"Ya didn't get such a pretty round mouth eating square meals" - Funemployed on Hondas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by woolfman, Aug 9, 2014.

1. SloMo228

SloMo228 World Class Cheapass

Oddometer:
    Any other parts you guys need? I don't have any CX engine parts anymore but I do have a box of various leftover 70s Honda parts from a GL1000, CX500, and a CX650. If I've got something you can use I'd be happy to ship it over to a future stop. It's all just taking up space for me.
  2. Sliverpicker

Sliverpicker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most excellent-----------:clap

What comes around goes around. I just donated 3 stock KLR 650 exhaust mufflers to the KLR gang. Glad I could help them out.

There really are a lot of great people out there !
  3. Sliverpicker

Oddometer:
    How about tires ? Looks like some bald rears on a couple of those bikes.

I have some tires in the garage that have a lot left on them. What size tires do those bikes take ? Maybe I can help.

Might have to make a road trip to Ocean Shores and join in on the fun !
  4. LandofRath

LandofRath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Since they have the reverse corn stars I believe stock is
    100/90-19 front with 130/90-16 rear

Im kinda curious how old their and your tires are lol.
  5. Sliverpicker

Oddometer:
    Well I just checked on the tires in the shop. All I have left are 17" and 21" dual sport tires so it looks like I`m not gonna be able to do that order.
  6. Randall-in-Mpls

Randall-in-Mpls Garage Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good man!

I might have a speedo cable, but I won't get the chance to look before the weekend. Let me know if your stash comes up short of anything else, and I'll see if I have it.

R

7. Randall-in-Mpls

Randall-in-Mpls Garage Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Standard (Ben's, I think) has the original Comstar...

[​IMG][​IMG]

... so it'll take a 110/90-18 or 120/90-18.

R
  8. LandofRath

LandofRath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Missed that in the photo so its an early 79.. sweet.. Means its almost exactly like mine.
    Front 100/90-19 Rear 110/90-18 is the stock sizes.. That's whats on mine.
    Running Pirelli Demon Sports.
  9. huzar

huzar Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer:
    Fantastic RR :clap

And you'll be in my neck of the woods soon. When is this old Honda wrenching session/beer bash in Ocean Shores, exactly? :ear
  10. vecchio Lupo

vecchio Lupo Diplomatico Di Moto

Oddometer:
    When they get to the repair facility, I'll PayPal some cash to help with the party. The least I could do is pony up enough for a case of brewskis. Landofwrath, pm me when they are a day or two out and I'll chip in for the repair party.

Joey t.
  11. BioCruiser

BioCruiser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Throwing out the offer if you guys need a place to crash in Seattle.:photog:photog:photog
  12. LandofRath

LandofRath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have no issues with people coming out on a day trip to help if they really want. (probably be on a weekday) but my crash space is limited.
    My current plan is to get the bike back to good and reliable then join them riding for a day for maybe a loop around the Olympics or something.
    Unless they come from that direction then I will ride out and meet them on the way here. But we will see how this all plays out.

As for money I am personally not worried about the cost of beer and meat that I have already purchased. And they are running on good tires
    with plenty of tread (Talked to this morning). And I buy my oil 3-4 gallons at a time so I have enough to refill his bike. If they decide to let
    people donate funds I would gladly set that up and help them get emergency parts shipped to where ever they may be if that arises. But this
    current problem I think we have everything we need to handle it and get that bike in a safe working order. I sorda wish we had one more fork
    tube so I knew they were both straight but... He should leave here with a LARGE difference in the performance of his bike.
  13. woolfman

woolfman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So while we're nice and dry with wifi, lets get more caught up. To address some of the comments, Nick and I have already bought new tires (read below) and Ben's are fine. Rath, thanks for everything you are doing for Ben's bike, I know he really appreciates it and we're looking forward to getting it torn down.

We dried all of our stuff out in Ashton and headed to the quaint little town of St. Anthony, ID, home of 175 square miles of sand dunes, some as tall as 400 feet. Most people go here to go dirtbiking, ATVing, sandrailing, etc. We went there to watch Nick almost lose his bike in sand, and then go sandboarding with an old skateboard deck. While we weren't too successful, we'll blame that on the sand and not on our incredible lack of sandboarding skills/equipment. It was fun all the same.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With that checked off of the bucket list we headed West to Craters of the Moon outside of Arco, ID. Arco is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, but its claim to fame is its the first city to ever be powered by a nuclear reactor....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See all the numbers painted on the mountain? Its the first thing you notice as you come into Arco. At first we thought they represented the amount of times people were abducted by aliens but we were a little off the mark. They are each about 20-30 feet tall and represent graduating classes. We saw some going back all the way to the twenties and thirties.

