Yamaha Champion School, NJ Motorsports

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by 4x15mph, Jul 10, 2018.

1. 4x15mph

4x15mph Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am headed to the one-day champ school at NJ motorsports track hosted by Yamaha. I have never raced a motorcycle on a track and my goal is really to learn more about handling my bike, safer/faster riding, and getting some great instruction. I can't wait .....

Any thoughts or advise from those that have done something like this?

I will be taking my Yamaha FZ8 since that is the bike I ride the most.
  2. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Harsh and colorful

Oddometer:
    Be prepared to become addicted. Riding on the track is the funnest thing ever.
  3. ZiaThunder

ZiaThunder Go big or go home

Oddometer:
    You'll have a great time! Nick is a riot and Mark is one my most favorite people.

The school isn't about racing, even though there are a number of racers who swear by the school, such as myself. Just be prepared for them to throw so much information at you that, you won't be able to make sense of it all. This isn't like other schools where the want to you to come back 4 times before they give you the big picture. But! Later after you've had some time to digest it, there will be things that will start to make more sense.

I've been a few times, and have taught with them out here in AZ. I still learn things every time I'm around them. After the first school I had an Epiphany about 4 months after the class in a parking lot... When I was trying to avoid becoming a hood ornament on a truck.

Be prepared to loads of notes. Focus on the skills they want you too. Realize that you have to go slow and get the technique down before the speed can come up. Ask questions, if things are clear to you.
  4. Manrider218

Manrider218 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1
    [​IMG]
  5. 4x15mph

4x15mph Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice and I can’t wait. I am staying track side in the vip track suites which is so cool. I races a car here in the “24 hours of lemons” race which was a great time.

Questions -
    1) to GoPro or not?
    2) bring a notepad and pen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. ZiaThunder

ZiaThunder Go big or go home

Oddometer:
    pad and pen, absolutely!

Gopro not so much. They often film students. You'll get more out of it if you aren't fiddling with the camera.
    wmfleet2 and 4x15mph like this.
  7. 4x15mph

4x15mph Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Back from school and it was a great time. I was by far the most inexperienced rider and I didn't pass a single person.... not kidding. I wish there was more 1 on 1 instruction to help me but I took the 1 day class so I understand why the one-on-one was not possible. There were also quite a few tips or instructions that conflict with what I had previously read or heard from others; Dont squeeze the tank with your legs, brake into a turn and while in the turn (trail braking), increasing speed will increase your radius and NOT correct/tighten a turn, and others.... it was hard to process all of the information but again, the class was phenomenal. I survived
    wmfleet2, JohnCW and Jim Moore like this.
  8. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Harsh and colorful

Oddometer:
    I may be a slow learnwer, but I've found that if I can leave a school like that with one thing that I can incorporate immediately I'm happy. Sometimes i can incorporate other things, but it usually takes awhile to have an "Ahh! That's what he was talking about!" moment.
    4x15mph likes this.
  9. Tripped1

Tripped1 Welp

Oddometer:

Which track did they use Thunderbolt or Lightening? I used to live an hour up the road from NJMP I know it well. Trailbraking is a style thing, its not technically required.....almost everyone does it to some extent or another though.

Not gripping the tank with your knees? When? You wouldn't on a straight, nor in a corner, but on the brakes? Increasing speed will indeed increase your radius all else being equal, the only way you are going to tighten your line with the throttle is if you are spinning the rear....which I have never heard of being recommended at a track class....because its tends to be hard on equiptment

If you were on T-bolt I can't imagine how you deal with the carousel without trailing that last kink on the right, we used to call it never ending right and never ending left, and screwing up never ending left costs you about 2 seconds in lap time on lost drive shooting down the middle of the esses back onto the straight.
  10. 4x15mph

4x15mph Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This was the Thunderbolt track and you do know it very well. The esses and never ending right are a great observation and a couple went off track in that section. I don't think it helped that there was some debris and track repair but no one else had a problem with it and I recognize the problem was with the novice rider (me). I lost 2 seconds everywhere but I did learn quite a bit. I would need to go back and some of the attendees race monthly if not weekly so I can't feel too bad having done it once.
  11. Tripped1

Tripped1 Welp

Oddometer:
    So here is an idea of scale for T-bolt.

A fast intermediate rider will cut a 1:38-1:40
    A fast advanced rider 1:32-1:36
    A 1:32 there we get you on the grid for for a AMA Daytona super Sport.....its was about par race pace for CCS middleweight
    AMA Daytona superstocks (back when it was teenagers on stock 600s) cut 1:26
    AMA Super Sport aka Matt Mladin cut 1:22s

I have run a 1:29 there, and I have NO frigging idea where PJ Jacobson, Josh Hayes, and the rest of the bunch pick up 6 seconds, I have been on there with Hayes, he ripped by me into turn one sliding both ends of the bike to EXACTLY the outside edge of the curbing and sliding it all the way over the hill......I was amazed at the chassis control.
    4x15mph, Ron_Ces and texag10 like this.
  12. Ron_Ces

Ron_Ces Aging Hacker

Oddometer:
    Most people have no idea how fast a professional motorcycle rider is at his craft. Be it on the road course or a motocross track, the difference between really good and great is light years apart. I am in awe every time I see them in person. TV does not do racing justice. Braking and corner speed have to be witnessed live to truly appreciate what they do.
    This guy is really good...

Ron
    4x15mph likes this.