Yamaha T7 TENERE Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by VTbeemer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I would suspect there is a build up of inventory for EU delivery.

You know as well as anyone they are not building yesterday and delivering tommorow...unlike others here on Adv who think widgets just pop out if the oven ready today.

I'm sure production has been moving along nicely for some time considering all these finished bikes out there for test riding.

Somewhere there is a warehouse with built bikes and will be shipped out when Yamaha managers feel they are ready.
  2. oldoval

oldoval Energy Vampire

Oddometer:
    Just popped up on the Yamaha site.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. oldoval

oldoval Energy Vampire

Oddometer:
    :fpalm Loosen your panties, it's satire. And a cool bike to boot.

djfoell likes this.
  4. hookeniggy

hookeniggy Good at getting lost

Oddometer:
    So i tell the
    No idea how profitable the truck market is, most manufacturers relocated their biggest plants to MX, if Yamaha can afford to assemble in France there must some profit in this.
  5. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    I would say that's the norm, september vehicles are next years model.
  6. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    I'm scheduled for a test ride on the 21st....i'm actually pretty curious now what my opinion will be:drink
    Have you ever seen anyone in France with stress? :photog
    amboss87 likes this.
  7. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    Maybe a toy for us, haha, but they are also very effective commuter bikes here, so people can go back to work in september on a Tenere..
  8. Bikeaddict

Bikeaddict Bikeless Due To Recession

Oddometer:
    Well, just a few words after a test ride organized by Yamaha: Tenere 700 Tour, here in Europe. The test route had a highway part, lots of twisties in the woods and a bit of offroading. Didn't try the latter because I didn't wear the proper gear to do it. So, this a street-only mini review. And first of all, the looks. I think the bike looks far better in the flesh than the photos. To tell you the truth I was surprised because from the stuff I saw on the Web I couldn't actually gel with the bike. But seeing as it is in reality it changed my mind. So 4 stars out of 5 for looks. Build quality? It seems well built, some of the bikes had already cosmetic damage from falls in the offroad section, it gave me the impression of a robust bike, I would give it 3 out of 5 stars. Didn't like the lcd screen, for the money there should be a TFT one. The seat was a bit hard and as I guessed before even starting my ride, it would be a bit uncomfortable. We rode the bikes for 35 minutes. Ground reach was ok, I am 6ft tall 32" inseam, weigh about 80 kilos and I was flatfooting it. Riding position, just about perfect, handlebar close to me, and even better standing up position on the wide footpegs, 5 stars here. It felt slightly top heavy - it was fully fuelled - but I liked the balance of the bike, it was reassuring (not like the 790 though). The only thing that is a bit annoying is the right side of the engine that protrudes a bit and exerts some heat. Not much, but it's noticeable. Without riding aids, no traction control and riding maps here, and shod with Pirelli 50/50 tyres the bike was a bit reluctant when entering the curves but once leaned over it held its line very well and felt planted. Really liked the handling and it impressed me that when I pinned the throttle after exiting tight turns I couldn't make it spin! Brakes were very good also, some front dive, but I expected that, maybe with a bit of dialing in one can reduce it. The star here, and the star of the whole Tenere project for me is the engine! Torque everywhere, playful, and exploitable to the full! Very nice exhaust note too (standard can - one bike had an Akra and sounded even better!). Would I buy one? Well, for my kind of use, that is street 90% and off road 10%, I would seriously consider it. This bike also urges you to take it on trails. If I had more money to spend I would go for the 790, either the plain or the 'R' variant because it's a far superior bike. But then again the price diffrence here in Greece is HUGE!
    open1mind, I82l8, Chris S and 19 others like this.
  9. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's sort of a shit review.Damn bike is sorta made to do a little offroading and you did not even hit a gravel road(adv style off road lol).Yet the orange junk is far better?.If i was wearing sneakers and jogging pants i would have at least did some gravel.Total shit test.You should maby get a job at a mc magizine as you would fit rite in.35 minute ride is a joke and the thing is sort of a dual sport not a cbr 600 street bike.
    Brtp4 and hookeniggy like this.
  10. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And what annoys me is the 3 ktm,s i have owned broke down in real shitty places.
    hookeniggy likes this.
  11. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing you're not from Sparta...
  12. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    Wait till you hear my @ honest impression….lol
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  13. AdvNener

AdvNener Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah let's all shit on the head of the first dude on this thread that rode the bike... or maybe not?

Thanks @Bikeaddict :)
  14. philratton

philratton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really!?!
  15. conrado

conrado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bikeaddict. And try to ignore the opinion of people who "would have ridden it offroad wearing sneakers and jogging pants". :lol3
  16. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    Poor dude, you guys can all take a big crap on my impression too next sunday, lol :flush who cares:cob
  17. mattebox

mattebox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the review. I'm really jealous that Europe has such generous test rides. Great to hear the bike looks better in person! Some of the press reviews said the brakes suck, but glad to head you thought they were very good. Everyone seems to agree the handling is great and the motor is a real treat. I test rode an MT-07 at Long Beach and really enjoyed that motor. Lots of torque at every RPM so I didn't need to shift a lot at low speeds around town. It's way better than my CB500X. I agree the Tenere 700 instrument display is a let down. It's clunky, ugly and unnecessarily big. The same display from the MT-07 with off-road mode would have been fine and given more room for a GPS on the GPS mounting bar.

When you said the 790 ADV is far superior, do you mean the 790 R? We shouldn't take offense to this because it's totally normal for a bike that cost several thousand dollars more to be superior in some way. The 790 R does have more of everything: power, torque, features, ground clearance, suspension travel, high spec suspension and a better display. But on the other hand, the Tenere has less weight, lower cost, better looks (IMO), longer history on the motor, Japanese OEM, and better possibility to sell in great numbers and become ubiquitous (this one is important to me because that means more aftermarket action, more used bikes on the secondary market and more spare parts everywhere).
  18. philratton

philratton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the review brother, just ignore people talking shit.
    I have 2 questions about the highway riding you did. How was wind management? Too much buffeting or was it ok? And what kind of speed did you do and did you check the computer to see mpg?
    Thanks brother.
    Bikeaddict likes this.
  19. PDublYu

PDublYu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not a T-7. Not even close. But was cheap(er) to build from a used FZ-07. And works quite well.
    PS: Panniers are from previous RTW ride, not on this bike. But headed out on this bike for another lap soon...

file7.jpg file6.jpg file5.jpg
  20. Quercus petraea

Quercus petraea Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks good!!
    I was wondering wich capacity is that rotopax container...??