Yamaha DT175 vs DT125

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by CruizinKev, Nov 25, 2013.

1. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a 175 in 71 or maybe 72, it too was Gold like the one in the photo. I rode the piss out of it around town then turned it into my MX bike. Installed an "expansion chamber" pipe, fork brace, and the all important Preston Petty fenders. Had a little porting work done and it ran pretty nicely,very high tech at the time. I really loved that bike and have often thought about getting another, fun times. A few of my friends had turned their mighty DT-1s the 250 version into MXers also, much faster with a slight weight gain.:D
  2. JCool

JCool Long timer

Oddometer:
    The stripe on the tank makes the gold 175 a '73.
    rsmith56 and WRC51 like this.
  3. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good stuff, mine did not have a stripe on the tank.
  4. rsmith56

rsmith56 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just found one, 73 CT3 175, looks like pic above. Shows 400 miles on odo.
  5. trapperj

trapperj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a 1975 DT175. It was slow compared to many of my friends cycles of the time. I learned much about how to hot rod a 2-stroke.

When it came time to do a top end rebuild, we knife edged & enlarged the ports, put a MX 175 carburetor, and enlarged the air box. Of course expansion chamber. Once jetted right it was MUCH improved!

Then we discovered if we took all the unnecessary parts off the bike, and re geared..
    (Don’t remember the specifics but it had a 13 cog in front) it became my magic carpet ride!

I agree with comments above about the 125 cc machine seemed to rev higher and breath better especially up high. When stock.
    Fun times. I see them on occasion. Stock. Don’t know how that happens.
  6. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Never heard of knife edged ports but if it means what it sounds like ,its not a good thing to do to your ports . They should be chamfered to get rid of the sharp edge for better ring and piston wear.
  7. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    "Magic carpet ride" That's something you wont hear a lot about 1970's 2 stroke japanese enduros. At the time they were what we had to work with and were near impossible to kill.

They were ill handling POS's but once you got the hang of the frame flex and front end sliding out in corners and just generally hopping and bouncing out of control effect of riding the things,you could go pretty good. If you rode mellow none of this applied. Lots of people raced them regardless.

My dad foolishly started letting me use his new 1972 DT2 250 Enduro as a practice bike. I rode that thing every day after school till it got dark.
    Every weekend rode and rode,rode it to high school,took it to keggers and let everybody ride it,rode it trailriding,just killed it over and over.

When it blew a piston we took the top end off and rinsed the shrapnel out of the bottom end with the bike upside down,bored it,new piston and it went back to work. Dad ported it to 360 MX specs for what ever reason,put a Bassani pipe on it. By that time lots of stuff was wired on or duct taped in place.
    Hard skyshot landings the headlight would pop out,or the oil tank would fall off. It wouldnt die.
    ------------------------------------
    When I moved out he said I had to take it with me,it was too ugly to be in his garage anymore.
    I swapped it later for a 1939 GMC 3/4 ton truck. The guy that got the DT2 put on a huge police chase with the thing, right in town.
    He was barefoot sliding around corners with cops right on him. He didnt even know how to ride really.
    He got away,ran out of gas,threw the bike in the bushes,cops found it and went after my dad at 2 AM beings his name was on reg under the seat.

The salad days.
    PistonPants likes this.
  8. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a 1969 AT-1 MX that I raced in the desert thought 1971. At the time AMA D-37 didn't have a 125cc class so I had to compete as a 250. The classes went 0-100cc Trail Bike, 101-250 Lightweight, 251+ Open.

Me on my AT-1 in 1970 at the famous Barstow to Vegas desert race. Aftermarket 3 gallon fiberglass tank, ported, Bazzani expansion chamber, 21" front wheel, Filtron air cleaner, Curnutt shocks. I finished 4th overall novice, 1st 125cc novice.

1970B2V.JPG
    8382, Pezz_gs, Scoozi and 1 other person like this.
  9. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    There was a guy,Eric Hallgrath,something like that. He raced a very well set up YZ 125 in So Cal desert racing years ago and over alled a buncha times. I think the secret is never slowing down.
    Strong Bad likes this.
  10. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    And before Eric was my good friend Tommy Brooks who couldn't be beat on a DKW:

Tommy Baja.jpg
    Pezz_gs, Scoozi and Foot dragger like this.
  11. RonKZ650

RonKZ650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a 1973 CT3 175 brand new, and my uncle also had a new one and later gave it to me. I also had a new 1976 DT175. They were fantastic. My uncle rode his 20 mile round trip to work during nice weather for many years and it had upwards of 20,000 miles on it before I got it, and never needed any engine work. The 1973 was the best looking year, 1972 had no striping, 1971 was the older shaped tank with the older rounded striping. They were all gold. I don't remember if 1974 was gold as well or not, but the 74s were nice looking too. 1975-1976 were blue. They were plenty powerful enough to have fun with.
    The 125 had electric start which was unusual for the time, but I never rode one of them to compare.
  12. Pipeman

Pipeman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put over 5,000 miles on a 1973 (I think) DT125 that had a maroon tank grey fenders and electric start. Rode it every day I could after school and weekends. Looking back our neighbors had to hate me. It was a turd but I had a blast on it ! At 5,000 something miles the crank went and my dad sold it for $500. Then I bought an IT 200, that was a great bike! Dad was pissed when I brought it home, no more motorcycles he said (I was 16) an hour later he helped me mix the gas and oil for it, never had to do that before
    DirtMerchant likes this.