Yahoo Steib site... moribund.

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Old Mule, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Old Mule

Old Mule Long timer

Oddometer:
    Overland Missouri, home of 1950s sidecar tech.
    I'm a member of the yahoo steib group, interested in motorcycle history, and especially interested in seeing others' sidecar combinations.
    But the site goes for weeks with no new news. You'd think with all the BMW vintage sidecar drivers, and the general interest in old sidecars, that it would be active. But the great number of drivers with BMW Steib combinations seem uninterested.
    It has a great photo archive, everything from restoration pictures to Richter-kabine pictures.
    There are thousands of these sidecars in the USA alone... maybe they are just sitting in collections and not used?
    I read recently that a man who'd bought a nicely restored R60-Speziel in very nice condition needed a trailer to bring it home- "Is it OK to drive one of these things 300 miles?" Of course he was an idiot, but dang!
    Anyone here on the Steib- group, with ideas for reviving it?
  2. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    First of all, for anybody interested, here's the link ---> https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/STEIB/info

So, (starting my sentence this way just for you Josh), this is a Yahoo discussion group with 323 members. Yahoo Discussion Group? This concept pretty much died 15 years ago when forum technology became available. Perhaps we should also mourn the death of the Steib BBS? :lol3 (You kids don't even remember BBS's. They were sort of like a forum but before the internet. LINK) 323 members? Really what would you expect? To put this into perspective, Adventure Rider has 1000 members for every 1 member of the Yahoo Steib group. If interested, Wikipedia has a pretty good discussion of the sad history of Yahoo Groups and why it's a failed concept ---> HERE

Interesting to note, though, that the Steib Facebook page is not any more active --- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1685420591707267/

You asked for an idea for reviving it? Seems like a pretty narrow focus to me. But if this is really what you want, forget Yahoo. Instead, contact every single member, all 323, and tell them to join the FB page. Then tell them to friend anybody and everybody who posts anything there. Maybe, just maybe, you'll get a few posts a month that people can make comments to.
    szurszewski likes this.
  3. ooweel

ooweel Throwing wrenches one at a time

Oddometer:
    I am on the Steib group also. Yup no activity in 7 plus days it says. Its virtually a dead system and site. The slash 2 group is even getting slower as all the old fuks are calling it a day! But it still stumbles on. R90s guys still go at it over there a little bit. The most active on my list is socalbroncos which has its moments still.
    Gotta LOVE ADV!
  4. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know how many Yahoo discussion groups I'm part of (partly because I seem to have to reset my password every time I try to log in, so I've not bothered to look) but I know only one of them EVER sends me emails anymore, and that's the Flexit sidecar group (and that has to be a much narrower focus than Steib for sure). I think the primary reason that one gets anything on it is because of one guy in Portland who ALWAYS replies and has a TON of information.

Really, if you're getting anything happening on there on even a monthly basis and with only 323 members, I think that's amazing. As Drone said (thanks for so, by the way) if you want more activity you've got to make it easy and it seems like everyone is on FB all the time, so ... yeah - that makes sense. I think you'll have trouble getting new folks onto a Yahoo group (can you even do that anymore? I don't know...), but you could try advertising the group on FB and anywhere else you can find Steib people. If you want more activity, you can try fostering that by creating that activity yourself - you say it's already got a good archive, but scour the web for more info and post it there. Post interesting stories, post about get togethers, post anything you can - the more posts you make, the more responses you'll get and maybe you can light a fire under some of the other members.

(Or you can just hang out here with us!)

Good luck!
    josh
  5. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:

Regardless of which group, 95% of the members will expect the other 5% to do all the work.
    Bobmws likes this.
  6. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think that might be a high estimate - but if it is accurate, Old Mule could have as many as 15 fellow group members to help him out!
  7. Old Mule

Old Mule Long timer

Oddometer:
    Overland Missouri, home of 1950s sidecar tech.
    Fifteen years ago there was excitement about a new group dedicated to these sidecars... but as drone points out, tech changes. I guess that since I am pushing 70 I hadn't realized how obsolete the groups system is. The other ones I belong to are about raising mules and mammoth jacks, another narrow focus, but I bet there are a thousand mules in this country for every Steib seitenwagen...
    I think I am going to print out all the excellent photos- restorations and historical stuff- on the site, and give it up as "old obsolete tech". That way I'll have a paper book for reference, even older tech!
    Bobmws likes this.
  8. SidecarAlan

SidecarAlan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had heard about this group and recently joined but I could not see any photos, forum, discussion etc. In fact I see nothing but the start page. Is this information still around? I heard there was a lot of info. on there and I would love to see it.