ya'll got me to Monterey, now the rest of the way...

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by DataDaddy, Aug 9, 2006.

1. DataDaddy

DataDaddy @ the new dad thing

Oddometer:
    Evening,

I am headed up to the Seattle area. Want to make sure that I don't miss the good roads.

This is Delorme's quickest route. Slabin' :bluduh
    [​IMG]

Figured that I would ride 1 for a good bit, I am sure there are more good roads that will offer some variety...

Also, recommended places to camp or stay. The aqua and black square represents 550miles. So something around that area. North of Grant's Pass near Roseburg... +/- 50 to 75 miles here is fine.

Thanks for the help.
  2. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    If I was going to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>San Francisco</st1:place></st1:City> from <st1:City><st1:place>Monterey</st1:place></st1:City> I guess I would go north on Highway 1 to <st1:City><st1:place>Watsonville</st1:place></st1:City>. Take the 152 turn off to <st1:Street><st1:address>Green Valley RD.</st1:address></st1:Street> I think it is the first stop light off the Freeway.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <st1:place><st1:placeName>Take</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName>Green</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Valley</st1:placeType></st1:place> to the Corralitos turn off. It’s just a couple of miles, turn left towards Corralitos. At Corralitos the road should turn into <st1:place><st1:placeName>Eureka</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Canyon</st1:placeType></st1:place> rd. , I think. This is not a way I normally go and my map is not clear but <st1:place><st1:placeName>Eureka</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Canyon</st1:placeType></st1:place> is right there at Corralitos.<o:p></o:p>
    <st1:place><st1:placeName>Take</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName>Eureka</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Canyon</st1:placeType></st1:place>, this will turn into <st1:place>Highland</st1:place> rd and then Summit Rd. Same road.<o:p></o:p>
    Take <st1:City><st1:place>Summit</st1:place></st1:City> rd, Highway 35, to Highway 92 Where you will have the choice of turning down to <st1:place><st1:placeName>Halfmoon</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Bay</st1:placeType></st1:place> and the costal highway to SF or turning right to Slab 280 into <st1:City><st1:place>San Francisco</st1:place></st1:City>.<o:p></o:p>
    Along highway 35 you will see <st1:City><st1:place>Alice</st1:place></st1:City>’s Restaurant, a popular biker destination and staging area. <o:p></o:p>
  3. dirtypumpkin

dirtypumpkin "Monster Truck Bike" Supporter

Oddometer:
    On HWY 1 in Ft Bragg - http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/

Great fish & chips and clam chowder, beer too if you are staying.
    Some nice little places in walking distance.

HWY 1 out of FT Bragg is nice, there is also a beach called
    Chadbourne Gultch "Blues Beach" you can ride if so inclined.
    Its a great beach and HWY 1 in both directions is quite fun.
  4. MaddBrit

MaddBrit Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer:
    Hey DD,

I would go Highway 1 all the way up to at least Eureka, its a stunning route although its not fast and will be a lot more tiring.

Ride safe.

MB
  5. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel See Ya At The Swamp Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have to do this DD :nod

I love the "Then Came Bronson" Bridge :clap
  6. Just_Sean

Just_Sean herewegoagain

Oddometer:
    Jay, when you come back inland from the coast on 1, north of Ft Bragg, look for Usal Rd. on your left (about 28 miles north of downtoen F Bragg) This is a nice dirt road along the ridge above the ocean, drops down to the beach after ~2 miles, then back on the ridge for several miles - it'll say it's not a through road after the beach, but it is :D it's a county road, wide nough for 2 cars to pass in most spots. It will take you to Shelter Cove.

From there, you can continue on King's Peak Rd to Wilder Ridge road, half paved, half dirt, will take you to Honeydew, and highway 211. Once in Honeydew, you have the choice of going right, ovr a twisty road that ends up near the North end of the Avenue of the Giants and Hwy 101, or going left to the "Lost Coast" highway, Mattole rd, which will take you into Ferndale ( a quaint town with lots of Victorians) IF you take the lost coast highway, be wary going up the hill once you pass the beach stretch, The road has had some washouts, resulting in a few inmates crashing hard. There are cattle and sheep that free range there as well. It is well worth the ride, just do it in the daylight, and take it easy!!

Once in Ferndale, you can connect to Hwy 101 again

north of Trinida, A nice non-slab is the Newton Drury Scenic By-way

from there, once in Crescent City, take 199 over to Grant's pass
  7. DataDaddy

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Sounds sweet...
  8. goathead666

goathead666 Blazing

Oddometer:
    +1 on the ride to Shelter Cove and beyond. Very scenic and well worth the extra miles through the Kings Range and Lost Coast.....
  9. ARRRGGGHHNUT

ARRRGGGHHNUT ARRGH! Rider

Oddometer:
    When are you gonna leave this time?
  10. AceRph

AceRph Affluenza Free!

Oddometer:
    Where the stupidest people on earth run things
    Hey Ned! :wave

Guess you missed him. :dunno

Give the Sherrif a hug for me.
  11. ARRRGGGHHNUT

ARRRGGGHHNUT ARRGH! Rider

Oddometer:
    oh well....:D

I will, :wave to honey and those wild kids of yours...
  12. NorCalslowpoke

NorCalslowpoke Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

take it easy on that ferndale/lost coast road! cattle etc. but super nice.

bring the super moto for that road!

do some research on hwy 121/128 and hwy 36 if you have extra time (inland routes)

cheers
  13. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did I miss something? all of the route ideas are great but you are not planning on leaving monteray and doing all that road and still spend your first night in grants pass are you?
  14. dirtypumpkin

dirtypumpkin "Monster Truck Bike" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lets hope he plans on staying over somewhere.

This is the beach I was talking about, you could ride it and camp there if you wanted.
    Ive done it several times.

Its about 10-12 miles north of Ft Bragg.

This is a great website for checking out the California coast.
    Some .com millionare took shots from his helicopter of the entire coast.
    You can download higher res pics of it all.

http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/image.cgi?image=11210&mode=sequential&flags=0&year=2002

[​IMG]
  15. DataDaddy

Oddometer:
    Here in Pacific Grove at my sister's house...

You around tomorrow? Basically I have 1,000 miles to go in two days...
  16. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    Oh shit. I’d take Highway 1 then up to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:City>Redmond</st1:City> <st1:State>Oregon</st1:State></st1:place> and then head over to 5. But, boy, try to fit in a day for the <st1:place><st1:placeName>Lost</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Coast</st1:placeType></st1:place> around Shelter Cove. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  17. Just_Sean

Just_Sean herewegoagain

Oddometer:
    :nono

further north - Usal Creek campground :deal

[​IMG]
  18. DataDaddy

Oddometer:
    :nono further north Eureka...

played too much on Sat... :D Payed on Sunday.
  19. Just_Sean

Just_Sean herewegoagain

Oddometer:
    which way did you end up going?

Oh, I know - Usal Beach is much too soon to stop - but , IMHO, a better place to camp than what he recommended (no highway noise)
  20. DataDaddy

Oddometer:
    left monterey promptly at noon... :bluduh

Played on 9 and 35 south of SanFran.

Ran up 101 for a ways to make up some time, got over to 1 for a fair piece and then cut back to 101 for some more miles. need to come back because I left a bunch of country untouched.

I did not make it to Usal Beach...was way behind. Sun set on me with 175 miles to Eureka...got there at 11:30pm... went through a lot of cool country in the dark... I will have to come back :deal