Yamaha Riva 180 Repair & maintenance information

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Kevinforesthill, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Kevinforesthill

Kevinforesthill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definitely a lot easier to access. And I finally got around to trying the horn button trick, It works. I will never fumble my keys looking for the key hole in the dark.
  2. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    XC180D_1.jpg Some Riva advertisements. Who wouldn't love some Riva merchandise?

Riva Ad #1 (rich people).JPG Riva Ad #3 (Merchandise).JPG Riva Ad #2 (specifications).JPG
  3. Juvenile Senior

Juvenile Senior Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice, Thank you!

Another question: would you expect altitudes of up to 1000 meters (~3300 feet) to have an influence on the mixture?
  4. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    I live at 2700 feet above sea level and ride between 2000 and 4000 and I have not noticed any performance issues. I thought the manual said that you should change the jets at around 4000 ft above sea level, but after double checking the service manual I do not see that anywhere......so I am not sure where I got that from? I posted some re-jetting information below from Jetsrus (link below) and the OEM jet sizes from the manual. You may also want to do the spark plug lean/rich visual check to help you determine if your Cygnus is running rich. If you do decide to order new jets (I might order some just to try it out) make sure that you pull the jets and see what kind you have before ordering. They come in different styles and you want to order the same kind that you have

Carberator re-jetting chart.JPG
    https://www.jetsrus.com/FAQs/FAQ_rejet_elevation_and_temperature.htm

Lean-Rich spark plug chart.JPG

Riva Carb Specs.JPG

Jet size chart.JPG

Carb Tuning write up
    http://www.iwt.com.au/mikunicarb.htm

[Personal note - Main jet 117.5 / Pilot Jet 32.5]
  5. Juvenile Senior

Oddometer:
    OK,
    Last time I looked, the plug's color was very well in the good region.
    I do not know what jets I have inside, and I do not intend to check if I am not forced to.
    Kevinforesthill likes this.
  6. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    I was thinking that early next year I may start playing with the carb and trying to get better performance out of the Riva/Cygnus. I'll also do a aftermarket carb just to see how it performs and how difficult it is to get running properly.....but who knows, I have many projects and the Riva/Cygnus is just one of them so we will see. Right now I have to get my Chrysler Snorunner going because we are supposed to get snow tomorrow.....Its been sitting since last year and I am hoping that all it needs is fresh gas.
  7. Juvenile Senior

Oddometer:
    I have no issues withits performance on the straits. It just touches 100 kph tops and that is more or less what it's originally supposed to deliver. Although surprising for supposedly 14 HP that it wont go faster than a 125cc with 10 hp. But so be it.
    I am more bothered with its thumping uphill. Am planning to first look into the CVT an see what I find in there. I have the feeling that it could really use a downshift or two, when climbing. Which is what we do here all the time, unless we are desending :D

Such a snow scooter like the Snorunner is a cool thing. But you need to understand, I live in the land of impossible limitations. I dont even bother asking if I would be allowed to use it anywhere public.
  8. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    I still think your problems are roller related. It should get up to 70 mph (112 Kmh) pretty easily and should have no troubles pulling uphill. I live in a mountain area and mine pulls me (200 lbs/90kg) and my daughter (100 lbs/45Kg) both uphill with no problems.

Lol....I completely understand the "impossible limitations", I live in California where there seems to be a law for everything. I once was stopped by a park ranger (rural police) and thought he was going to give me a fine for riding it without the proper sticker registration, but instead he just wanted to take a picture of it since he had never seen one before.
  9. Juvenile Senior

Oddometer:
    I received the impact wrench (huge heavy beast) already and am expecting the variator retainer. One of these days I am going to look into the CVT. But I can only report the results of my work next April or so due to the weather in this part of the. hemisphere
  10. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    If you are willing to throw 20 or 25 dollars at the problem with the tank, try a treatment with Metal Rescue. It's a water based liquid. I buy it at Home Depot. It does actually help remove rust, and it's not an evil petroleum based solvent that becomes an environmental tragedy.
  11. Juvenile Senior

Oddometer:
    I wouldnt count on it that anything water based is equal environmentally friendly.
    Cyanide also disolves in water
  12. Wentwest

Oddometer:
  13. Juvenile Senior

Oddometer:
    Amazing indeed. I dont know if it is available here. Or if the known rust converters are very different.
  14. Juvenile Senior

Oddometer:
    Would you have any recommendations for a generic tach (rev counter)?
    I only intend to temporarily bolt it, probably under the mirror bolt, for experimenting with the CVT and comparing before and after behaviors. So it needs to be:
    Light
    Minimal intervention with scooter electrics
    Easy to install and remove
    Rather acurate and clear to read (analog is good)
    Preferably cheap

Any suggestions?
    Any experiences with the 15 bucks pieces from ebay?
  15. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know what impact wrench you received but you certainly don't need a huge heavy beast to get the nuts off those shafts. Be careful you don't accidently snap the end of the shaft off.A small 1\2 inch drive air impact is more than enough.I can usually just use my 18 volt impact drtiver.
  16. Wentwest

Oddometer:

The cheap digital things you can buy are easy to install, cheap, and just barely worth the money you pay. Maybe. They are crude and not very accurate. Good luck.
  17. rivamark

rivamark n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello new 1983 Riva 180 owner here. I bought a good running scooter that just needed a new battery and a tank of gas replaced to run however I had an over flowing carb after a ride. I reluctantly began the difficult task of removing the carb. I tried to photo things as it went along. I cleaned the carb and replaced the float needle and adjusted the float. Now I am attempting to install it. It was hard to get out but going back in seems impossible. There is just no room. Tubes are not very long making it difficult. I am having a hard time figuring out the vaccum lines in the attached color coded image. If the carburetor image had the same color coding that the tube diagram has, would make things much easier to comprehend. Any help would be appreciated.
  18. rivamark

rivamark n00b

Oddometer:
    My wonderful 1983 Riva

Attached Files:

19. Juvenile Senior

Oddometer:
    @rivamark This is a very nice one indeed.
    For your routing problem, maybe the linked immages on Jack`s site can help you further?
    http://www.jacksscootershop.com/maintenance_Riva180.html#starting

Do consider replacing the lines even if they look fine. Rubber does shrink over the years, making the hoses "suddently" too short, and often brittle. So if you are already at it, replacing the hoses with fresh ones can make your procedure easier and, at the same time, save you from needing to do it again in the near future.

Once I receive the pulley holding tool, I hope not to need the impact wrench at all. The nut is supposed to be tightened at 50 NM, add to it some Loctite, how much tork should I expect to need?
    Anyway, I intend to be gentle with the beast (950W electric, as I don't like to have rechargable batteries on devices that I only use twice or thrice a year, Max 450 NM, 5.5 Kg weight) .
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51csJ9JdPxL._AC_SX355_.jpg
  20. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    I actually used vinegar to remove the rust from the tank....it works amazingly well, you just have to let it sit for a few days then use baking soda to neutralize the acid. I then used JB waterweld to patch the holes and then used caswell tank sealer. All and all it sealed up all of my leaks on the tank, but I still get rust flakes and somehow they get past my fuel filter. That 3 wheeler has been a huge PITA and yet it is still my go to toy. I even rode it for around on the day after thanksgiving....I spent 15 minutes cleaning the carb, just for it to clog the carb after about 5 minutes of riding it. I am hoping the large magnet it put on the bottom of the tank along with a better fuel filter will help end some of these problems, but I will have to wait and see.