Yamaha Riva 180 Repair & maintenance information

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Kevinforesthill, Oct 15, 2018.

1. dot_dash

dot_dash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2019 was the year of the Riva! So many folks in this thread now, so great to see. I've been dailying the 200Z for a few weeks now and it's so much fun and so quick. I try and bait sport bikes/sport cars off the line at lights.

Quick update from me regarding the XC180 though --

I've decided to start working on the XC180 again that I originally posted to the thread. I last left off with rebuilding the carb.

I finally re-assembled the carb. I was able to replace most everything but the float and pilot jet. Pilot jet head is chipped and I'd have to drill it out. I cleaned it the best I could, confirmed fuel goes through (how much flow, who knows) and will test it before going to plan B (aftermarket carb). I did buy a replacement float bowl gasket (off ebay @FreddyBiz) and put that on when re-assembling.

Yesterday, I attempted to put the carb back on the motor and connect all lines while the engine was bolted to the frame. Welp, that's nearly impossible, let me tell you, I truly don't know how I ever got the carb off in the first place.

At the same time, I was having extreme difficulty with a few vacuum lines that are so dry rotted that they don't bend at all. They keep falling off the carb, even with clips. One line in particular, goes all the way into the engine block, HAD to be replaced and could not do so without first removing a big rubber cover on one side of the motor WHICH can't remove the cover while engine is in frame!

Made the executive decision - got everything disconnected - and dropped the f***er.

Going to power wash the whole thing on Wednesday and replace all hoses with fresh ones. I gotta be honest, now the motor is out, the whole bike seems simpler. So much stuff is jammed in between the motor and frame when together. And damn, I don't wanna jynx but this motor appears CLEAN. I'm hopeful that once I can get fuel and electrical sorted that I'm going to have a really healthy scooter. It's made me view the project with increased optimism and enthusiasm.

Here's some pics. Also, can anyone pinpoint what the 2 circled connectors go to on the carb?

Attached Files:

Kevinforesthill likes this.
  2. Kevinforesthill

Kevinforesthill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome back,

I know the nipple in this photo is the bowl drain hose and it goes down below the motor. The flat head screw next to it is the bowl drain screw.....good to drain the carb bowl for long term storage to make sure the carb doesn't get gummed up.

The hoses going into the side engine cover that you are replacing are the BCV valve hoses. If the one side was loose or cracked, then it will probably start up easier now that it has been fixed.

IMG_20191014_185247.jpg

Attached Files:

3. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    This one is the one that I couldn't figure out where it went, and after searching for days I still could not find an answer. I'll have to double check what I did with mine. I either ran it out the bottom like the bowl drain hose or I T'd it into one of the other hoses, but I don't remember.

IMG_20191014_185304.jpg
  4. dot_dash

dot_dash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for checking Kevin, keep reading though, got it figured out.

I'm going back to the shed tomorrow to keep working on things. Should have more updates then.

Unfortunately that drain screw is chipped half off so it's more work than worth right now (same as pilot jet....) ... really hoping this carb will work before I go into the world of aftermarket. That 200Z I picked up is running off something generic, I wonder if it would also work on a XC180.

I'll run a hose to atmosphere on that nipple, thank you.

Regarding the T -- just figured it out thanks to Jack's site. (http://www.jacksscootershop.com/maintenance_Riva180.html - like it hasn't been pasted enough, LOL)
    " Above the plungen outlet is a "T" connector. The straight part of the T is connected to the SA solenoid. The 90 degree part of the T is the SAJ 2 connection, which has a short tube vented to the atmosphere. "​

I'm gonna do a refresher of all that info and the beginning of this thread before posting more... just been awhile since I worked on this thing and I forgot the resources at my disposal.
  5. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    When i find those mysterious vents to nowhere I get worried. So far I'vejust put a cheapo fuel filter on the end so squirrels can't climb in.

The 180 engine is easy to deal with when it's out, standing on the center stand. My complaint is that you can't test it until it's fully back in the frame. Be sure to hook it up to fuel and that nothing leaks before you put it back in the frame.
    dot_dash likes this.
  6. dot_dash

dot_dash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got the motor pretty clean... power washer started to scare me even though I had intake holes covered, so I quit and dried it off. This motor was/is filthy underneath with caked dirt and grime but I got it looking a lot better. That's what you get for sitting in the woods for 20 or more years I guess.

