Yamaha RZV500R The 35 year quest...

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by busa1300, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Wildebeest90210

Wildebeest90210 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like to up-grade my blue spots by re-anodising gold, much cheaper! I think the gold spots have Ti pistons but they rarely come up in the UK so I have got Ti pistons made before for blue spots. Don't get me wrong, they make no difference, but I know they are there.....
    busa1300 likes this.
  2. busa1300

busa1300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm still not sure if I'll use the the blue dots, or I might still try to get a set of Brembo calipers off a JDM XJR400/1200.
    They are the same 100mm spacing, a direct bolt up not needing spacers as usually seen with Brembo's.
    Time will tell....
  3. busa1300

Oddometer:
    The cylinders went out in the mail this week also, after I soda blasted them and repainted them at work with etch prime and polyurethane semi gloss.
    After I got them home, I put them in the oven for a few hours at 200 degrees. Now the paint matches exactly and is hard as a rock
    Reboring up to the next size available. Front and rear pistons are different porting. Yamaha only has one of the two designs still available, so Mitaka is the only other company that makes the correct pistons. There are other options, but not with windowed pistons....I want to keep as much inside the engine correct as possible if there ever has to be a time to sell off my dream.

RZV repaint heads cylinders (2).JPG RZV repaint heads cylinders (4).JPG
    996DL, motocopter, joenuclear and 5 others like this.
  4. busa1300

Oddometer:
    The RZV500R has many upgraded parts over the RD/RZ500, but they are restricted by Japan with less horsepower.
    The pipes have restrictors in them, and the carbs have different jetting to go with the pipes.
    The carbs appeared to be in very good condition, but like all the other parts, they needed a 100% cleanup as well.
    I soda blasted them, then pulled them apart and put them in my sonic tank for an hour or so.
    They are now ready for all new jetting to match the pipes and ignition I end up using.

IMG_1582.JPG IMG_1595.JPG 1805.JPG rzv modernize (3).JPG
    motocopter, nuggets, AK650 and 2 others like this.
  5. North ride

North ride Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very cool.
    busa1300 likes this.
  6. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    I love this thread. Your collection is impressive. Carry on, Sir.
    busa1300 likes this.
  7. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh yea, you bet I'm in on this!
    busa1300 likes this.
  8. Canyon Rider

Canyon Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amazing restoration! If I may ask, who did you use to rebuild the cranks and do the cylinders? I know Wilson work on RZ/RD/RZV engines.

Here's mine with Lomas pipes, Canadian carbs and new suspension.

557.JPG
  9. busa1300

Oddometer:
    I sent crank and cylinders to Bill Bune in MN.
    I friend of mine has the worlds quickest GT750 dragbike. He told me he had them do his crank. He is putting out near 3x the stock hp through his crank and it is still in one piece. So I figured I would try them out on this.
    TSA is supposed to be building me a set of pipes, but I’ve been waiting a year now. Jolly Moto might be on the bike if I don’t get the TSA’s soon.
    Seeing yours with original wheels makes me question my change to more modern front and wheels. I’ll be repainting my original wheels and have all the parts to rebuild the original forks already, and have everything ready to swap when it is retired from the line up.
    Yours looks beautiful
  10. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a good friend who has one and a Suz 500 Gamma. Theres also going to be one at an auction here in my town in mid Feb.
    busa1300 likes this.
  11. Canyon Rider

Canyon Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a Gamma, too. It's more of a race bike than the Yamaha. It is a ferocious bitch!

560.JPG
  12. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    Yes, the Eighties. When 2T's ruled MX AND MotoGP.
    busa1300 likes this.
  13. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How fucking funny is that shit. Some of the first shit I ever bought on my own (Megaphones for my XS 650) came from Bune way back in '77. When I melted the bearings in my dads snow machine engine Bune rebuilt the crank. I was just a kid then. Bill Bune is a good shit.

Bonus points for his shop name back in the day!
    busa1300 likes this.
  14. busa1300

Oddometer:
    Engine wise the RG was definitely more true to its origins, than the RZ/RD/RZV.
    A number of trans blow ups when first introduced, initially put me off a bit. I would love one now, but the prices have gone beyond the RZV market considerably.
  15. Coldstreak

Coldstreak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm on board.
    busa1300 likes this.
  16. scrubb

scrubb Master of Mayhem

Oddometer:
    My good lord, your garage looks like a museum! I take it life has been good to you? lol.

Amazing, keep on keeping on brotha! Cannot wait to see the finished product!
    busa1300 likes this.
  17. busa1300

Oddometer:
    Well....it;s been a rollercoaster ride to say the very least.
    I've had to dig myself out of some very large holes I put myself in.
    I'd have way more if I had not fucked up so many times in life. :baldy

Seems pretty good at the moment though :beer
  18. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a Canadian neighbor that used to come down and spend winters here. He had a nice collection of bikes and always brought a couple of them down with him. One year he brought a fully kitted Gamma. I was into drag racing, and had two bikes. I took him to the track and hooked him up with a ride on my "tame" Pro ET bike, that only went low 9's. He hooked me up with a ride on the Gamma. That was one scary bitch. When that thing came on the pipe, it was one violent, tire spinning wheelie monster. The kind of bike, that when you stop and get off, you are trembling from adrenaline.
    busa1300 and BergDonk like this.
  19. busa1300

Oddometer:
    The Arctic -40 below wind chill weather put progress to a stop for most of the week.
    Got my wheels back from getting tires off, so I will start stripping the paint on them today hopefully.
    Friend got me a piece of 1/4 plate aluminum for my rear caliper bracket, so I can start on that also.
    Made up my rear wheel bearing spacer for the 17mm axle, and ordered all new wheel bearings front/rear.
    Also ordered new upper and lower inner fork bushings, seals, and head bearings along with race tech emulators.
    Bought all bearings from Yamaha, as it seems there is so much bearing counterfeiting going on....not cutting corners with Chinese copies on this project.

IMG_1747.JPG IMG_1748.JPG
    nuggets, Richarde1605 and rubline like this.
  20. busa1300

Oddometer:
    Took my clutch cover into work today to get it looking new again.
    Sprocket carrier spacer resleeved to fit the 17mm axle.
    The first round of paint remover applied to the wheels....not much else done today...

IMG_1760[1].JPG