Yamaha T7 TENERE Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by VTbeemer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    27rich and Jeremy K like this.
  2. 27rich

27rich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed with yokesman, not sure why companies are still making adventure bikes in the 200kg range. I mean look at KTM, they've been producing the 690 at 140kgs for yrs. Surely putting in a 700cc engine, making it a bit more comfortable cant add that much weight, 20 to 30kgs max. and even 950 super enduro in 2006 was 185kg. Surely technology has advanced from there and manufacturing got easier/cheaper to produce.
    Hell, they've already got forks and shock from the WR being produced as well as the 700cc engine. Whats left to do
    Nicholost and Ginger Beard like this.
  3. O Captain My Captain

O Captain My Captain Upsetting the apple cart

Oddometer:
    Ginger Beard and BaldKnob like this.
  4. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:
  5. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Just the same photos from ages ago?
  6. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    One manufacturer will need to have the courage to make the new game changer motorcycle. Forget about GSs and KTM's large adventure motorcycles. Honda does well with its Africa Twin, but it is still a large and heavy beast. KTM coud do better with its 790 adv - R machine, I bet, and KTM's mid-size bike could be it, they have the ready to race attitude and know how to make them light. But I'm not discounting Yamaha yet, as they could do the same with the T7. They have the right size motor. But yeah, it is a risk-taking maneuver when the uninspired crowds expect their bikes to be inexpensive or they just want the adventure looks on a motorcycle. Yeah, what else to call someone who buys a motorcycle following the advice of their accountant (or wife...)? :rofl

And no, these are different photos and videos. In their text the guys from DueRuote say Yamaha has let them take the T7 out for a brief but intense contact ... That is, it is a concept, but it is a fully operational rally-enduro-adventure motorcycle as well. They took it to an abandoned quarry in the Alps where they rode it like they stole it. They say this video is just a sampler and in the June Dueruote edition they will tell the full story about this short ride. I will follow up on that and see what they have to say about this bike.

27rich likes this.
  7. White Knuckle

White Knuckle Whirlygig Operator

Oddometer:
    I recently rode my friend's FZ07 with an Akrapovic exhaust, and while I didn't really like the bike (too small for me, mainly) the engine is a laugh riot. You could put that engine in any bike and have fun. Hell, you could put that engine in a lawnmower and you'd still grin like an idiot.

If Yamaha doesn't **** this up, it'll probably be my first brand new bike.
  8. Motosapian

Motosapian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of a platform bike - a street tracker, a desert sled scrambler and an adventure bike. And maybe an up spec factory model of the scrambler with a 21" wheel.

But that is three in the bush and none in the hand. Yamaha could hit it out of the park or not show up.
    Nicholost likes this.
  9. 27rich

27rich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think manufacturers are starting to look at the middle ground. Both yamaha and ktm have there over 210kg + bikes as well as the 110kg bikes. So filling in the gap is what the market now wants. It will be interesting to see what both these manufacturers come up with.

Personally i think that the lightest bike of the two will get the sales as either one, im sure will be a great bike.

But, Yamaha or KTM if your reading this, fuel range is important.
  10. Lion BR

Oddometer:
    Please, no, no, no, KTM and Yamaha, no heavy tankers, please. If it can do 200 miles with one tank of about 4.5 gallons that will be awesome. The Yamaha can do it with the 700 motor, we know that based on fuelly, an average of 54.5mpg in 2015 and 53.2mpg in 2016 means 3.67 to 3.75 gallons for 200 miles. KTM, should make a similar effort. 5 gallons or more and we are talking fat pigs....

See? No one agrees with everything, no wonder manufacturers can never produce something that satisfies everyone. :D

If you want long range you get either weight or a very fuel efficient small motor...

Vargubau, Nicholost and jgunsett like this.
  11. Lion BR

Oddometer:
    That has worked for many motorcycles. But there are applications when deeper changes need to be made. Check the differences between BMW's R nineT and R nineT scrambler. They go deeper than appearance to be able to work with the 19 inch front wheel and the exhaust. I vote for a bike that is rally-ready, and for that it may require more than dressing it up with accessories, it needs the right bones... :lol3
  12. 27rich

27rich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would sacrifice 5kg for a STRONG subframe and a bigger tank. I realise not everyone wants 550 km range but here in Aus (and the places I go) there are some long distances between stops and i hate carrying extra fuel in bladders or containers.
    Now im sure there not going to build a bike with that kind of range out of the box and the 60% of my riding a 350 km range would be fine. If the bike was good and looked like selling in numbers then im sure Safari tanks would build something that would suit me and others.

You do have to wonder if the manufacturers actually read forums like this or ask owners of bikes what they want in a bike. I know everyone has a different opinion but surely over the yrs enough people have voiced for lighter, smaller multi cylinder bikes. But for some reason they have still stuck with building the large capacity heavy weights. Untill now hopefully
    FU Lyme Disease likes this.
  13. Harry Potter

Harry Potter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yamaha just make sure to build the T7 with an easy pull clutch. The 1200 Tenere kills my hand.
    eakins, 27rich and BaldKnob like this.
  14. Motosapian

Motosapian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Of course you are right. But that Yamaha engine has become a bit of a legend and it crys out to be utilized. And Triumph was able to manage different front wheels with the Tiger 800. Too bad it weighs so much. So we wait......
  15. 27rich

27rich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And wait we do. Going to be a long 12 + months. Gives us time to save
  16. OHjim

OHjim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, you know you don't have to fill it up all the way. . . . . .:D
    Motosapian likes this.
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  18. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

The engine. The sweet,sweet engine. It's precisely why I bought the FZ07 even though I didn't really like the bike very much. I've made it work for me with a better seat, different risers /bars and the typical travel related mods like sidecases and windscreen. The biggest issues with it are that the bike suffers from it's low sticker price. The suspension is terrible and the various coatings used are of very poor quality. I'm hoping that the T7 is a high spec/quality bike and will gladly pay for it to be so right off the showroom floor.

20170318_123414.jpg

Regarding fuel range, this engine is as efficient or inefficient as you treat it. I average in the high 50's with a daily commute through heavy Miami traffic. My worst tank has been 44mpg and that was 2 up at 80-85mph with a headwind. My best (which I've repeated several times now) has been 73mpg while back road cruising. It's accomplished that both solo and two up. So a quick recap is that with 4.5 gal tank, worse case scenario will give you just under a 200 mile range with a max fuel range of just under 330 miles if you are nice to it.
    Nicholost, 27rich and Lion BR like this.
  19. Lupin 3rd

Lupin 3rd Raygun Gothic

Oddometer:
  20. Lion BR

Oddometer:
    It will be heavier, and it will be bulky just for having a larger tank, but that's your choice. I'm looking for a nimble machine. There are no light-weight twin cylinder, rally machines out there. You can always buy an aftermarket tank to use it on the very, very rare locations and trips when you won't find fuel in a 200 mile stretch. Or... there are plenty of tankers out there... get a BMW F800GS Adventure, for example.

Anyway, the T7 photos seem to indicate Yamaha is keeping this machine (at least as a possible option) slim enough. And then there will be the KTM 790 R, in case Yamaha delivers a porker.