Let me get your thoughts on something...

Now that I have a better understanding of things. It appears the PO of this scooter likely tried to bypass the BCV at some point. Evidence being, I found a cut hose w/ bolt wedged down in the block, which I think came from BCV (left hose). Additionally, one of the hoses from BCV (right one I believe) has been vented to air since I first saw the scooter (it's the hose in the pictures above w/ white barb).

Methinks that I should at least try hooking the BCV up once and trying to start the scooter? If it doesn't work, what would be the signs it's the BCV's fault? Also if it doesn't work, at that point, I can try the BCV bypass you demonstrate earlier in thread, no harm no foul, can say I at least tried.

Edit: Got the carb back in and BCV hooked up with fresh hoses all around except reused some old hoses for the vent to atmosphere ones. Gonna try and put it back in frame in the next few days. Fingers crossed I guess? hahah
  7. dot_dash

dot_dash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Back in frame, everything hooked up, and a new battery! I feel as if I've made more progress on this scooter in 1.5 weeks than I have since I bought it. Why the hell did I bring it home and just tear it up?! So much needless re-work.

Good news:
    - General power works, lights & horn. Blinkers are solid but I don't have fronts on, so maybe culprit there.

Bad news:
    - No spark, new plug
    - Clicking noise on starter button
    - Still no gas in tank, but it's clean!
    - EDIT: Oh yea, the throttle cable is toast :p

I read online that clicking noise could be evidence of bad starter solenoid. What does everyone here think? I found a few on eBay in case I need to replace.

I'm trying to determine if bad solenoid is correlated to no spark or if it's two separate issues.

Going to get gas in the tank soon, I'm concerned the fuel petcock/pump on the bottom is bad/clogged, but I tried my best to clean it.

Additionally, found a random hose on the outside of the frame that I'm wondering is the fuel filter? Here's a pic for reference:
    IMG_20191019_184405.jpg IMG_20191019_184409.jpg IMG_20191019_175854.jpg

EDIT 2: Going to start troubleshooting tomorrow using pages 6-21 in service manual. Also, will be picking up another Riva 200 :) :) :) :) for next to nothing. Missing plastic but can hopefully run or be parts bike for my other.
  8. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    Does the starter crank if you bridge the two big terminals with a screwdriver?

The 200 is a better bike than the 180 because they fixed the crazy engineering in the carb and made it possible to get the carb out without taking out the engine.
    dot_dash likes this.
  9. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:

I would assume that hose is a fuel line? It looks like a fuel filter on it, but I honestly do not know for sure. I couldn't imagine what else that thing could be other than something like a one way air valve, but I have no clue why anyone would put something like that on a Riva....it definitely did not come with one

Yes, I agree. Clicking noise is usually a sign of a bad solenoid. Going off memory, I believe it is right in front of the battery in a rubber boot. It will look like the picture I have attached. You should be able to use a screw driver to connect the two studs and make the starter turn. Luckily solenoids are pretty cheap (like $10). The riva 200 probably has the same solenoid, so you could probably swap it into the 180 to see if it is the problem.

https://www.amazon.com/Starter-Relay-Solenoid-Yamaha-1987-1991/dp/B01LY0TLQ2

"I'm trying to determine if bad solenoid is correlated to no spark or if it's two separate issues." Probably two separate issues. If you have a volt meter or light you can hit the signal side of the ignition coil to see if it is getting a signal (should flash as engine spins). If it does your problem is probably either the coil or the spark plug wire. If not then the problem is going to some thing more difficult, like the stator which is not impossible to fix, but is much more of a headache than a bad coil (got to pull the engine, it should be on the opposite side of the engine as variator, attached to the engine crank, under the flywheel). It could also be the ignition control module thing in the rear. I saw on jacks scooter shop website he mention soldering a part inside it that went bad. Bascially you have to use a volt light to track down where the power signal ends and that is where your problem is.

Attached Files:

10. dot_dash

dot_dash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice y'all. I will have an update in the next few days. Yesterday, I brought the new new XC200 home and spent the day playing with it. Got it to fire up by night time but it needs tuning. Missing side plastics but it does have the original carb which is good. My other XC200 is running an aftermarket piece currently.

