Yamaha RZV500R The 35 year quest...and other stroker stories

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by busa1300, Jan 27, 2019.

1. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    better now than on the road, but yes, frustrating.

couple weeks ago, i went from so cal to vegas to pick up a moto. i sold my truck in june, so had to rent something.

pick up a "ram rebel" from budget..... busted window, mud terrains humming like a cheap hooker on dollar night, mirror broken, all sorts of scratched up, filthy..... i promptly took it back, and they gave me a 5k mile old jeep gladiator. it did the job, but what happened to just regular ol fuckin rental trucks?
    AK650, busa1300 and Fast Idle like this.
  2. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    "mud terrains humming like a cheap hooker on dollar night"

Literary gold right there VI ! :D
    villageidiot and busa1300 like this.
  3. busa1300

busa1300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea...
    This thing had only 45,000 miles, but was literally beat in almost every panel.
    Filthy inside....when I first went to open the drivers door, it over extended and the post the where hinges were bolted to had a split/crack between the hinges.
    Pass door rubbed fender when I opened it, hood was cocked/offset, grill pushed in....and when it over heated I looked at the radiator and could see a curve in it (as if it had been pushed in). Also had tape residue on hood and fenders....should have been a tell tale sign right there I guess.
    It did have new tires though....

Finally got through to road side at Hertz.
    They are going to call tomorrow around 8:00 AM, and hopefully tell me they have a replacement. :hmmmmm
    villageidiot likes this.
  4. busa1300

Oddometer:
    Basically all loaded. I have my old army backpack with clothes, and what my wife is planning to bring along yet....and might even still have room clear at the back, to curl up for a bit of rest during the 24+ hour drive.

3F657B9A-31E2-4736-BAEC-C2AB37C25908.jpeg

305977C2-3CE8-4A31-ACE2-35682236C9E8.jpeg

This is how I have the bike secured to the floor....
    I think it should work pretty good.

26845C69-0713-4CED-86B6-75B4C4507F4E.jpeg
  5. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    I know a guy...who broke off his handle bar strapping his bike like that...but we don't call him Crazy John for nothing.

He did not have the front wheel saddle like you have tho....

Richarde1605 and busa1300 like this.
  6. Fast Idle

Fast Idle Since the Sixties Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have a good trip, should be fun!
    :thumb
    busa1300, AK650, jphii and 3 others like this.
  7. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    busa1300 and simmons1 like this.
  8. sruss67

sruss67 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    best wishes for an amazing journey and fun times.
  9. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    busa1300, Kai Ju and simmons1 like this.
  10. busa1300

Oddometer:
    Went through tech inspection, and made it through quick and easy.....sad for some of the guys there though because they were serious about being legal....and some apparently didn’t understand the rules...

89DC4149-DBCB-470D-AB68-CC370677BE17.jpeg

And several had issues even before tech as they were still doing last minute work on their bikes, and run into problems.

F02502F7-8547-460D-83D2-B938E5D2D361.jpeg

They guy I met here two years ago held a pit spot for me, after I came back from tech with my stickers, he said his axle nut was stripped...
    Not a typical size, and looking like some very fine threads...possibly TZ only?
    Not sure if he will find what he needs or not, but he came from Seattle area....

81 TZ with a late 80’s RZR250 engine

ABAE6D6D-1EF6-4AF1-8975-408B83A611A6.jpeg

Did a rookie track walk/ride down the track...
    The salt might be hard packed in most areas, but it is incredibly rough and chunked out ALL over....a bit worried about head shake if I get myself beyond the 150 mark...hitting all those holes everywhere.
    Thinking the SCTA group from last week kinda wore the surface out...

But what do I know....it’s my first day...?
    Cogswell, mike, Fast Idle and 8 others like this.
  11. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    They do not use a motor grader to level the surface?
    busa1300 likes this.
  12. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    wonder if he could tap the ID of the hollow axle and use a washer and a spacer to tighten up on the nut (could even drill the nut to clear the threads)
    Rob578, busa1300 and AK650 like this.
  13. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    Hell, even a rip of allthread, and a stack of washers.

tighten up, drill for wire, rip it. Not sure itd pass scrutineering,
    busa1300 likes this.
  14. busa1300

Oddometer:
    They just drag some flat blades behind trucks at about 5-10 mph....not sure what the SCTA uses?

After going over it my first pass....I realized the faster you went, the less you felt.
    So I guess these guys working on the track have it figured out....and I learned that I will always have a lot to learn.

