Yamaha RT180?

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Baroquenride, May 13, 2021.

1. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I have the opportunity to get an RT180 for very,very cheap. It's complete, but the seat and rear brake light would need to be replaced, it looks rough, has been sitting outside for years, and while I can easily work on a 4-stroke engine I know absolutely nothing about 2-strokes. Should I run away fast? Assuming it needs a complete rebuild, how difficult would that be for a 2-stroke novice?
  2. cedric

cedric Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will be a piece of cake compared to a 4 stroke, dead simple engine.
  3. JKady

JKady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd jump on it if it's cheap. Aftermarket and value isn't huge but they are a really fun little bike. If you can do internal work on a 4 stroke you'll have no trouble with an old aircooled 2 stroke.
  4. inire01

inire01 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thread-Jack: does anyone know not hard it would be to street-legalize an RT180? DT175 prices are making me ache but I have eyes on a local RT.
  5. JKady

JKady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Street legalizing a dirt bike is very dependent on your location, some places it's as simple as adding the lights/signals/horn and having it inspected, other places it is simply not possible to do legally.

The RT has a lighting coil from the factory, so you can power a headlight. I'd run something like Tusk's Enduro lighting kit for the rest of the lights for simplicity's sake.
    inire01 and Baroquenride like this.
  6. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I was kinda wondering the same thing that inire01 asked, so thanks JKady.
    inire01 likes this.