Yamaha FZ1

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by skysailor, Aug 4, 2008.

1. jointbeaker

jointbeaker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone happen to have a spare, like new set of OEM mirrors sitting around collecting dust? :) Gen2 specifically
  2. vsvn

vsvn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oil change & clean up at 90.000km, been commuting on it full time. It doesn't make much sense to wash it much in the winter, it'll get dirty again nearly instantly. Next oil change is at the 100.000km anniversary!

Those car dashboard cleaners do wonders for the finish.

Hows everyone doing?

[​IMG]
    T-34, Shaggie, bryce1552 and 4 others like this.
  3. bearcat1

bearcat1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice bike vsvn! It reminded me of my old 2-tone (long gone) '06. I bonded well with that FZ. I purchased the bike used with a small dent in the tank. It bothered me so much I repaired it and sprayed the tank black, never knew there was a million shades of black paint. God willing I'll get another FZ1, nice "all-rounder". SAM_2140.JPG
  4. stinkycheezmonky

stinkycheezmonky Deep Fried Monkey

Oddometer:
    ^That red is a fantastic color, and actually looks pretty cool with the black tank.
    bearcat1 likes this.
  5. bearcat1

bearcat1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My thought was the color black goes well with other colors. Kawasaki had a similar color theme going with the Ninja 1000. My main motivation was cost. After getting a price qoute from the local auto paint supplier for a quart of the Yamaha red :yikes, the decision to paint black was made. My FZ had a fair amount of miles on her (40,000) so the resale value was down anyway. In the end it turned out nice given my limited skill set with painting and the dent was gone.:thumb
  6. [zzuftt]

[zzuftt] n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi LDHR1!
    Could you please post some pics without the cases? I'm about to manufacture my own's...

Greetings from Argentina!
  7. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    @LDHR1

Help me out man what are we talking about here?
    jointbeaker likes this.
  8. [zzuftt]

[zzuftt] n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry, my fault! (I am new to this forum and subscribed only because I found this photo of your motorcycle on google):

I'm very interested in understand the way you fitted the side cases and the the top case, wich is very neat! That's why I wish to see an image of the hardware you mounted....
    I'll be very greatful

Kind regards!

Attached Files:

Jetpilot5 likes this.
  9. jointbeaker

jointbeaker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From my last post, I've done a few things.

Added a SW Motech tankbag. It rattled for a bit, but that was fixed with some thick Gorilla Tape on the mounting base ON the bag....that tightened things up nicely.

[​IMG]

I swapped out a dim aftermarket LED tail light, with a much nicer MotoD tail. Also replaced the tail tidy with a custom thing I put together that started out as a Graves FE. Adding wiring for X-Arc signals on either side of the plate right now...

[​IMG]

added Morimoto LED headlight bulbs

[​IMG]

Put on a speedscreen, and hated how it fit. Somewhat fixed it with strategic washer placement, but was never quite happy with it. I've since swapped over to a cut down stock screen, and that's going OK so far...

[​IMG]

Next project to finish: i started mocking up my own tank grips, and just need to finalize those, and get some SRK bent to that pattern...

[​IMG]

Sales of my mirror eliminator plugs are going well. Sold to 7 countries, and I suppose I should have a mid-season sale come up soon.

[​IMG]

Still a few other items to attend to. I'd like a quick shifter....and I need to address the snug rear brake line. Otherwise, feeling good over here. :)

Cheers.
  10. NickBrewer3

NickBrewer3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi all!:wave

Just checking in from NZ to ask a little favour if possible?

Was visiting a sick friend the other day and he showed me his FZ1 sitting under a sheet in his garage while he recuperates....

I had a sit on it and liked it - I’ve always liked them from afar....

Anyhoo , sitting on it and looking at the mirrors got me to thinking - I wonder if they’d fit on my VTR1000F /Superhawk and possibly give me a better view without elbows....

I wonder if the bolt spacing of the mirror mounts matches that of my VTR.....does anyone know the distance between the bolts?

If anyone either knows the answer or wouldn’t mind finding out for me I’d be most appreciative!

Cheers and thanks

Pic of my local riding area to make this post pretty....

42BBF339-C899-49CD-90B7-60F82D1EF4DA.jpeg

Cheers

Shane
  12. Jim Moore

Jim Moore "You ain't black!"

Oddometer:
    I'm reminded of the parable of the man with no shoes. "I was sad because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. So I stole his shoes. I mean, he wasn't using them, right?" Go steal your friend's mirrors.
  13. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:

Dang! :photog:nono:grim:imaposer
  14. LDHR1

LDHR1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry I missed this , here you go. I used some 1/8” alum. to make the top case mount 5C5A07F8-1DD5-44CE-9D1A-F749EF5CC38A.png
    scootertrog likes this.
  15. AllBlackPearl

AllBlackPearl Alpoholic

Oddometer:
    This thread brought back some very good memories.... I LOVED my RN06, what a bike that is! I totalled it (and almost myself) in late 2011 with almost 100k km on the clock. One of the best bikes I ever rode. I hope to get one again one fine day. Currently riding an Africa Twin RD07A and a VFR RC36/2, both '96. Dream bikes, both of them. Still miss the insane power of the FZ1 at times.

DSC_8254x BW.jpg

DSC_8366.jpg

DSC_8256x.jpg
    TonyKZ1, Lil' Steve, dmsantam and 3 others like this.
  16. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    20200229_194957.jpg

12v socket, getting ready to tour.
    TonyKZ1 and dmsantam like this.
  17. BigBrian

BigBrian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did a fly & ride last week.

Contacted a member on here who was selling a MINT 2003 FZ1.

We figured out all the details and I flew down to SC from PA to meet him and buy the bike.

I then proceeded to ride up to VA and meet with some buddies and go on what turned out to be 1833mi trip!

Here are a few pics. FZ1.1.jpg FZ1.4.jpg FZ1.6.jpg FZ1.7.jpg FZ1.5.jpg FZ1.9.jpg

The skid mark is where someone cut me off and proceeded to slam on the brakes right in front of me. Skidded the tires and came within 6" of the rear bumper. Needed to change my shorts after that one...
  18. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Out standing. Great looking bike.
  19. BigBrian

BigBrian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cleaned up the FZ1 & my C14 20200621_083804.jpg
  20. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    How do they compare I have been looking at C14. Prices on the 08 and 09 are getting cheap as dirt.