My friend with the TZ never gave up on the axle nut, and found that a front drive shaft nut from a 91 Nissan had same threads and ordered one from the closest auto zone.
    Took it on it’s very first run today.
  15. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    awesome, and now he knows he needs to carry a spare or 2 in the race box.
    busa1300, Fast Idle and AK650 like this.
  16. busa1300

Oddometer:
    There is a lot to sum up on this experience.
    I’ll try to make it short, since I only have my phone to do this...still a long way from home.

My first run was obviously the worst one, as I have never run at any speed on salt....except when I rode my KD80 down the track for rookie orientation. From that KD80 experience I figured if I could get past 100 it would be a record for me.
    Waiting in line to run was short as it was early in the AM....figured out where I had to be at each stage of staging....got up to my turn.....pulled out onto the track.....and slowly rolled through easily to keep rear from spinning...faster I went better it felt.
    But in the Run What You Brung class, you are only allowed the short course. Enter at mile 1, get speed to mile 2, get your time at mile 3, and then get off track as soon as possible.
    You HAVE to slowly get up to speed, as the wheel spin is almost constant to some degree. So after I saw that the track felt good, I gave it more throttle....and ran a 113.47.
    Pathetic....yes

After that first run, I felt good about the track, and had a better idea of where and how to get up to speed better. So I immediately returned to pre stage, then staging and got in line.
    I was ready to really put some effort into it this time.
    This time there were twice the bikes in the line up, as well as bikes at the 0 mile mark to run the longer 5 mile track (which I needed)...
    The international 9 mile track usually has no impact on the mountain side track.
    So....longer wait...and getting much warmer out. I could see it would be a while before my run, so I kept my leathers off till I could see there were only about 10 bikes ahead. My wife drove the van down to mile 1 mark with me, for me to get my leathers on and to hide from sun on occasion. Put my leathers on and got my head together with about 8 bikes in front of me. A lot of time passes between runs to make sure everything is clear each run, so it starts getting pretty hot all covered up. Finally got to a point where there was one bike ahead of me, and I had my wife zip tie my kick stand. Bike in front was on the line, a purple H2 all stretched out, with the rider trying to kick it to start, as the bike in front of him just pulled onto the track.

The guy suddenly dropped to the ground dead....no pulse...
    Luckily the guy right behind me was a former firefighter and brought him back to life about 2 minutes later.

Needless to say things got shut down.

About 1 1/2 hours later it was still me sitting on the starting line...and time to run. By that point in time I was done with waiting and sweating, and just wanted to get to the other end and be done with it. My run was better but still pathetic, as the wind from the mountain had a gust between 2 and 3 mark, trying to blow me off the track....129.34

I wanted to experience Bonneville, and I did.
    The day was done for me, and I felt it was time to go home.....I did what I said I would do, which is important if only to me.

But on the way back to Salt Lake City I still had something inside me calling me a loser.
    Early the next morning I said fuck it, I’m this close...my bike is already covered in salt....get a run in at over 150 and then I can go home feeling better.

After waiting in line for about 2 hours that next day it was my turn.
    And I put some serious effort into it
    ....speedo showed over 180, but timing tower said 160.11 in 5th gear.....rear tire spinning the whole time clawing for a grip.
    Was on the short track and didn’t have room to get it into 6th without losing some speed.

Only was allowed 3 runs....
    Steep learning curve....

4814EA59-7660-45F3-A093-7C58634325B7.jpeg 64D31A23-51E5-4B6E-BA2E-BDE4605E6656.jpeg
  17. busa1300

Oddometer:
    I really want to thank my wife for going through all this senselessness....she never really has complained about this trip yet, and was always ready to help.

I also used this trip to spread my dads ashes.
    Put them in under the seat hump and gave him one last ride....
    He was a speed freak his whole life always racing something, or raising hell on his Harley with his buddies between bars later in life...Drag raced from the mid 50’s into the 60’s did some Can Am racing, then started circle track racing for about 20+ years...

42A9C799-15DD-4EE8-AE08-28B0A0F028E7.jpeg 76016F28-DAB4-488A-9F31-DC65694A9B05.jpeg

Now....back to building bikes.....

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Happy for you that you went back for one more run, happier still that nothing broke, including you.
    And ecstatic that you had a willing partner for your shenanigans. You're a lucky man.
    Grynch, Richarde1605, AK650 and 6 others like this.
  19. mentolio

mentolio King of the island of unwanted toys...

Oddometer:
    I know you’re disappointed with your initial runs, but damn what a fantastic story to tell! And spreading your dad’s ashes at the salt flats? Priceless. Good on-ya!
    mike, AK650, sruss67 and 4 others like this.
  20. Royce Cochran

Royce Cochran was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Wow, what an adventure !!! :clap
    Grynch, AK650, sruss67 and 4 others like this.