweaked his sidestand and welded an extension onto it, and fixed his wonky turn signals. Jeff and his wife bought some pizzas and we spent the rest of the evening talking cars and bikes with him and his friend Guy, tipping a few back, and just generally being in awe of all the unexpected generosity of the day. If you ever need a distributor rebuilt for any vintage car, Jeff at Advanced Distributors is your guy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We spent the next day doing laundry and taking showers before we left his place, then we went and checked out Sport Cycles just a few miles away. 6 acres of once great machines... It was kind of depressing, seeing thousands of great old bikes just left to rot, but it was really neat to check out everything. You name it, pretty much anything old and Japanese was there, and its also where all Vetter fairings go to die. They have a pile of them out front, probably around 150-200 of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Following Sport Cycles we went into Jordan, MN, grabbed a bite to eat, and set out to drive late into the night to make Fargo, ND.

[​IMG]

We had a blast running almost wide open on some great empty roads, doing our best to downsize the bug population with our Vetters and helmets. Basically we would just tell each other to meet up in 60 miles or in some random town, and then we all went at our own pace, stopped where we wanted, and just regrouped every now and then. It was really nice to be able to ride by ourselves but still hang out with everyone when we stopped. We finally made it to Fargo around 1 in the morning, found a good parking lot, and had a late night dinner of cheese, tomato, and avocado on tortillas. Everyone was ready to hit the sack, so we went about 10 miles out of town and found a random dirt road next to a soybean field. We pulled over in a ditch and crashed out under the stars, glad to finally be in North Dakota.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Sliverpicker

Sliverpicker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bravo---Bravo ! :lurk
  11. LandofRath

LandofRath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent trip! If you make it to the Washington Coast I may have all the parts you need. Will go through the stash.
  12. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This trip is like time travel. What I mean is that from time to time someone will come across a bunch of photos from a trip they took about 30-35 years ago, and post up a report. It's almost always the case that they were young, they rode funky bikes and often just tied a backpack and a sleeping bag to the sissy bar, slapped on a helmet and took off. Replies to these reports are generally along the lines of "I did something like that once, too, and I wish I could again." And here you guys and gals are, showing that it is still possible in these modern times to throw together (albeit with a lot of smarts, know-how, determination, and an open, friendly attitude) an outfit and ride off into the sunset! Congrats! And thanks for such an inspirational report!

That cycle graveyard was amazing! Would love to wander through there sometime and see what oddities might turn up.

Looking forward to the next installment!
  13. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap What a refreshing ride report!!!!!!!! Lovin' the old CX's. Keep it coming and the pics sure are not boring. :freaky:clap:clap:clap
  14. FBR

FBR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great report, and hell yeah WI rocks!!!:clap
  15. GSPD750

GSPD750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's been said already...very refreshing. :clap The youth and exuberance you all have is great.
  16. LibraRider

LibraRider LibraRider

Oddometer:
    Keep on keeping on guys! When you get my age you'll look back and cherish the memories and be grateful that you did this before life got in the way and prohibited you from doing so.

LibraRider
  17. i.v.o.

i.v.o. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome, for some reason can't stop smiling :D
    Just love the attitude and the whole idea! Keep on boys and gals!
    Safe travels!
  18. Shoelester

Shoelester n00b

Oddometer:
    Read the intro on my lunch break! :clap

6 hrs to go to read the rest!! sounds good so far! :thumb
  19. Nd2Roam

Nd2Roam Charleston, WV

Oddometer:
    Peter Egan had to feel a disturbance in the force on that last bit. This is great. :clap
  20. woolfman

woolfman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Staying at a family's friend's awesome cabin South of Bozeman and are able to use a computer that actually functions and trying to take the opportunity for another update.

So after our soybean field camping we woke up to a beautiful sunrise and backtracked into Fargo to make coffee and stock up on some groceries.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From there we made our way on backroads through fields of sunflowers and corn to Enderlin, ND for gas. We hung out at the gas station, talked to some truckers, and reveled in the fact that we were finally in territory where you could see for days, the roads went on forever, and there was never any traffic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From Enderlin we decided to meet up again in Oakes, ND, so we all took our time, stopping wherever we felt, and then met up at a gas station downtown. Its hard to get lost when you only have 1 turn to make....

It was hard to capture the wide-openness of it all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From Oakes we decided to meet up again about 60 or 70 miles South in Aberdeen, SD. Ben and Nick had one route picked out, but I saw a backroad that went over a lake and was about the same distance so I went that direction instead. It was great, so remote that as we went through the state border there wasn't even a sign, and then we hit about 10-15 miles of tar and pebble roads that handled like a mix between pavement and gravel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heading right from there we checked out a few of the wilderness preserve dirt roads before hitting the road through Sand Lake, which must have been named by a blind guy because there isn't a grain of sand in sight, although it was neat to see so much marsh in the middle of South Dakota. We met up in Aberdeen, which is evidently an important landmark as its home to the very first Super 8 Motel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Murica!

[​IMG]

Eating lunch on the curb at the gas station (more tomato, cheese, and avocado on tortillas), we filled each other in on the other's route and I learned that Nick skinnydipped in a river in exchange for a Coke, only to find out that there were shards of metal in the bottom of the water. Should have asked for two Cokes dude.

[​IMG]

Leaving Aberdeen the wind started smacking us around like we were just tumbleweeds. We played cat and mouse with each other, met a guy riding a bicycle from Minnesota to Colorado, and just generally cruised around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right as Ben and I were entering Bowdle I saw a sign for "Classic Car Parts". Always a sucker for anything old with wheels and hoping for an opportunity to peruse a junkyard of old cars, I immediately took the right and went up the road a couple miles where we met a super kind guy with a field full of cars. He was happy to let us run around and talk to him about South Dakota. Megan made friends with his dog, although I think she is still haunted by the hisses of the harassing goose.... Nick and Anna were a few miles ahead of us, so we called them back, and spent an hour checking out this guys collection of rust. He even had an MG Midget in his shop, so I knew I was in the right place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vannin'!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We kept on trucking from there. I had to resist pulling over for so many dead old cars on the side of the road, especially the collection of Volvo PV544s and P1800s, but you can't take a picture of every cool old car you see.....at least thats what I'm telling myself.

[​IMG]

Eat Beef!

[​IMG]

We pulled off at one point to just admire the vast openness and the waves of grain blowing in the wind. The wind was unreal, and every time a truck pulled by we wondered if the bikes would topple over in the aftergusts. A really nice oil field worker on a Harley did a U-turn to make sure we were alright and chatted bikes with us for a while before getting back on his 3-hour drive home/commute.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Taking advantage of some empty roads.

[​IMG]

We kept cruising until dusk. The roads out here just begged to taken at full speed. Big sweeping turns, long straightaways, views forever, virtually no other cars, and really high speed limits. It was a blast.

[​IMG]

As it was getting dark, about 30 miles outside of Pierre we pulled into a really tiny community, gassed up and set about looking for a place to camp. About 8 miles out of town I spotted some trees next to a sunflower field: Perfect. We pulled in and it looked like rain. Since we were pretty well hidden we set up some tents, hung out for a minute and then crashed out. It was hard to believe we were in Fargo that very morning, it certainly felt like we'd done a lot for one day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]