1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha Riva 180 Repair & maintenance information

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Kevinforesthill, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Kevinforesthill

Kevinforesthill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking to post some useful information I've collected to help other Riva owners keep their scooters going

Attached Files:

2. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    Replacement Drive Belt

465CBEE4-F38B-41F8-8AFE-62E3E4709C74_jpeg.jpg

Replacement belt (since OEM is obsolete)

Gates 1430V375

(Thanks to Joe Dirt/Scooterdude for originally sharing this information)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Belt specifications: https://www.gates.com/us/en/power-transmission/v-belts/variable-speed/multi-speed-belt/p/9804-000000-000000/v/9804-00820

Places to buy (always double check part number before buying):

$40.41 https://www.royalsupply.com/store/pc/Gates-1430V375-Multi-Speed-Belt-38-Inches-9804-0820-1113p38816.htm

$41.03 https://texasbelting.com/products/gates-1430v375?device=c&keyword=&campaign=346684880&adgroup=pla-4577198188600353&device=c&keyword=&campaign=346684880&adgroup=pla-4577198188600353&msclkid=283b6172331b174b808b3cae6812aedf&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP Shopping Gates | Multi-Speed&utm_term=4577198188600353&utm_content=TB072053233353 | Gates 1430V375 Multi-Speed Belts 9804-0820 | $41.03 USD

$41.60 https://www.amazon.com/Gates-1430V375-Bandless-Multi-Speed-Circumference/dp/B00CJKSEMK

$83.43 https://www.vbeltsupply.com/gates-1430v375-variable-speed-v-belt.htm

(7-19-20) Here a pic of the gates replacement belt (left) and my OEM belt (Right). The OEM has larger fatter teeth than the gates but after a few hours of riding at all speeds with gates belt I do not feel any difference and no lack of acceleration or top speed

IMG_20200719_150436662.jpg
  3. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    Roller weights & testing

Stock roller weights are 6 grams / Size = 17.5 mm x 12 mm (8 rollers total)

No one makes a 17.5x12 size (or 18x12), I have used the 17x12 rollers & sliders for a few years now with good success . The only problem is the variator cover ring with come in contact with the engine/trans case (I assume the rollers/sliders is what is causing this). My ring has ground down a little and there is a shiny circle on the case but nothing deep (As seen in the picture below). This pic is after about a year of riding with 17x12 roller/sliders and it does not seem to be getting any worse than the picture shown.

IMG_20200719_152620108.jpg

A place I found in the US that has the DR Pulley sliders in 17x12 and weight options from 4g to 15g

https://www.partsforscooters.com/169-254_Dr_Pulley_Roller_Weights

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tools required for roller/slider change (same for belt change):

Phillips screwdriver (JIS 2) - side fairing, air box cover & variator cover
    10mm Socket - floor board
    12mm socket - foot peg
    5mm allen head (aka 5mm hex key) - clutch/variator cover
    Flat head screw drive - Variator tab
    30mm Socket (I strongly suggest using an impact gun) - variator nut
    Pulley Wrench
    Brake cleaner - to clean variator belt surface

approximate time start to finish = 1 hour

Narrative:
    Remove front and side covers. Remove air box top cover. Remove floor board rear floor bolt (on floor above kickstand). Lift floor board slightly and remove passenger foot peg bolt on right side, loosen passenger foot peg bolt on left. Swing down passenger foot peg. Remove all variator cover bolts. Bend down metal tabs on variator nut. Secure variator with pulley holder (58 mm center to center), remove variator nut (30mm). Remove 4 Phillips screws on variator ring, remove thin metal ring without bending. Remove variator ramp, do not lose ramp guide on towers. Inspect rollers/sliders and replace if necessary. Reassemble in reverse. Squeeze drive belt into rear clutch to gain slack, be sure to not pinch drive belt between pulleys when tightening. Rotate by hand to insure it is not bound before reinstalling cover.

variator nut is 30mm - torque 36 ft lbs (50 Nm / 5.0 m . kg )

**PRO TIP: The sliders should be installed with the "Dr Pulley" lettering on top. Flat side tword middle and multi angled on top facing to the outside

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My roller/slider advice:

Rollers: they are inexpensive and they work. Downfall is they wear, and wear quickly if not properly greased. If grease gets dirty the rollers will tend to stick and give inconsistent acceleration. I recommend a overall of 5.5g, either all (8) 5.5g or a mix of (4) 5g & (4) 6g, for best overall performance. OEM roller weight is 6 gram for all 8 rollers.

