Yamaha T7 TENERE Thread

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by VTbeemer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Timemachine

Timemachine Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like something else to go wrong with more wiring and connectors, actuators and seals into the engine to control the cams, and potentially taller engine. Then you got more work to do valve adjustment. KTM and BMW must be salivating at the idea of all these bikes with electronic and mechanical wonderment running out of warranty...

If they want to get more power from the engine, keep it simple with an increase in displacement, and throw in lightweight forged pistons and rods to offset the internal forces.
    hookeniggy likes this.
  2. powder85

powder85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You mean the ones with preorder from March that promised July delivery or the actual first bikes without preorder?
  3. Deathsoswiftly

Deathsoswiftly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This technology has proven itself to be be reliable enough in bikes and cars for several decades.
    The actuator system used in the latest iteration of the boxer looks simple enough to me and pretty easy to service in the event that something does go wrong.
    Yamaha will probably add something similar to what they use in their little r15, in which case the weight and price of the engine shouldn't go up too much. However, unlike the small displacement single, the cp2 will require crank and cam position sensors to work.
    The weight of the next generation models will definitely go up, but more due to the bigger catalytic converter.
    I'm no expert on the cp2, but increasing displacement might be problematic since the engine does not have sleeves. Neither does stroking the engine seem like a cost efficient solution. Forged high comp pistons are available for a reasonable price and I guess that's what's being used on flat trackers. I doubt they yield big gains though: in my experience one point in compression is about 6% gain in work if tuned properly.
  4. Deathsoswiftly

Oddometer:
    I don't think Yamaha has that many options when it comes to shoving the cp2 into euro 5. I doubt detuning the engine and a massive catalytic converter will sit well with customers.
  5. Deathsoswiftly

Oddometer:
    RockyDS likes this.
  6. mattebox

mattebox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This rumor probably came from this post about the 2020 MT-07 spy shots: https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/yamaha-mt-07/
    They are only speculating because the R125 got Variable Valve Actuation, but even they say "don't hold your breath."

The 2020 MT-07 spy shots show the CP2 engine looks the same externally. Only the exhaust looks different. My guess is the CP2 only needs some slight tweaking (no variable valves needed) to meet Euro 5 because Yamaha probably already designed it with future strict emissions in mind.

Yamaha has managed to put variable valve timing in an inexpensive small R125 bike. This is mainly to improve the torque curve at low RPMs and make a learner bike more appealing. The system is very simple and just has a low speed and a high speed cam profile:

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/yamaha/2019-yamaha-yzf-r125-review

[​IMG]
    Deathsoswiftly likes this.
  7. texjet

texjet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess I'll need to include in my 2 cents about the fuel tank size that seems like it would be a show stopper for me unless the T7 can get 50mpg while cruising 75 to 80 mph. Where I live if you aren't going that fast you run the risk of getting run over by just about everyone including Dually's hauling 6-10 head of cattle. Any kind of day trip takes a good amount of miles so anything under a 200 mile range would be a royal PITA. And no that bladder of extra gas is not an option for me as I would need to carry it all the time which would also be a royal PITA. The KTM 790 has the requisite range so it checks that box but of course the big question about it (at least for me) is reliability.
  8. New Order

New Order Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well. It's soon mid July. Not a word from my dealer yet. This is torture.
  9. powder85

powder85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same here. I have all my August vacation planned on the basis that I will have the bike delivered in July, I have no more remaining fingernails to bite.

I talked to my dealer yesterday and the info he has is 270 bikes are coming to Spain from the first batch and that they are currently being produced in France. Delivery on the last days of July.
  10. hookeniggy

hookeniggy Good at getting lost

Oddometer:
    He di
    He did not indicate, just said first bikes half of september.
  11. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    Hope you will have the bike on time man! you can take r for vacation spin.

i refrained from preorder because i believe if you make a down payment, there should be a delivery date as well.
    technically i think a receiver should be reimbursed if there is a delay on the delivery date.
    powder85 and Deathsoswiftly like this.
  12. Timemachine

Timemachine Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agree. It will be handy to use 91 RON in Australia (US 87). You never know what fuel will be available in the bush and the difference in price to use 95 (US 90) is 12 cents per litre (roughly 50 cents per US gallon).
    Wallachian Spikes likes this.
  13. Deathsoswiftly

Oddometer:
    A graves exhaust shaves off around 5 kilos from an euro 4 mt07. The 2021 cp2 will have a heavier catalytic converter, evidenced by the link to the spyshots of the upcoming prototype. Also modern exhausts make even the biggest engines sound like sewing machines:pep.
    Passenger pegs are around 1 kilo in weight savings on most bikes. I'm guessing a lithium battery will net around 2kilos in weight savings. Usually an aftermarket shock will cut at least 0,5 kilo. Galfer rotors are a great weight saver, around 1-2 kilos on most bikes while also greatly improving braking performance. Albeit pricy a set of lighter hubs can save up to 4 kilos, going tubeless will decrease weight even further.
    ACR and wildduck like this.
  14. powder85

powder85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not interested in a sound increase either, MT07 with a full exhaust makes too much noise IMHO. I will be interested in some decat headers or bypass, tho.
  15. LongTracks

LongTracks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stock exhaust sounded really nice in the videos. The only reason for me to add an aftermarket exhaust would be weight savings or maybe if someone made one that hugged the bike a bit better. Both are not very high on the priorities list.
    I've also been looking at MT 07 and tracer crash bars but these designs all mount to the frame (as they should) so they won't fit the Tenere. Maybe something like this is a viable option:
    [​IMG]

Anyone got any experience with engine covers like these?
  16. Chris S

Chris S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ".. unless the T7 can get 50mpg while cruising 75 to 80 mph"

I got 62 US from my XSR7 over 5000 miles on and off-road, so that would equate to just over 250 miles on the T7 tank. Just about enough but it is the smallest Tenere tank ever.
    Hope to be trying one this Friday.

[​IMG]
  17. philratton

philratton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I doubt i can make 62 mpg on a long trip with lots of cruising. But being able to do it, even if it means cruising at 50 mph for some time to get to point b from point a would be nice.
    Really wanted a 20 liter tank though.
  18. craigincali

craigincali I'll try it.

Oddometer:
    RG makes great engine covers. I have used them on a lot of my road race bikes. They go OVER the factory cover and are make of a plastic type material.

I would worry more about the hoses .
    Cruz likes this.
  19. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mmmm well I know some people (on certain models) who have had the R and G covers fitted, when taking them off to sell on the bike, have noticed the engine covers scratched with debris that have somehow got in between the 'protective' cover and the actual cover. Put me off buying them anyway!
  20. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    I like my loud exhaust during lane splitting, but not when i ride in rural area's.
    If the T7 has the filler neck in the gas tank, then should be able to add around more 3 liters of fuel by drilling a hole in it.
    Its a trick we do with the old Tenere, and its how we get 30 liters into a 26 liter tank.
    So possible to get around 60 clicks more range if it can be done:pope
    Woonjas likes this.