Yamaha Riva 180 Repair & maintenance information

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Kevinforesthill, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Juvenile Senior

Juvenile Senior Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_20201104_165640~2.jpg

So, now that I have installed the metal bowl and its gasket from the chinese snow blower carb, and changed the Oring around the tap itself, I filled some gas in the tank. I the vacuum test with the adequate hose and it opens and closes properly. If this cardboard underneath remains dry over night, I am done and satisfied.
    The leak, by the way, came from the O-ring araound the tap. So the other seals plus the plastic bowl were actually OK. Untill I provoked them, that is.
    Kevinforesthill likes this.
  2. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    Yes, fix it until I break it, that's my system too.
  3. Juvenile Senior

Oddometer:
    Love kills
  4. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    35+ yr old plastic in a fuel system will fail!:augie
  5. Juvenile Senior

Oddometer:
    Thinking of it, 35 years of anything in a fuel system will fail.
  6. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Are you replacing everything in your fuel system?
  7. Juvenile Senior

Oddometer:
    You are right. Now that I eliminated this last weak point by replacing the plastic bowl, oh yeah, and the teflon of course, I am safe for ever.
  8. Fast4wardFrisco

Fast4wardFrisco n00b

Oddometer:
    Just an update on my Riva 200 lights and "frame sliders" I added.

A few weeks ago some local punks body slammed my Riva (got it on video) and knocked it over. The left signal lens got smashed and the internal assembly broke away where it screws into the front plastic nose. $50 later I have a NOS lens but the threat of this bike getting tipped again in SF is real, and it was a hassle to find parts.

So I added some 1.5" plastic "frame sliders" to each side, right on the metal clasps. These aren't proper sliders, I've attached them with a very thin wire and glue gun so they'll break away if they get much lateral force (no getting caught on anything). If the bike gets tipped, I just wanted something to hit the ground first before the signal lenses which stick out so much. I have another pair and am thinking about if/where to mount them. Any suggestions are definitely welcome.

I also replaced the front headlight and front signals. I really didn't like the stock bulb the Riva came with but I don't like how white LEDs look, so I searched for halogen R2 options. I found an improved Bosch R2 p45t bulb not sold in the States, but I got it shipped from Latvia through eBay. It took forever to arrive but was definitely worth it. Same wattage as before but it's much brighter, has a warm color, and the beam pattern is perfect. I was surprised how much better they are.

I also tried to add sylvania led blinkers to the rear, but they would only flash once and then stay lit. I didn't want to replace the blinker relay because I love the retro clicking sound, so I went back to stock. But in the front I replaced the original 1157 bulbs with sylvania 2397 halogens. They draw the same watts during riding, but pull a little more when signalling and produce 100 more lumens (about 25% increase). I do have led brake lights and one led in the dash so I figured I could spare a few watts and so far no issues. IMG_20201106_155336.jpg IMG_20201105_151443.jpg
  9. Kevinforesthill

Kevinforesthill Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I really like the frame slider idea, and it looks pretty good too. It also looks like a nice replacement for the OEM headlight bulb, because that OEM bulb is horrible at night riding.

Oh, and i was wrong, my blinker relay does in fact make a clicking sound, but it seems to only make a sound when the bike has been running for a while (not sure why). If i start it and use the blinker at idle it just flashes with no sounds at all, but if i ride it and use my blinker it makes a sound very similar to a car blinker sound.

It sucks that San Francisco has gotten so bad with thugs and crime in general, it feels like this whole state has gotten that way unless you get out into the rural areas unfortunately.....I know Sacramento certainly isn't any better.
    Fast4wardFrisco likes this.
  10. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    My hearing is so shot I can't hear a turn signal click anymore, even in a car. For the past years I've learned to just hit the button to turn off the signals. I just do it, a lot.

There's so much anger around that what happened to your scooter is just not a surprise.