Yamaha DT50

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Dave in Wi, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
    To all those on the edge of your seats, an update.

The headlight arrived yesterday. I installed it last night and I’m back in business. Took it for a spin around the neighborhood, I’ve been looking forward to that all summer.

Next up, bleed the oil injection and new chain & sprockets.

IMG_2599.jpg
  2. Anachronism

Anachronism Lived Too Long

Oddometer:
    @Dave in Wi : Is that pic at idle? Looks like your charging system is just fine. My last 50s headlight was a urine hole in a snowbank at idle.
    My turn signals wouldn't flash either unless I revved the engine at stop lights. You are making me miss my 50(s)!
  3. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is at idle. For some reason this headlight is MUCH brighter than the old one ever was. I know it’s not charging to spec, but it’s definitely good enough to ride on “well lit streets” like the old 70’s Cycle World reviews charitably said.
  4. Essbee

Essbee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a delightful little bike!
  5. Franque

Franque Nilé na sohakélwa manga

Oddometer:
    Just saw this, I like it a lot! My guess is that the voltmeter isn't too precise, you get what you pay for :/

Glad to see the headlight is going strong!
  6. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got the DT50 out of storage today. Started on the first kick!

Ordered a chain & sprocket set off eBay. I wasn’t able to find aftermarket sprockets at my go-to source, Dennis Kirk. Or any other place I looked. Not many of these were sold in the US so nobody stocks parts I guess.

It has a 12T front but stock was 13. That’s what the set I ordered came with. Looking forward to getting this done.

Now I need to find a source for fork boots. Preferably in yellow. NLA from Yamaha, at least in the US.
    Frontier and hoodellyhoo like this.
  7. Frontier

Frontier n00b

Oddometer:
    Just picked up a DT50 myself, thanks for the rolling updates!
  8. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I installed my new Ebay chain & sprockets last week.

When I got the bike it had 12/48 sprockets. Stock front is a 13T and that’s what I got. My jury is out on this. For street use it’s fine, but it does make getting across intersections much slower. Top speed seems to be the same at 45mph.

The changeover went easily. The front sprocket is held on with a circle clip, super easy. The chain it came with had 108 links but I left in an extra with the larger front sprocket. I can always take one out if the chain starts to wear.

The front sprocket the kit came with was a JT so I checked out their online catalog. Their part # is JTF546 and they are available in 12-16 teeth. I’m going to pick up a 12T to have on hand if I ever take it off-road, or use it at a swap meet.

I’d like to get a ride on another one someday. Mine has very very little low-end power. Not sure if that’s the way they are, or if mines down on power. Still a fun bike for running around the neighborhood.
  9. Anachronism

Anachronism Lived Too Long

Oddometer:
    @Dave in Wi : They are pretty much all revs. The bigger you are the more pronounced this will be. Don't be afraid to twist the throttle as long as there is oil in the tank & your carb is clean, that engine will redline all day!
  10. Carl D.

Carl D. n00b

Oddometer:
    Just joined tonight and enjoyed your post(s) about your DT50 journey...I have four DT50's on the road... 2 1988 U's, 1989 W & 1990 A models. z0917171416.jpg
    offroadtoys likes this.
  11. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very cool. I didn’t realize there were that many color combos.
  12. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    If anyone is looking for a DT50 I saw one on Facebook marketplace in Gary, IN. Pricy but looks good.

Attached Files: