Yamaha Riva 180 Repair & maintenance information

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Kevinforesthill, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Kevinforesthill

Kevinforesthill Adventurer

Oddometer:

I have not noticed any difference between sealed and non-sealed.
  2. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:

Roller/Slider Experiment log:

under 5g overall - bad performance & very low max speed

roller weights 4.5g/5.5g mix (red moly/wheel bearing grease) - Very quick acceleration, small lull @40mph, max speed 60mph @ ?k rpm, uphill max speed 55 mph

Dr. Pulley Slider weights 6g all around (dry) - Acceleration is pretty close to the 5.5g combo [feels slower but reaches 50 mph faster], smooth acceleration/no lull, Max Speed 65mph (70 mph downhill), uphill max speed 50mph (felt like belt slipping).

(I did not like using Lithium grease or graphite, both went dry quick and didn't perform well)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tools required for roller/slider change:

Phillips screwdriver (JIS 2) - side fairing, air box cover & variator cover
    10mm Socket - floor board
    12mm socket - foot peg
    5mm allen head (aka 5mm hex key) - clutch/variator cover
    Flat head screw drive - Variator tab
    30mm Socket (I strongly suggest using an impact gun) - variator nut
    Brake cleaner - to clean variator belt surface

approximate time start to finish = 1 hour

**PRO TIP: The sliders should be installed with the "Dr Pulley" lettering on top

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Problems:

(7/17/19) 1st attempt at the DR pulley sliders and something went wrong. Revs fine while on center stand. Will not go uphill at all, no power, feels like clutch is stuck engaged, Boggs down on ground. Will go downhill fine (and up hill at speed), got up to 55 downhill (not max speed), smooth acceleration and no lull - either installed sliders incorrectly (which is what I am thinking) or broke a clutch spring while installing belt.

(8/14/19) Finally got around to fixing the Riva. It appears that 2 of the sliders fell out of place while installing and I had installed the sliders wrong. Amazed it drove as well as it did with it messed up like it was
  3. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    Yamaha XC180 service manual (Quick reference)

Chapter 1 - General information (page 7)

Chapter 2 - Periodic Inspections and Adjustments (Page 39)

Chapter 3 - Engine Overhaul (Page 73)

Chapter 4 - Carburation (Page 187)

Chapter 5 - Chassis (Page 205)

Chapter 6 - Electrical (Page 251)

Chapter 7 - Appendices (Page 325)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Shortcuts:

Periodic Maintenance chart page 42
    Engine oil & oil filter Page 47-48
    Tire Pressure Page 59

Specific Tightening torques Page 334
    General torque setting (English) Page 339
    General XC180 specifications page 338
    General specifications Page 327
    Ignition timing specification Page 337
    General bolt/thread sizes Page 336
    General chassis specifications Page 335
    General carburetor settings & jet sizes Page 333

Variator troubleshoot Page 151
    Carburetor/Auto-choke Troubleshoot Page 190
    Battery/Charging Troubleshoot Page 283
    Electrical diagram (uncolored) Page 255

Variator removal Page 153
    Carburetor removal page 194

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Check motorscooterguide for information on owners manuals, sales brochures and other manuals

http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Downloads/Downloads.html
  4. Grayirwin

Grayirwin n00b

Oddometer:
    60F84EC0-A1B4-4874-B61C-07A6CB0A18F0.jpeg Hey all, happy to finally find a current riva thread. I have an 83 riva 180. I believe it’s the one that the p/o made his own rollers for, previously mentioned in this thread (unless multiple people have done that)

My current issue is a bad slip in the cvt from a stop. Once you get above 20mph or so it grips fine.

Joe dirt/ scooter dude, where did you order that Gates belt from? Mine is drycracked badly, might also get replacement clutch frictions from eBay.

I replaced the head gasket last summer, and also messed with some wiring and the BCV bypass, so I may be able to answer some questions as well!
  5. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:

Welcome to the forum.

I think the Gates belt can be found at a lot of places, I found it on Amazon for just under $50 (https://www.amazon.com/Gates-1430V375-Bandless-Multi-Speed-Circumference/dp/B00CJKSEMK) and at V-Belt Supply for $34 + Shipping (https://www.vbeltsupply.com/gates-1430v375-variable-speed-v-belt.html).

I also have a problem with my CVT not working correctly at low speeds, but I know mine has to do with the sliders that I just installed since it was running perfect before I changed the rollers out for the Dr Pulley Sliders.....pretty sure I installed the wrong, but haven't checked yet since I got other projects I am working on as well. If changing the drive belt doesn't fix your issue, I would suggest changing the rollers out.
  6. Grayirwin

Grayirwin n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I hadn’t found that vbelt site, just ordered it! Fingers crossed.

I’ll take a look at my rollers when i replace the belt.

Keep me updated on your situation, I’ve also wondered what to do about the rollers. I’ve put over 4K miles on it with the homemade rollers, and the guy gave me anough material to make more if needed.
  7. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:

You can buy 17x12 rollers for it. That is the stock size, and the stock weight is 6 grams (6rollers total) more rare than some other sizes, but if you look around enough you'll find them in whatever weight you want (I have them in 4g, 4.5g, 5g, 5.5g, 6g, and 6.5g). I have done a little bit of experiment with different weights, but I would need to do top speed tests to know the best combination. I can say that a 4 1/2 gram overall (4g & 5g or all 4.5g) is probably the lowest it can go and doesn't run great. I was running a combo of 4.5g and 5.5g and liked the acceleration but the top speed was below what I wanted (around 60 mph), so I decided to try all 6g sliders, which is where I am at now. If you haven't read many of the past posts, you should go through them as I listed many parts and information on the first few pages of this thread. I originally started this on G+, but when it died I moved all of the good information over to here so that it could help others with fixing their Rivas.
    dot_dash likes this.
  8. Grayirwin

Grayirwin n00b

Oddometer:
    I read them all lol. In reference to the belt, do you know if anyone actually rides with that gates belt? A guy on fb is saying he tried one and it didn’t work.
  9. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    I have not installed the belt myself since mine is still in pretty good shape, but Joe Dirt/Scooter Dude installed it on his. I had posted some measurements and the belt angle off of mine on G+ and Joe Dirt/Scooter Dude came up with almost identical measurements, so he contacted Gates and they said that the Gates 1430V375 fit that size, angle and specification. I saw that he had a different Riva 180 thread on here (Advrider) in regards to the clutch if I remember correctly, you might try to look up that thread and try contacting him through there.

*** Found the thread he started - https://advrider.com/f/threads/yamaha-riva-180-issues-big-surprise.1376105/#post-37495249
  10. FreddyBiz

FreddyBiz n00b

Oddometer:
    Omg thank you all for this Riva revival thread!!! Much appreciated. Thank you thank you!

I picked up one in decent shape in Cali and am working on it now. Wouldn't start up cold, but did with some starting fluid. Wouldn't idle after that either, but ran fine with throttle open. Needless to say I gotta mess with the Godzilla carb I guess.

The hoses on mine seem hodgepodge, I will rerun them with new. Can we confirm the sizing of the hoses on the diagram on page 1? 1/4 and 3/16 I.D. seems really small for those!!
    dot_dash likes this.
  11. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:

yes, 1/4" and 3/16" inner diameter are the hose sizes. I re-did that hose size diagram a few different times, fixing it every time I was wrong. If you find any specific hose size that is wrong, I'll happily change it but those are the sizes that are on my bike currently and my bike runs pretty well. I would suggest getting vacuum lines and not fuel lines, because the fuel lines are much larger in outside diameter and can give you trouble when you try to put it all back together.

Welcome to the forum Freddy
  12. Grayirwin

Grayirwin n00b

Oddometer:
    I installed the gates 1430V375 belt, along with new clutch frictions, which fortunately are still being made. My slip is completely gone, and it also fixed a loud rattle my scooter has made since I bought it, which I thought was engine related.

Thanks to scooter dude and Kevin for the advice!
    dot_dash and Kevinforesthill like this.
  13. Grayirwin

Grayirwin n00b

Oddometer:
    Also, how many miles do you guys have on your Rivas? Mine’s a little over 19k
    dot_dash likes this.
  14. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear that the belt worked out for you and everything is running good. My Riva has just under 7k on it , so hopefully it will end up lasting for a while.
    dot_dash likes this.
  15. dot_dash

dot_dash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey all, good to see the new faces!

I still haven't revived the 86 180cc... one day. One day.

However, I did just find a 89 200Z!!! Just brought it home. After riding a big Riva for the first time, WHOA! What an awesome scooter. This thing goes fast!

Also, from what I was told the 200 has half the issues the 180 has.

Need new tires and brakes but it's soon to be my daily @6000~ miles. IMG_20190901_150542.jpg
    Kevinforesthill likes this.
  16. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    Some mods here well ban you for a short time if you post a link to copyright OEM manuals . It's happened to me so that s why I m saying something .
  17. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    I didn't know that, and I removed the link (wasn't working anyways).
  18. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:

Damn that is a pretty one. That seat looks awesome. I also hear that the 200's have less problems, but I have no clue where to find parts for the 200's.

Nice find
  19. rileyxo85

rileyxo85 n00b

Oddometer:
  20. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer: