Yamaha Riva 180 Repair & maintenance information

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Kevinforesthill, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Kevinforesthill

Kevinforesthill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking to post some useful information I've collected to help other Riva owners keep their scooters going

Attached Files:

2. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    465CBEE4-F38B-41F8-8AFE-62E3E4709C74_jpeg.jpg

Replacement belt (since OEM is obsolete)

The Gates 1430V375........"belt fit like a glove".

(Thanks to Joe Dirt for originally sharing this information)
  3. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    Stock roller weights are 6 grams (6 grams x 8 rollers - size = 17mm x 12mm).

At stock weight my scooter pulled to 6,000 RPM's. I replaced the stock rollers with a mix of 5.5 grams and 4.5 gram rollers (5.5 gram x 4 + 4.5 gram x 4) and the RPMs pulled up to 6,500 RPMs with much better acceleration and felt power. I was not able to test the top speed, but it pulled strongly to 55 mph very quick.

variator nut is 30mm - torque 36 ft lbs (50 Nm / 5.0 m . kg )
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A place I found in the US that has the DR Pulley sliders in 17x12 and weight options from 4g to 15g

https://scooterpartsco.com/dr-pulle...eights?zenid=31b460b5e59a1671b6363920dda03481
  4. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    Colored hose routing diagram

Attached Files:

5. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    Colored wiring diagram

Attached Files:

6. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    I did this to check my BCV control valve (the impossible to get to valve under the cover on the right front of the motor). Its pretty simple, just cut the two hoses and connect a shut off valve onto both ends (carb & intake side, not BCV side). The valve will need to be either shut or very slightly open depending on the outside temperature on start up and fully open after a few seconds of running. If the BCV has gone bad the scooter will be hard to start and will not have very good acceleration. I just put straight plastic nipples to reconnect the hoses after the
    test. This is the best way I have found to check the BCV valve. [See diagram below]

Attached Files:

7. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    Carburetor settings, adjustments and trouble shooting sheet

OEM Carb is Mikuni BS28 (28mm)

Attached Files:

8. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    Tire selection and changing help sheet.

---------------------------------------------------
    It looks like the suggested Bridestone ML3 3.5-10 tires were rated 51J (430lbs & 63 mph max).

I suggest a 59 or higher load index rating & K or higher speed index rating suggested (59K = 536 lbs loaded / 70 mph rated)

Attached Files:

9. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    Compatible Spark plugs:

DENSO Iridium Racing Plug IU01-27

NGK Iridium Plug DR7EIX 5686

NGK (4929) DPR8EA-9
  10. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    Mirrors are 8mm (right side is reverse thread).
  11. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
  12. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    DIY spark plug wires (Riva 180 spark plug wires are 7mm, stranded core)

OEM Spark plug wire part number is 25G-82341-00-00 (none available that I can find)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I replaced my spark plug wire with a random spark plug wire I had laying in my garage that was the same diameter . It was a high temp silicone filled solid core that came off my 95' Subaru Impreza (nothing at all like the OEM Yamaha spark plug wire except for the diameter). I just cut to length and screwed in the ends (both plug end and coil end caps screw on)....and it works great. I've been running it with this spark plug wire for a couple months now and with problems at all.

7-24-19 changed the spark plug wire again with a random 7mm spark plug wire (cut boots off, screwed in coil & riva boot) due to the wire being too short and interfering with the front cover. rode for 2 hours with no problems
  13. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    Rear Shock Part number: 32H-22210-00-00

Front Shock Part Number: 25G-23350-00-00
  14. minimac

minimac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to post what you've found. I've been considering one but couldn't find much information on this(and the 200)model.
    Kevinforesthill likes this.
  15. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    I got one about a year ago, and to my surprise everything under the side paneling was screwed up. It had a motor,and an intake....everything else was wrong, missing and from a different scooter. The carb was off some random 150cc, it had no air box and it ran horribly. So this is some of the random information I came up with while fixing mine. I will say that it wasn't nearly as hard as the internet makes it out to be. I just hope this information helps someone else who is trying to get their Riva 180 running. They are really fun scooters with a lot of power when they run correctly.
  16. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    cool , I thought once the rollers on riva 180 and 200 were toast the scooter DOA since no one make the oem one anymore . I ve read that used rollers go for 20 bucks a pop but there also was someone with the skill whom made up a few batches of new one. I guessing if you ve got a lathe , time and knowledge it's doable .
    Kevinforesthill likes this.
  17. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:

I had thought the same after looking for information online, but then I got out my micrometer.....measured them, and then weighed them on a scale.. the 17x12 size rollers are not the easiest to find (especially in the US), but they are out there. I did buy some very cheap ones at first and had to sand down one side due to it catching on the ramp, but I haven't had to do that with any of the other ones that I have bought so I am assuming that one was just poorly made.

But that is why I have worked on coming up with all this information. These are really fun scooters and there doesn't seem to be a lot of information on them and almost all of the OEM parts are obsolete at this point. I hope all of this helps others keep their Riva's on the road and running well.
  18. minimac

minimac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Around here, Rivas go cheap because no one knows how to fix them or get parts. There are only a few things that can go wrong and they are a strong running scooter.
  19. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    I paid $800 for mine and felt like it was not a great deal, but not really a horrible one either. I see them go for around $1,000 to $1,700 here in CA depending on the area. I personally would much rather pay for an old scooter and fix it rather than buy one of the new scooters that are just not built with the same quality in mind. Mine has 6000 miles on it and the motor is still running very strong.....I do not doubt that it will get at least another 6000+ miles without an engine tear down.
  20. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    This is great information. Those of us who nurse old, abused scooters to life need to share this kind of data. You should also get in touch with Jack Stanley at www.jacksscootershop.com, he's been my go to for this kind of stuff and for parts, too.