Main reason for posting is I wanted to share my dumbass moment this morning. Continue reading and unleash judgement on me --

I may have fried my daily XC200... This morning I was trying to leave for work but battery died on me. Ran out to the shed just to test my new battery (wrong size, too big), and it worked. Me, in my infinite stupidity, thought to try swapping the batteries while engine is on idle. Well, that didn't work and at some point I let off ground and after some sizzling, the scooter no longer powers on. At this point I had to get in another vehicle and go to work.

Gonna test more, probably tomorrow (too defeated today) and see what's up. I'm fearing the worst and worst case scenario is the new XC200 is now officially the parts bike if I need to pull electrical off it.

TLDR: I let the pressure of being in a rush get to me without considering my ignorance towards do's/don'ts with electrical systems and may have fried a scooter.

:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh
  11. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:

That really sucks. Hopefully yours still has the main fuse (which might indicate why nothing is working). Mine is located on the left side of the battery in a white oblong fuse holder, hopefully your has something similar and you only blew the fuse (fingers crossed).
    dot_dash likes this.
  12. SimonLeBon

SimonLeBon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your repsonse Kevinforresthill!

I bought an adapter since I had a manual petcock laying around that I can use.

Thanks for all your good input. I ordered some new fuel lines and the petcock (linked above) from Mikesxs. If I understand correctly I need to cap off both of the solenoids and the BCV right?
  13. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:

You only cap off the solenoids and BCV if you are going to use an aftermarket carb (or just disconnect them). The BCV and the two solenoids are basically components to a complicated auto-choke system. The aftermarket carb should have a choke lever or an auto-coke so there is no need for the solenoids and BCV. Did you end up using the TW200 carburetor?
  14. SimonLeBon

SimonLeBon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, I'm using the original carburetor. So now with using a non-vacuum petcock I just cap the line that wen't to the vacuum petcock before?
  15. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    Yes. I put a bolt in the hose and taped it with electrical tape so it doesn't leak.
    SimonLeBon likes this.
  16. dot_dash

dot_dash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fuse was blown, didn't even think to check that, thank you Kevin. :thumbup

I'll update this weekend after I've had time to tinker with XC180 more + new XC200. The latter is running already so I'm going to change oil/filter and then take it out for a quick spin.

Thanks again Kevin. I'm very careless, hasty, and forgetful, and folks on forums help me out way more than I deserve. Talk soon.
  17. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:

Glad to hear it was a simple fix
    dot_dash likes this.
  18. SimonLeBon

SimonLeBon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was able to run (2 miles) to scooter for a while with the manual petcock. Now the last couple days I wanted to fire the Riva back up and it doesn’t start anymore. I’m suspecting the carb main jet is the problem as it was a pretty bad carburetor to begin with. It does fire up for a couple sec when I spray some carb cleaner past the throttle housing. Now that I’m using a manual petcock all the solenoids are useless so I can get a simpler carburetor. Is the TW200 a good one to pick? Any other recommendations?
  19. Kevinforesthill

Oddometer:
    It definitely sounds like your Idle jet is clogged, main jet might be clogged also but usually it will start with a clogged main jet, but it will bog down and try to die at about 1/3 throttle. I think the TW200 is a good choice because it looks like it will still fit the intake and OEM air box and is very reasonably priced, but the choke lever does not look like it will be accessible which would make it hard to start......Pestilent back on page 4 said his started up without needing to use the choke but also implied that he needed to figure out a way access the choke lever. The biggest problem with getting an aftermarket carb for these Riva's is that they need a 28mm carb and there is not a lot of selection in that size. Most 150cc scooters I see seem to use a 26mm carb and most 250cc seem to use a 30mm carb. I see a few 28mm carbs with the choke lever up front on top instead of on the side that look like they would work, but not having tried to install one of these I am hesitant to suggest buying one of them as it could easily be a waste of your time and money.
  20. SimonLeBon

SimonLeBon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'll take a look at my idle jet. Nevertheless I did just order the TW200 carburetor and I'll play with it over the weekend. Noticed the throttle cable is also on the other side of the carb so I have to make some changes to make it work. I'll report back.