Sliders: are more expensive and provide better overall performance over rollers. No grease for sliders and they wear slowly. Worth the extra money to me, especially if you plan to ride the scooter for a while, but not everyone wants to deal out the extra money (Don't believe anyone who says they don't notice any difference between rollers & sliders, there is a big difference).

I recommend 6g overall for general around town cruising. 6g overall provides smooth and linear acceleration all the way up to top speed. Great overall acceleration and a high improvement over rollers and without feeling raced out. Performance is very similar to the 5/6 roller mix, but WAY smoother and consistent with a better top speed.

Use a mix of 5g & 6g for fast acceleration and much greater felt power. Acceleration with 5/6 is very fast and it is not great for just putting around or cruising. It wants to go...go...go and is much more ideal for quick acceleration. Feels raced out and is a lot of fun. You will lose a couple mph off the top speed but the increased acceleration more than makes up for it. Uphill speeds are much better, something to keep in mind if you live in a place with large hill climbs (like me).

**Using the aftermarket PWK 28mm carburator with a 5g/6g slider mix makes for a very fast and powerful scooter. The aftermarket carburetor creates instant throttle response and much greater torque/horsepower, uphill speeds are the best i have found so far with this combination. I accelerated up the steepest hill i could find (its a very steep hill) from a stop at the base to over 45 mph speedometer (40 mph GPS) with it still accelerating when i reached the top of the hill. So far my biggest complaint running this set up is the top speed. It maxes out at 65 mph downhill....period, not an ounce faster and it is hard to really get it past about 62 mph. On the uphills i get 45-55 mph (GPS) depending on the steepness of the incline, but 50-55 mph (GPS) is pretty much the average and 60 mph (GPS) is achievable on the flats. Still lots of felt power when at 55 mph (GPS) and feel like maybe the roller/slider weight is limiting me from going faster. I plan on trying a 6/7 slider combo and see if i can get a higher top speed without sacrificing too much acceleration.

Mix of 6/7 sliders was not great. Slow and sluggish at low speeds. Hill climb is slow, Power band is between 45-60mph (GPS), not much after 60. Max downhill speed was 67mph but was a fight to get to. Nice having power band right where I want it but the poor low speed acceleration made this not a good combination.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Testing/Problems:

(7/17/19) 1st attempt at the DR pulley sliders and something went wrong. Revs fine while on center stand. Will not go uphill at all, no power, feels like clutch is stuck engaged, Boggs down on ground. Will go downhill fine (and up hill at speed), got up to 55 downhill (not max speed), smooth acceleration and no lull - either installed sliders incorrectly (which is what I am thinking) or broke a clutch spring while installing belt.

(8/14/19) Finally got around to fixing the Riva. It appears that 2 of the sliders fell out of place while installing (?) and I had installed the sliders wrong. Amazed it drove as well as it did with it messed up like it was

(11/18/19) Been running the Dr Pulley 6gr sliders for a couple months now and I really like them. No problems or complaints. Purchased 5g sliders today and plan on trying a 5g/6g combo to see how it performs

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Roller/Slider Experiment log:

(Testing done on the same point to point in my area, your test results will be different, this is only a performance comparison test and all speeds are speedometer unless otherwise noted)

under 5g overall - bad performance & very low max speed

roller weights 4.5g/5.5g mix (red moly/wheel bearing grease) - Very quick acceleration, small lull @40mph, max speed 60mph @ ?k rpm, uphill max speed 55 mph

Dr. Pulley Slider weights 6g all around (dry) - Acceleration is pretty close to the 5.5g combo [feels slower but reaches 50 mph faster], smooth acceleration/no lull, Max Speed 65mph (70 mph downhill), uphill max speed 50mph (felt like belt slipping).

(I did not like using Lithium grease or graphite, both went dry quick and didn't perform well)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slider Test log [Todd valley to happy pines - 1.6 mile run]:

Rider weight: 200 lbs
    Tires: Vee Rubber
    Outside temp: 95*f (very dry)
    Mix of down hill and uphill (no flat where I live). Ride ends on a long, slight uphill.
    **Speedometer results are consistently 5 mph slower than GPS results

(7-19-20) Dr pulley all 6g sliders, OEM carb, old OEM belt, top speed 67 mph (speedometer) @ 7200 Rpm (tucked). Smooth acceleration straight up to top speed. Good power across all speeds, much better than all 6g rollers and similar to a 5/6 mix of rollers, but much smoother and consistent.

(7-19-20) Dr pulley mix of 5g and 6g sliders (5's across from 5's and 6's across from 6's). OEM carb, new gates belt, top speed 63-64 (speedometer) @ ? (Tucked). - a LOT more acceleration, gets straight up to 60 real quick. Pretty much lost power at 60 mph and crept to 64 mph slowly over about 1/4 mile (up a slight incline though). Much better power up hills with better speeds achieved. The acceleration with this combination is so much better and even with 2 riders, it is faster and more power than 6g.

(8-30-20) Dr pulley mix of 6 & 7 gram sliders
    Aftermarket carb, gates belt. Slow and sluggish at low speeds. Hill climb is slow, Power band is between 45-60mph (GPS), not much after 60. Max downhill speed was 67mph but was a fight to get to. Not a good combination unless you want all power between 45-60 mph, great in that range but too slow up to 45 mph compared to the 5/6 sliders combo.

70mph speedometer (64mph GPS) achieved with 5/6 sliders (no tuck), 2 stage pod air filters and knock off Keihin PWK28 (28mm) Carberator swap (see page 30)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attached Files:

4. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    Colored hose routing diagram

Colored Carb Hose routing with Hose Sizes.jpg Carb hose routing #2.JPG Scooter Carb Picture.png
  5. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    Colorized wiring diagram (Diagram colors match actual wire colors)

Pages from Electrical diagram colored overall.jpg
  6. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    BCV Valve Bypass Diagram

I did this to check my BCV control valve (the impossible to get to valve under the cover on the right front of the motor). Its pretty simple, just cut the two hoses and connect a shut off valve onto both ends (carb & intake side, not BCV side). The valve will need to be either shut or very slightly open depending on the outside temperature on start up and fully open after a few seconds of running. If the BCV has gone bad the scooter will be hard to start and will not have very good acceleration. I just put straight plastic nipples to reconnect the hoses after the
    test. This is the best way I have found to check the BCV valve. [See diagram below]

Attached Files:

7. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    Carburetor settings, adjustments and trouble shooting sheet

OEM Carb is Mikuni BS28 (28mm)

Document1.jpg

Aftermarket Carberator swap information starts on page 30

IMG_20200719_074640627.jpg

8. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    Tire selection and tire changing help sheet.

---------------------------------------------------
    It looks like the factory suggested are Bridestone ML3 3.5-10 tires were rated 51J (430lbs & 63 mph max).

I suggest a 59 or higher load index rating & K or higher speed index rating suggested (59K = 536 lbs loaded / 70 mph rated)

Tires.jpg
    Tire Speed Index Chart.jpg Tire Load index Chart.jpg
  9. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    Compatible Spark plugs:

DENSO Iridium Racing Plug IU01-27

NGK Iridium Plug DPR8EIX 5686 [NGK 5545 DPR9EIX-9 Iridium IX - 1 step colder)

NGK (4929) DPR8EA-9
  10. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    Mirrors:

Mirrors are 8mm (right side is reverse thread - which is common on Yamaha's).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    10mm to 8mm (reverse thread) adapters:

(US Market) https://www.ebay.com/p/2206682275

Euro Market) https://www.fastbikebits.com/product/1376/reverse-thread-mirror-adaptor

Misc 8mm Mirrors (with reverse thread):

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-unive...P9WJSN28T3B&psc=1&refRID=JHXD4MP7ZP9WJSN28T3B

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3SYOHO0TS2HRW
    (This one comes with adapters, and is what I have installed on mine)
  11. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
  12. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    DIY spark plug wires (Riva 180 spark plug wires are 7mm, stranded core)

OEM Spark plug wire part number is 25G-82341-00-00 (none available that I can find)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I replaced my spark plug wire with a random spark plug wire I had laying in my garage that was the same diameter . It was a high temp silicone filled solid core that came off my 95' Subaru Impreza (nothing at all like the OEM Yamaha spark plug wire except for the diameter). I just cut to length and screwed in the ends (both plug end and coil end caps screw on)....and it works great. I've been running it with this spark plug wire for a couple months now and with problems at all.

