Yamaha T7 TENERE Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by VTbeemer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    It would be fair to say that the Versys 1000 and Versys 300 covers an even wider spectrum, without even including the 650 Versys.

We dont even know what the new Yamaha will actually be like.
  2. Motosapian

Motosapian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems like the FJ 09 kinda fizzled on Yamaha. They are probably wishing they leaned it a bit more towards the dirty side. They won't repeat that mistake FWIW.
  3. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    For me personally that wouldn't be a very wide spectrum. There's not that many types of riding I would find significantly more enjoyable on the 300 than 1000. Obviously the 300 is lighter than the 1000 and lighter is better off road but it's still so heavy with such poor suspension you gotta get into the mindset to take either in a tough spot.

Speaking of "wide spectrums" I'm hoping Yamaha doesn't listen to those on here begging for a cheap/reasonable priced product so that said bloke who actually has the means to buy a nice bike but would rather spend that money on 4 pieces of crap to cover a wider spectrum can a 5th piece of crap to his stable! :lol3

I'm remembering how in the 250 category the WRR definitely put more quality in their product than the KLX which certainly was better than the CRF. If the bike is light, has great suspension, is super reliable, wide gear spread etc it can cover a wider spectrum!
    Lion BR likes this.
  4. ctfz1

ctfz1 been there

Oddometer:
    I do not think I've liked a stock windscreen since the early 80s (counting Vetter and Rifle fairings).
    Positioning in traffic keeps me alert, cruise control seems a somewhere else function. Try to stay alone between clumps, when they close in filter past.
    That said there is aftermarket cruise (supposed? to be) available.

Power, suspension, gas tank size are big hits, other things pretty much fix if they annoy you. Not that I enjoy the extra research and spending. Manufacturers just do not tailor their bikes to me.
    petew, Ginger Beard and yokesman like this.
  5. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    The WRR was not a big seller and was certainly not profitable for Yamaha as far as servicing and repairs/parts go as it was such a good reliable bike.

I cant see Yamaha ever making that mistake again.
    rickypanecatyl likes this.
  6. rickypanecatyl

Oddometer:
    You're probably right Cruz... but I sure wish there was a way to make it worthwhile for manufactures to produce reliable bikes!

On these kind of threads I often advocate for the manufacture to go the extra mile, NOT cut corners and then charge more for a better product. Not because I want to spend more money; rather because I want to save money by spending more!

I corresponded on this point a bit with Austin Clews while they were still in the development phase of the CCM GP450 Adventure. Myself and a few others were advocating some modifications to the BMW 450 engine that would increase reliability as well as adding a 6th gear and more electrical output. The argument against those modifications was it could cost up to $1,200 more per engine (less $ with more pieces produced) and they were already struggling to keep the price below $12,000. Most believed adding another $1,200 to the bike would kill sales completely.

They were probably right but my "uneducated opinion" was those mods would have tripled the life of the engine as well as widening the useful spectrum of the bike. But it's hard for many consumers to realize that a $13,000 bike is far more expensive than a $15,000 bike when the first ends up costing .90 a mile and the more expensive one ends up costing .33 a mile BESIDES being more versatile. And if the customers don't get that but the manufactures do, why would they shoot themselves in the foot by producing a reliable bike the generates less revenue for them when the public isn't even aware of what they are REALLY spending?

On a side note some time way back I calculated the cost of ownership between my "KX370KLX" vs KTM690 enduro. The KLX cost me 3 cents a mile and the 690 cost me a dollar a mile. 33X as expensive!
    Lion BR and Dutch idiot like this.
  7. Treadless

Treadless avoiding gravity storms if at all possible Supporter

Oddometer:
    above the soil's surface on the left coast

Are you including fuel in that equation?
  8. rickypanecatyl

Oddometer:
    No fuel, tires, oil filter changes. Other repairs yes. The big picture on my 690 was I used it for commuting/transportation. The first year it went thru 3 engines, 9 fuel injection systems + various other problems. The cost includes what it actually costs when you depend on a vehicle for transportation but it fails - tows, taxi's, hotels etc.
  9. Trip Hammer

Trip Hammer It's not the years, it's the mileage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn....3 engines in a year??? I'm not sure any bike that did that to me would make it past the first engine replacement. That's loyalty right there!
  10. Treadless

Treadless avoiding gravity storms if at all possible Supporter

Oddometer:
    above the soil's surface on the left coast

Or something else. :augie
  11. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Good point. When it comes to adventure/enduro bikes we have seem to have three kinds: 1) motorcycles that are large, expensive, well equipped but mostly useless for off road riding for their size and weight. 2) mid-size motorcycles that are still heavy and more road oriented in terms of equipment with lower quality components. and 3) crap adventure-styled, alloy wheel, no decent suspension, less expensive bikes.

We are missing a mid-size, light, true enduro/rally machine. It costs to deliver that. Yamaha could deliver that with this 700 parallel twin, but it would be expensive. It seems some people here do not want that, because they want, once again, something inexpensive. More crap. Why would one want more crap on top of what's already available? Come on, save for another year or two and buy a better motorcycle. Then there is KTM as an option with its 790 development should Yamaha deliver another inexpensive and useless adventure-styled machine.

