Yamaha T7 TENERE Thread

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by VTbeemer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. jeckyll

jeckyll Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    That's obvious from the video. Strangely, mine never felt like that, nor looks as effortless I'm afraid :D
  2. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just spotted a post on a Kiwi forum. $450 NZ for 3 weeks bike (CRF) hire. Wow.

Soz, off topic.
  3. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What the hell do you guys call single track.A s10 would not make it 200 feet on the single track here.Is that that the thin trail thru desert brush you call single track ?.Damn riding a 650 in single track here would fricken kill you here in a mile.Must be a huge difference in what people call single track on this earth.But i try to remember that many on adv think a gravel road is offroad.
  4. hookeniggy

hookeniggy Good at getting lost

Oddometer:
    Here too, off topic, but around $420.00 4 weeks on crf 250 rally, and permission to cross borders.
  5. hookeniggy

hookeniggy Good at getting lost

Oddometer:
    In our group we ride or rode ISDE Jeff, most of us learned riding on single track.
    Don't worry be happy!
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  6. Timemachine

Timemachine Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe it's because the seat is too high. I'm thinking about a bike with lower seat and some more power to make it even easier.

Captura de pantalla 2019-07-05 a las 10.52.40.png Captura de pantalla 2019-07-05 a las 10.52.53.png
    Captura de pantalla 2019-07-05 a las 10.53.15.png
    Captura de pantalla 2019-07-05 a las 10.53.35.png
    Woonjas, jeckyll, Wind_Rider and 2 others like this.
  8. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I always suspected I had a defective 950SE: mine wouldn't go anywhere near that fast in those conditions :lol3
    hookeniggy and pepebayeta like this.
  9. aristo6

aristo6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I have talk with friend and he told me that all T 700 in Poland are sold already for this year. Whats strange he also mentioned that all of those bikes are pre lifting versions so they are outdated already... Can someone confirm this info?
  10. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am hardly hard-core: which I thought my post made clear. I was 60 when I got my SE back then and the main reason I got it was the 950S I had was becoming too much for me to handle in rough stuff. So the SE gave me 10 more years to pretend I wasn't getting old and decrepit. :lol3

The Yamaha spec is ok, but I've become a real fan/believer of lean sensitive ABS/TC. I also much prefer a 19/17 setup (tubeless of course) for what I like to do these days. So even though my 1190 has all these things, after ~43,000 miles I feel at 72 I'd like something a little lighter/easier to handle (and pick up :lol3). And a DCT solution would be the cherry on the sundae.

So, still waiting for my unicorn: seems like a lot of you have found yours.
  11. mattebox

mattebox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    redkerk84, Tarmac Kid, MCGMB and 11 others like this.
  12. ballisticexchris

ballisticexchris Long timer

Oddometer:
    I could not agree more Jeff!! I have to laugh at these videos that show guys doing amazing things on a huge beast of a bike. How about showing the part where they wad it up and it takes 4 guys to lift it up. The reality is there are only a handful of pros on earth that can do this stuff. If we try it, an airlift will be called.

Just this small section of slight off camber and a tip over was a big deal for me:
    P4300042.JPG

I was sorry I had the SPOT mounted on the bike. I had no idea it was going to be this hard. Over 15 minutes and 6 tries to get my bike up. The ADV bike "lifting technique" does not work in these conditions. Slick moto boots slipping in the rocks, waded up the shifter like a pretzel, bent the footpeg mount, had to cut off footpeg to replace. Over 500.00 worth of damage and 5 hours labor for one tipover. I ended up getting removing the huge pegs and German shifter and putting on the stock OEM pegs/shifter.

I wish I could see the other 5-10 hours of that edited video where the bikes and guys are thrashed. Also would like to see the rock damage. Of course they won't show that part. Most all of these type of videos are 100% BS and fake. Very heavily edited to make themselves look good.

The Tenere 700 will be an outstanding middleweight bike but not a single track machine by any stretch of the imagination!!
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  13. AdvNener

AdvNener Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The guys are good. I kinda know a short dude who rides a 660 tenere like that. Like pivot turning and all the shit. He do ride what he calls "tough singletrack" in the Pyrénées. Told me almost no one takes even 4 strokes enduro there, too big/heavy.
  14. wheresbaoskee

wheresbaoskee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    shit sausage.JPG

The automatic translation of that video leaves much to be desired, but I think I get the idea. :photog :rofl
    ACR, Don T and BaldKnob like this.
  15. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure Mad Micks AT must be pretty well made. I believe it's his daily ride, barely modified and seems to crash very well most weekends judging by the number of vids appearing. Bloody impressive.
  16. mattebox

mattebox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They actually dropped their bikes 5-6 times in that video. A couple of hill climbs were unsuccessful and they had to try again. At the end the 950 had a coolant leak and they had to abandon their ride and head back to the cars. Yes, the video is edited to make it watchable, but they really did ride those bikes in those conditions. They are just good riders. Mick is especially good and you can see he's smoother and more relaxed than the 950 guy (like at 4:30). He's just very comfortable with the AT.

In the video mcmann posted you can see a lot of Mick's fails. In order to be good, you have to fail a bunch of times. He's just not afraid to fail. Also, you only do this kind of stuff when you ride with a bunch of buddies who can help you pick up the bike or help you in a jam. If you're solo on a long ADV ride then of course you're not going to do crazy stuff like this. But the point is these machines are more than capable of doing it. The Tenere 700 could in fact be used as a single track machine. Look at the way it easily goes over these obstacles:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzGENY_gk0M/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
    ACR, windblown101, mcmann and 2 others like this.
  17. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    No doubt it will be very capable in the right hands. Just not mine.:D
  18. Timemachine

Oddometer:
    Mate you are a legend riding these bikes at 72!
    pepebayeta likes this.
  19. Timemachine

Oddometer:
    Yeah I have always dismissed the AT because it was too heavy. And it still is, for me. But the continued punishment it gets from Mick (in many videos with many falls...) suggests it is truly a bike that won't let you down, as long as you protect the critical parts in a fall. The video shows the reality where one bike has an overheating problem and the AT just keeps on trucking.

It is a real shame that Honda didn't build the modern 750 AT, target the weight at 200 kgs or lighter and with the same unbreakable qualities. Yamaha have done it now with the T700 and I expect other manufacturers will follow.
  20. readonly24

readonly24 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He said: 25 m jumps? No problem. (In vulgar language)
    wheresbaoskee likes this.