7-24-19 changed the spark plug wire again with a random spark plug wire due to the wire being too short and interfering with the front cover (cut boots off old wire, screwed in Riva coil boot & screwed in Riva plug boot) . I have rode it like this 4 months now and still going strong
  13. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    Shocks

Rear Shock Part number: 32H-22210-00-00

Front Shock Part Number: 25G-23350-00-00
  14. minimac

minimac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to post what you've found. I've been considering one but couldn't find much information on this(and the 200)model.
    Kevinforesthill likes this.
  15. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
  16. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    cool , I thought once the rollers on riva 180 and 200 were toast the scooter DOA since no one make the oem one anymore . I ve read that used rollers go for 20 bucks a pop but there also was someone with the skill whom made up a few batches of new one. I guessing if you ve got a lathe , time and knowledge it's doable .
    Kevinforesthill likes this.
  17. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    Yamaha XC180 service manual Shortcuts

Chapter 1 - General information (page 7)

Chapter 2 - Periodic Inspections and Adjustments (Page 39)

Chapter 3 - Engine Overhaul (Page 73)

Chapter 4 - Carburation (Page 187)

Chapter 5 - Chassis (Page 205)

Chapter 6 - Electrical (Page 251)

Chapter 7 - Appendices (Page 325)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Shortcuts:

Periodic Maintenance chart page 42
    Engine oil & oil filter Page 47-48
    Tire Pressure Page 59

Specific Tightening torques Page 334
    General torque setting (English) Page 339
    General XC180 specifications page 338
    General specifications Page 327
    Ignition timing specification Page 337
    General bolt/thread sizes Page 336
    General chassis specifications Page 335
    General carburetor settings & jet sizes Page 333

Variator troubleshoot Page 151
    Carburetor/Auto-choke Troubleshoot Page 190
    Battery/Charging Troubleshoot Page 283
    Electrical diagram (uncolored) Page 255

Variator removal Page 153
    Carburetor removal page 194

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Check motorscooterguide for information on owners manuals, sales brochures and Service manuals (cheapest I have found :wink:)

→ → → http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Downloads/Downloads.html ←←←
  18. minimac

minimac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Around here, Rivas go cheap because no one knows how to fix them or get parts. There are only a few things that can go wrong and they are a strong running scooter.
  19. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    Petcock

OEM petcock has a 46mm bolt space and has a vacuum operated shut off.

The best way to fix this that I have found (other than filling the vacuum side with epoxy and installing an external shutoff valve) is to buy an adapter plate, which gives you the ability to run a common 3/8" NPT petcock. All of the 46mm petcocks I could find were for vintage motorcycles and got up in price pretty quickly. $35 for the adapter plate, or you could very easily make your own adapter plate.

Adapters:

http://www.pingelonline.com/fuel-valve-adapters/a1802c.asp

https://oldbikebarn.com/products/universal-petcock-adapter-plate-46mm

https://www.z1enterprises.com/pingel-petcock-adapter-plate-46mm-3-8-npt.html

Petcocks:

https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs65...MI_KbQwPuR5QIVzR-tBh09FgrZEAQYBCABEgJ_OfD_BwE

Generic Vacuum Petcock examples (double check hose size, I didn't):

https://www.amazon.com/MMG-Valve-Vacuum-Petcock-Scooter/dp/B00D7N8HRK

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079QTSCZ...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
  20. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    This is great information. Those of us who nurse old, abused scooters to life need to share this kind of data. You should also get in touch with Jack Stanley at www.jacksscootershop.com, he's been my go to for this kind of stuff and for parts, too.