Well, I know I belong to the minority here with what I want, so please forget what I wrote and carry on... :D

12. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't disagree with anything you wrote, but I don't see that happening. To me, the whole rationale for adding cc's and a second cylinder to a bike is to allow it to be more road friendly. But in the past, that has meant a V-Strom or Versys or 700 Tracer, etc. Other than desert racing, a very small niche, a big (okay medium) bike biased that far toward the dirt is going to have to make a lot of sacrifices on the road-worthiness end (fuel capacity, wind protection, comfort) that it will turn off a lot of buyers.

To make an SUV analogy: Right now most of the bigger adventure bikes are like Ford Explorers, they may look the part but are really just bloated AWD station wagons. A lot of people want the motorcycle equivalent of an older Toyota 4Runner - not a rock crawler but capable enough to take you anywhere you really will actually go and comfortable enough to drive across the country. Much like a Toyota, most people want this from a Japanese mfr.

I think Yamaha has to make something like a modern equivalent of the original Super Tenere. I'm sure it will be over 400 pounds, but hopefully under 440. I have to think it will be a dirty version of the 700 Tracer, with real modifications to make it more dirt worthy. Shave 20-25 pounds off the Tracer, add a little travel and do something about the oil pan, and that would fill a niche and sell like hotcakes. I realize that is nothing like the T7, which will disappoint many. But I am equally sure a dirt biased Tracer would greatly outsell a T7. I don't think it matters if it has a budget suspension or costs $1500 more with a high end suspension, it will sell. Unfortunately, I bet it will probably be a "dirty Tracer" in appearance only and end up just being a V-Strom competitor.

I actually hope they don't make something like the T7 - at least initially. Not because it wouldn't be great, but if that is the first foray into a dirty middleweight, I think it won't be commercially feasible and manufacturers won't return to that niche.

Damn, I'm a pessimist.
    PsychoticRob, Lambo and BygDaddee like this.
  13. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Old Dog

Oddometer:
    So this is where this thread went!

Carry on.........................
    DavidM1 likes this.
  14. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look at the show bike, I have a converted sport bike to RTW n always looking for away to lower the seat yet only have a 19 upfront, the show bike IS a production frame,they need just get on with the Two models we need, a enduro n a adventure Im 6-4 n a 37 inch seat height with bags n no centerstand mounting it like a horse a necessity. But in my time frame would still need to fab my own racks etc as I dont like the lazy designs where to bags hang out. Afoot from the frame
    VTbeemer likes this.
  15. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Gonna be a long wait till EICMA so more speculation... Yamaha revamps the 700 Twin (exhaust and oil pan) allowing more optimized engine placement while providing even more ground clearance, 19/17 tubeless and sketchy suspension. Weighs in around 430-45 and has 8-9in travel both ends with 33" seat height. If an Ohlins/ Brembo option were available??? Take. My. Money.
    Nicholost likes this.
  16. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Other than the body work , the T7 looks pretty close to production ready. 21/18 is perfect. 34-36" seat height is fine as they can make lowering kits for those uncomfortable with a tall bike ( no need to sacrifice great ground clearance). Keep it around $10k US with good adjustable suspension and I'm all in. It's about time the Japanese deliver on a middle weight ADV bike that does more than look the part. If you need a road bias bike that can handle dirt roads, double track and light trail use then you're already covered. Strom, cb500x, Versys and heck, even the fz07 will do that.

Keep asking for another poorly suspended (oops, I mean great price point) , watered down Starbucks bike with a low seat height and we'll wind up with them sending us an "XT" version of the Tracer complete with TKC wearing cast wheels and an oil pan that would run aground on a can of Sprite.
  17. maxjan28

maxjan28 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DooSki, BaldKnob, Don T and 8 others like this.
  18. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Too add alittle, I wont buy a 450 about pound bike, if Eric Buell can build a 435 lb bike having a 210 lb engine and cast wheels for a 170 tire in the 90's ,we should be able to expect a parallel twin at about 400 with wire wheels.
    PsychoticRob and reg71 like this.
  19. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    I hear ya and I hope it is ready but still have doubts Yamaha will go that route. They should use the Triumph model and offer many versions of the same platform, you order what you want and pick it up from a dealer of your choice. Simple, as quantum physics.
    Slowpoke6, Nicholost and Ginger Beard like this.
  20. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

I'm waiting to see what happens for 2018. If we wind up with the T7 (which seems close to a wr700r) I'm all in. If we get a warmed over street bike like the Tiger (I'm thinking Tracer 700 with ADV styling) then I'll pull the trigger on an Africa Twin. I'm not keen on the weight but I'll deal with it for the total package. I have an FZ07 and even if the T7 tips the scales at 430 wet, this bike is so well balanced in the dirt that it won't matter much even with an extra 30lbs.