Yamaha`s 660 engine comparison with modern engines.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Marty@32, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Marty@32

Marty@32 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I`ve got a Yamaha engined 660 MZ which i have owned since new (15 years!) and fancy a change.
    It`s the 5 valve head with twin carbs (rather than the later 4 valve fuel fuel injection version) and i wonder how it compares to more modern engines such as the KTM 690 and SWM 600 in terms of flexibility, weight, economy, tractability and smoothness, am i going to gain much (if at all) by going more modern?
  2. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really that depends on you as a rider. So go ride them and you will know.
  3. WolfNman

WolfNman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To answer your question-

A more modern bike is going to be better through years of R&D improvements, the value of that depends on your financial means.

Fuel injection is better than carbs for performance. Vibrations may be less than what you currently have. KTM has been raving about how smooth the new 690 engine is. Power. The 690/701 will blow your 660 out of the water. It wont even be close. Suspension may be better unless your suspension is tuned and the 690/701 stuff doesn't work for your weight or style. Brakes are probably better too.

Things like tractability are subjective. You'll have to ride one offroad to find out.

Things lkie weight you can google.

If you want something new and can afford it, go test ride one and if you like it, buy it.
    Navin likes this.
  4. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Long way to say what I said. Its all subjective. There are guys here thinking the DR650 is the end all, and for them it is.

Go ride em. You might hate all the traits it has that I might find I couldn't live without. And then there is everyone in between those points.
    brucifer likes this.
  5. Marty@32

Marty@32 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you all guys.

I suppose the big annoyances i have with the MZ are the the gearbox, big gap between 1st and 2nd and only a five speed, so between gears at times.
    Also, an uncomfortable patch of vibration either side of 4000rpm, just where it`s not needed in the powerband!
    I`ve been spoiled by recent ownership of a Beta Alp 4.0 (DR350 engine) which i adore (Don`t tell the MZ though!)
    I wish it was easier to test ride stuff over here.
    Not bothered about much extra performance but i wonder if the SWM650 might be a step down from the MZ engine.

Cheers.
  6. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

Test ride a few used bikes at dealerships. I get the feeling the 690/701 might not agree with you if you like the old DR 350 that much.
  7. Marty@32

Marty@32 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks again.
    Here are a couple of photos of my Beta Alp 4.0 for those who havn`t seen one. Non standard seat and exhaust system, footpegs moved rearwards, 14/51 gearing (standard is 15/48) BETA LKX 002.jpg BETA LKX 003 (Small).jpg

Attached Files:

8. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice to see another MZ guy around. I'm looking to get a DR650 soon and I'm curious as to the difference in the two engines.
    Here's mine...probably set up a little differently than yours:D

mz ready 2.jpg
  9. Marty@32

Marty@32 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep! MZ Handguards etc 009 (Small).jpg
    rd400racer likes this.