[​IMG]

When we pulled into Arco's gas station we took our sweet time, and right before we were about to leave, met a really cool couple on bikes. Bicycles that is. They were riding from Brooklyn, NY to Portland, OR. They had been run off of the road by the carnies filling up next to us so we shared some jokes and found out they were staying with a local Arco guy named Scar that night. Yeah, Scar. They called him up and it turned out he lived right behind the gas station. He walked up and without us even saying a word said that anyone and everyone was free to camp out on his land. Sweet. Camping spot secured. We rode back there, set up the tents, and spent the night hanging out with the bicyclists and Scar. Scar is a big teddy bear of a guy, but he's currently at war with the local KOA, which he happens to be next door neighbors with. Something about them not liking him open carrying a pistol on his property, spraying his dogs with chemicals, and the KOA owner masturbating in front of him. Sometime you just have to take what people tell you with a grain of salt but Scar was pretty convincing that he just lives next to a crazy KOA guy. He's made a bunch of Youtube videos and even ended up on ABC news over this shit. Anyways, we just thought it was awesome to be camping with this random guy named Scar who has a pistol strapped to his hip in the middle of nowhere Idaho. These are the sort of encounters you simply can't plan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next morning we were going to go to Craters of the Moon but a park ranger saw us at a gas station and told us that it was pouring cats and dogs over there, so we headed back towards Idaho Falls. Along the way we stopped at the first nuclear reactor, EBR-1. Its only about 20 miles outside of Arco and has been turned into a free museum. Its still filled with all of the various equipment and it was really neat to see how things were constructed back then.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After only getting a little radioactive we kept trucking towards Idaho Falls. It was raining when we got there too so we took over a corner of a coffee shop for a couple hours and tried to track down some rear tires, which Nick and I both badly needed. Nick's bike came with new tires and I put a new set on mine before we left, but the combination of two-up riding loaded down on hot days doing a lot of highway miles meant they wore out faster than we would have liked. Both of us have been running Dunlop D404s so called around to shops looking for either those or Michelin Commander 2s. We can't seem to find a 50/50 tire for a 16 inch rim so those were our options. Ben has an 18" rear wheel and is running Shinkos, and they are still going strong.

[​IMG]

Nick considering bumblebee color schemes for his Silverwing:

[​IMG]

We tracked down some tires at a good price only a couple miles away so Nick picked them up and we headed a couple blocks down to Ben's Quality Cycle to get em mounted. We couldn't have picked a better place. With only an hour or two before he closed, Ben dropped everything he was doing to do our tires and went out of his way to help with some other stuff while also giving us a bunch of different options for campsites in the area. Nick's front wheel bearings were getting pretty scary, and Ben wouldn't let us leave the shop until they were replaced. He had all the specialty Honda tools to make the job go fast and easy, and he never charged Nick for the labor, just said he liked helping people out when they were passing through town. If you ever find yourself near Idaho Falls, you can't go wrong with Ben's Quality Cycle. He's a hell of a nice guy, and he stayed an hour late just to help us out. Thanks Ben!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We camped out that night in a free city park on a lake that allows 1 night camping, and the next day headed back towards Jackson, WY over Pine Creek Pass and Teton Pass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jackson is a neat town with its wooden sidewalks and all, but even without walking into a store I felt dollar bills being sucked out of my wallet. Nice town, probably just a little too nice for scallywags like us. We escaped the clutches of the high end tourist art stores and rode towards the Tetons.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We would have loved to stay and check out the Tetons some more but rain was in the forecast. Again. This seems to be a common theme now. Get to an awesome spot, enjoy it enough to get a feel for it and want to check it out more, then get poured on. Since we're so sweet we'd melt in the rain, we tend to run away from the rain given the opportunity. So we left the park but took a different way out. There's a gravel road that leads from the park to Teton Village. Its a narrow winding road with more potholes than even road surface, and I would recommend it to anyone heading to the park because its just that cool. After gassing up and talking CXes with more old men it was back over the Teton Pass we went, back into Idaho, through Driggs and up into a national forest in the shadow of those glorious mountains. Surrounded by cattle we had yet another pleasant night around the fire before crashing out...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. linksIT

linksIT nOObie

Oddometer:
    AWESOME:freaky:freaky:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
  15. LandofRath

LandofRath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm honestly looking forward to it.. Love working on bikes and and having a reason to hang out eat meat and drink beer with cool peeps.. Also giving me an excuse to get some long needed work done around here.
  16. TritonTEX

TritonTEX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for a great RR. Definitely one of the best that I have read :clap
  17. MikeyT

MikeyT Krusty Olde Pharte

Oddometer:
    :stupid
  18. vasaiboy

vasaiboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please share your flickr link, that you guys mentioned earlier.

Never Mind got it.
  19. WaywardSon

WaywardSon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a great report! You are all doing exactly what you should be at this point in your life...but few have the stones for it. Good for you. Your route hit home for me as I just returned from a 4100+ mile trip from KY out across MO, OK, NM, CO, WY, SD, NE, & IA....lots of the same places & like you, the low point of the trip was Mt. Rushmore & Crazy Horse. Just a rip.

Lots of beautiful open country & you folks are doing it right. If you end up at some point in W. KY. give me a shout & I'll hook you up.

Thanks for taking the time.........
  20. ridin gaijin

ridin gaijin riding > posting Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rode past this same sign about 6 weeks ago. Wear guns, eat furs and keep your meat. I'm really enjoying your report.