Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by busa1300, Jan 27, 2019.
Thanks again guys
Here is a quickie just for some noise.
I later fitted the airbox"s and filters on, put in my new tank pickup and filter, put tank on.....and rode it up and down my road for about 1 mile....no seat or lights or plates, or anything else appearing legal...
And it all works.
Tomorrow i will put lights and rest of bodywork on....plates off one of my other bikes, and put a few easy miles on it....see if anything falls off, or if I have to push it home.
What a great to increase your carbon footprint! I love strapping on size 18 boots and burning hydrocarbons!
Happy Birthday...and happy sound...took me right back to morning hours at Laguna Seca GP races in the 80's...use to camp out for the weekend..
Thanks for that...wearing a smile now....had my 2 smoker out today for the first time this year...KTM 300EXC..crashed 3 times so must be doing it right thank gosh for good gear.
Wow, happy birthday and congrats on that healthy sounding RZ! Looking forward to more.
No carpet, just plywood a small winch and spots for two bikes
I set it up for my jetski, so I could load and unload all by myself...from my garage to the van then into the water....and then from water to van to garage.
But I use it for bikes more.....which was it's original intention
It has new tires and wheels since this pic.
I bought it painted like this....but it does match the jetski pretty good
Brake lights off a Cadillac?? Dig that Scooby Doo Mystery Machine van.
Brake lights are off a 1960 Mercury Meteor....Bike had no lights, so I went the hotrod route...
Made the bike a bit more legal today so I could put some time on the engine and get it broke in.
Rode about 10 kilometers and came back for a look around.....everything good.
Went back out and rode another 15 and came back.....everything still in place and no leaks or anything else.
Let it cool down for a while, then about an hour later took it out for another 30 kilometers....all under 6000RPM (which was very difficult)
Got some gas and took it home for the day.
Absolutely zero issues of any kind.
Brakes worked great.
Suspension felt very stable (almost too stable compared to what I'm used to)
Handled fine (although a bit truck like compared to my 250 strokers)
And the carburetion seemed damn near perfect.....without the slightest bit of tuning yet.
I won't mess with the carbs till I get over 300 Kilometers on it and can take it to redline, to see how the powerband feels all the way through.
But when I get up to 6000....it feels like it is right at the point of taking off.....so I need to get more time in and enjoy that redline as soon as possible
Wow, reading about your experience is taking me back to 1996 when I rebuilt my RZ350. I'm sure I felt a lot of the same things you're feeling now. Boy I loved that bike! Keep it coming, and we need more video please. Even the seemingly "boring stuff" is exciting when it's about a hi-toned smoker like this.
Looking really good. Outstanding work!
Wow, seems the tuning is too easy. Who would have thought that? Hope it continues, just a stunner of a bike.
Took it out for another shake down run.
This time I took a few rougher roads here and there to literally shake the bike up and see if it held together.
Also broke past the 100 mark so I started running it up to 7000.
On my way home, I did one last blast, powershifting through each gear to 7000....Bike felt better than I hoped.
But as I let off and started slowing down.....the bike was making way more noise than it had been.....
.....and there was no bottom end power of any kind....
I came to a stop sign and felt each pipe outlet, and each one was still firing warm, but spitting spitting a bit more oil than usual....checked to see if one of my baffles fell off or was loose.
All ok.....so I limped it home to the garage.
Left it run and every one of my pipes was way louder than before.....
I shut it down and pulled the plugs....all looked a perfect light brown.
Did a compression check and all cylinders were the same......
Then my brain started working again.....
I checked to see where my powervalves were positioned at.
They were full open....my powervalve actuator was not working and stopped full open....when I was powershifting I'm guessing.
Explaining why it was louder, using more oil, and explaining why I had no bottom end any more.
Extremely relieved, I screwed with the connectors for a while and got it working again.
Fired it up, bike sounded normal, took it for a quick spin and ran perfectly...
But I am going to wire up my Zeel ignition this week, and hopefully keep that issue from happening again.
to be continued
Alarming issues resolved by simple repairs can be a bit satisfying.
Alarming issues resolved by simple repairs can be a very satisfying.
The weather has not been very cooperative to get much more time on the engine.
But I did manage to get the upper fairing on...hopefully for good.
And the signals, mirrors in place along with getting the headlight adjusted for riding on the right side of the road instead of left.
Also made a mount for my front brake reservoir, and bracket to hold the rear brake line in place.
Changed my water for antifreeze now that I know there are no leaks.
Need to get the cracked sections on my mid fairing panels glued up, as well as my lower section....(which is busted pretty good, but I think I can get it looking better)
Now that I am almost done....a few before and after shots.
Every bit as good as new, or better!