Yamaha RZV500R The 35 year quest...

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by busa1300, Jan 27, 2019.

1. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tracks are inherently safer, because they are a more controlled environment. There are fewer surprises, and if something does happen there are corner workers that will let you know. One of the biggest differences on a track is that tires come up to their working, sticky temperature (particularly with very high performance DOT approved tires) and stay there. You'll have a more consistent amount of traction under braking, cornering and exiting corners. It makes going quick less stressful and more enjoyable. Now if you try to go from off the trailer to new lap record, you have a good chance of balling it up pretty quickly.

Not being a nanny, but have years of street and track experience.
    busa1300 likes this.
  2. busa1300

busa1300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A track can be safer.
    But it’s not a place to tune a bike for daily street use (which the last video shows a small portion of). Stop and go, various RPM’s in various gears trying to find the weak spots in the carburetors.......on the track the point is to never get far from the upper RPM powerband.
    I have a RS250 for track days (sadly collecting dust)...the RZV is just a bike to be happy smoking it’s way through the countryside. As I enjoy the music the bike makes along the way.
    Track days have to be scheduled.....riding back roads can be done anytime you feel :D
  3. busa1300

Oddometer:
    As a side note
    I just test rode a Indian FTR1200
    Seriously impressed.
    Much better than I thought, and would be an excellent day to day, back and forth kind of bike. Doubtful many would ever be happy long as a passenger on one, but riding position feels just right for an old sport bike guy like me.
    I’ll wait till they come out with one that has 17 tires/wheels though.

https://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/ftr1200/
    Fast Idle likes this.
  4. AK650

AK650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On paper, it seems kind of heavy at around 500 pounds. How'd it feel to you? Your bike sounded fantastic on that T&T run, BTW!
    villageidiot likes this.
  5. busa1300

Oddometer:

FTR1200
    I was concerned a little on how the 19 front wheel would feel.....but once moving the bike felt incredible.
    Seemed almost weightless, and switched side to side better the faster I took it.
    A lot more vibes as the RPMs went up, which is kinda the opposite of my KTM 1290SDGT.....but I kinda liked it that way with the FTR...
    Character, lots of it....
    A very fun bike

Test rides are free :ricky
  6. AK650

AK650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to hear, thanks for the info!
    busa1300 likes this.
  7. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WOW:clap
    This is THE sound.
    As i am familiar with the sound and the feeling (....perhaps half of it....see my avatar) and as an answer to the previous music videos , i'd like to compare the opening of the power valves...with Joe Morello going crazy

Busa your quest is over....Enjoy your bike!
    Richarde1605 and busa1300 like this.
  8. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Even better is Time Further Out. In Unsquare Dance, which IIRC is in 7/7 time, Joe gets through it and laughs at the end when he didn't flub it.
  9. busa1300

Oddometer:
    Gilmore museum by Gull Lake Michigan has a vintage ride every year on Saturday, and a show on Sunday.
    The weather Saturday was perfect, and I put over 150 kilometers on the RZV....ran great the whole time without the slightest issue.
    Today is the show....was going to be the first show for my bike......rain all day it appears......:permazot
    Next show will be Mid Ohio...not sure if I will be going to that or not yet, but planning on going to the Barber vintage fest.

The bike will be getting stripped down to some degree, and finally get a good going over now.
    Retorque/reseal/clean/new plugs/trans oil...fit my lower fair rock guard/fix a few more cracks in the bodywork/FZ600 220kph speedometer....and so on.

Then it will be ready for it's final exam....
    AK650, Fast Idle and plumer1kt like this.
  10. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    Don't tell me you did not use your Go-Pro for your vintage ride....like me.

Sure is fun to see and hear all the vintage bikes in action.

We had 30 some on our ride last month.

Sure is cool to see them strung out over the country side.

Hum...I should search you tube...
    busa1300 likes this.
  11. busa1300

Oddometer:
    No GoPro...
    RZV is in pieces now as I go over the entire bike and get it ready for the dyno.

My next project
    Hope to see it in person in 10-12 weeks.....

[​IMG]
    Richarde1605, Vrode, oic and 8 others like this.
  12. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap
    busa1300 and AK650 like this.
  13. busa1300

Oddometer:
    I went past the 1000 kilometer mark on the project.
    Still runs good, and only one bolt has been lost after all that vibration....:D
    The more I ride it, the more I find myself unhappy about how the carbs have been working.
    I have tried several combinations of jetting, but I just can't get it to feel perfect at lower RPM's without it being under some load (short shift to 2nd all the time)
    It pulls like a freight train as soon as I get past the 6000 mark, so the mains are good.
    It is running rich, so I'm not doing any damage. But trying to lean it out has proven to be a challenge.
    The emulsion tubes for the carbs I need are no longer made by Mikuni, and the needle design is well known to be a big part of the rich condition (taper design all wrong)
    The bikes jetting was originally designed to keep the bike from melting down while under warranty, so purposely rich.
    My only option at this point is to buy a set of specialty needles as part of a kit ($200...ouch) and also some exact replica emulsion tubes ($180...ouch again)
    I really can't take it to a dyno until my seat of the pant's dyno is happy first.

So......
    Things are pretty quiet until I talk myself into throwing more money into the fire.....as I wait for the next money pit to be shipped to me. :loco

CBX RZV 2.jpg
    plumer1kt likes this.
  14. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Possible causes for low RPM -low load operation
    • YPVS not synchronized
    • Slides not synchronized
    • Throttle cables not synchronized
    • Idle screws not synchronized
    • Wrong slide cutaway (probably not matched with your exhaust)
    • pilot circuit AFR incorrect
    • Vacuum loss
    If the bike four-strokes you are rich,if runs erratically/misfire /can't keep steady speed without throttle adjustments you are lean.
    Test with 2-3000 rpm at 1/8-1/4 throttle open and first gear only.
    One test with cold engine and one with hot engine.
    If it's not the same (hot /cold) check your pilot circuit AFR.
    If it's the same check the slides and the power valves.
    [​IMG]

Do one more test with 1/8-1/4 throttle above 6000 rpm's.If you only have problems there change the needles.
    yamty175, busa1300 and Kai Ju like this.
  15. busa1300

Oddometer:
    Everything is definitely synchronized.
    No air leaks and all plugs look the same dark color (rich)
    Powervalves fully open at the correct spot.....but after thinking about it.....not sure if they are fully closed when fully closed by the Zeel.
    The way the bike acts is very much like having the powervalves open too early.
    Need to look at what the total amount of degrees in rotation the manual states....they look fully closed, but even a few degrees could make a difference....?

Just sent an Email to Borut to find out how many points between fully closed and fully open..... Then I can calculate from my fully open position number and see if I am off.
    Richarde1605 likes this.