Yamaha RZV500R The 35 year quest...

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by busa1300, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Marco Moto

Marco Moto Voyager

Oddometer:
    Question... how do you register a Japanese bike in the US? I've done some research and it seems almost impossible to do.

...and congrats on the new bike, will follow closely!
    busa1300 likes this.
  2. busa1300

busa1300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys :thumb
    The RZV and the TZR are both over 25 years old so they are EPA/DOT exempt.
    When being imported, they will go through customs, and as long as you have documented proof of bikes age, it goes through no problem.
    Then you need all the paperwork from the entire purchase and import process to get a title....The Japanese title does need to be translated
    My RGV VJ23 was brought in with the engine in one box, and the rest of the bike in a crate torn down. (it was less than 25 years old)
    Everything went through customs claimed as motorcycle parts. That way the bikes serial number is not blocked in anyway to get a title when back together.

Museum....I had someone tell me if I had a certain number of bikes I could claim I had a museum for insurance discounts....
    I might look into that next year :thumb
    yamty175, villageidiot, AK650 and 2 others like this.
  3. more koolaid

more koolaid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_1278.JPG
    It may not be Barber but it looks like a museum to me.
    villageidiot and busa1300 like this.
  4. zzzak2

zzzak2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Love your work but wonder if each bike should get it's own thread to make it easier in future.
    yamty175 and busa1300 like this.
  5. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sweeet!!
    busa1300 likes this.
  6. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    Remember the scene in Batman, where Jack Nicloas/The Joker says; "where does he get all those cool toys?"
    busa1300 likes this.
  7. busa1300

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Bike will get it's own thread, but that may be a while as collecting parts for the SP version will be difficult....
    I threw it in this thread, as I had brought it up while finishing my RZV, just to show that it made it's way to the garage.

I did get it to fire up, and then checked compression, which turned out way better than I thought....165psi average.
    After I get my new needles in the RZV installed, I am going to pull the carbs this week on the TZR .
    Sonic clean them, check what they have for jets, and see if I can possibly ride it around the block after I put them back on

[​IMG]
    IMG_2753.JPG

Attached Files:

yamty175, Fast Idle, oic and 6 others like this.
  8. busa1300

Oddometer:
    Replaced the needles in the RZV this week, and took it out for a test today.
    Runs beautiful from 4000-11000 now, without the slightest hesitation.....incredibly smooth.
    Still need to work on the 4000 and below a little, but I know the direction to go now......almost ready for the dyno....
    sata, plumer1kt, AK650 and 4 others like this.
  9. busa1300

Oddometer:
    The TZR lives after a quick clean up of the carbs..... They had not be used for years the way they looked.
    Ran it up and down the road after video and seems to run pretty good considering the way it looks

youtube vid...

IMG_2777.PNG IMG_2776.PNG
  10. mentolio

mentolio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I broke the touch screen on my phone pounding on the like button.
  11. local1

local1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bigger problems than tires. Bracing the front forks was a must unless you want to go tank slapping? I set a friend up with a Canadian bootleg 500, he had it 2-3 yrs and sold it for cost. The good old days weren't really that good.
    busa1300 likes this.
  12. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 expert apprentice

Oddometer:
    I bet you're real fun at parties.
    scot_douglas and mentolio like this.
  13. local1

local1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Facts are facts pookie.
  14. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have only heard OPINIONS !!!

Don
    busa1300 and scot_douglas like this.
  15. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 expert apprentice

Oddometer:
    Sure. No motorcycle was perfect at the time.
    There is no perfect motorcycle now. What was the best at any point in time will not remain.
    Technology is advancing at insane pace.

But at the time, Yamaha two strokes kicked ass.

Surely you are old enough to know. Better.
    busa1300 and local1 like this.
  16. local1

local1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am old enough to have experienced alot.
    In no way am I knocking your bike but before you go triple digits address the steering. I am simply warning you of something that someone should have told me. Alot of people don't come out of the other side of a tank slapper. Enjoy
    busa1300 likes this.
  17. mentolio

mentolio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think Yamaha 2 strokes still kick ass!
    This thread reminds me of the mind-numbing fun (and wrist killing nerve damage) I had on my RZ350 back in the mid-late nineties. Clip-ons, rear-sets, expansion chambers, 30mm Mikunis (and a hydraulic cylinder steering dampener, jussayin’) and raw unadulterated testosterone...primal! That bike was my secret weapon, and I felt like a gp racer every time I took it out, which was a lot. Handling was...ok, but my ability wasn’t any better, prolly still isn’t. I don’t really miss that bike, per-se, but I miss the way it made me feel when riding it, and no amount of added safety, displacement, or tech has brought that feeling back to date. That poor bike is probably rotting away behind a shed somewhere in Texas...
    busa1300, steam powered, oic and 4 others like this.
  18. busa1300

Oddometer:
    TZR250RSP 3XV2

Handlings/tires and brakes have been addressed on my RZV.....no tank slappers at speed in any form.....smooth sailing :beer
    ...as can be seen a page or two earlier....
    The TZR is in a completely different league with its handling......literally a TZ with lights :bow

....a couple glamour shots before the trans/clutch come out to change waterpump seal....

DSC06176.JPG DSC06178.JPG DSC06181.JPG DSC06184.JPG
  19. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Very, very nice.
    busa1300 likes this.
  20. busa1300

Oddometer:
    I had to pull the water pump off because I was getting water in the trans after my initial one mile round trip on the bike.
    The shaft had started to corrode in the seal area after sitting for years. When I got the bike started, the corrosion started chewing into the seal area, so once the temp and water pressure rose up.....water passed the seal.
    To get the seal out.....I had to pull the clutch and trans out to get to the clip holding the waterpump shaft in.
    Bought all new seals and gaskets throughout, just so I won't have to dig back into it again.
    Also replaced the waterpump shaft with a better one.....

Then for the first time I was able to ride this project on the road.....not far, but 11 kilometers was enough to tell me the bike was working great :clap

DSC06297.JPG DSC06300.JPG DSC06307.JPG DSC06317.JPG DSC06327.JPG DSC06330.JPG
    flinders_72, oic, AK650 and 5 others like this.