Yamaha T7 TENERE Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by VTbeemer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. hookeniggy

hookeniggy Good at getting lost

Oddometer:
    Yess that looks downright ugly, just a couple of softbags is all the bike needs.
    Jeremy K, DrHeinrich and amboss87 like this.
  2. amboss87

amboss87 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @hookeniggy
    It may be in contradiction to the pure T7 philosophy, but I never found my love growing for soft bags on long camping trips. I just have to carry my Aluminium cases with a soft bag on top. I dont plan for the T7 on a rear rack anymore, some strapping on the pillion seat will be fine. But personally I definetly need case carriers for my Zegas for 2-3 longer trips a year. Or RTW one fine day:wings
    If I dislike the touratech ones, I may end out design and weld my own, which will be quickly removable.
  3. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    Like this, totally fits the intended purpose of the T7, just a rental bike i'm currently traveling with, took the bags from my XTZ 750 Super tenere with me on the plane. IMG_20190731_085618.jpg
    Woonjas, DGR and amboss87 like this.
  4. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    I understand Amboss, I don't camp anymore, wake up to early from sunlight:flush
    amboss87 likes this.
  5. amboss87

amboss87 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats great, I will travel the South of Chile the same style on a KLR 650 oncoming December-January :ricky

But for my steady Bike like as I plan the T700 to be, It must have some sort of case carriers:nod ...though it will sadly add some weight and bulkiness to the factory-tight T700, I know. But I guess more of me are out there.
  6. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    Of course, life;s a compromise right from the start, had great experiences with the KLR in Canada.
    amboss87 likes this.
  7. Heipaal

Heipaal Always the hard way

Oddometer:
    I've seen enough of non T7 bikes in this thread now......
  8. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    t2.jpg
  9. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why do we have to wait so damn long in the states again?!?

It certainly seems like the more reviews that come out, the more T7 leaning the general consensus gets. I can certainly see why considering that if my Himalayan has taught me anything, it would be that simple = fun.
    flinders_72 likes this.
  10. hookeniggy

Oddometer:
    We would call that motorcycle emptiness..
  11. wildduck

wildduck CRF 300 L

Oddometer:
    Just to give the accessory makers the chance to develop all the great and cool add ons for the Tenere 700 that we in Europe are currently missing and then need to test for quality and fit-to-purpose. So you ’ll the complete experience right away. We just got the raw Bike :evil.
    Woonjas likes this.
  12. Bombadier36

Bombadier36 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I enjoy catching up on this thread about once a week. Again, for what I’m looking for the bike is tempting. The downside is the continued wait time until it reaches the USA and I have the bike itch now with my money saved and waiting to be spent.

Maybe someone can help me understand something...

Why don’t manufacturers release quality accessories (engine guards, rear luggage mounts, hard and soft bags, upgraded handguards, tank bags, etc.) when the bike is released? It would seem that having these items at the dealer about a week before motorcycle inventory is shipped will allow them to take advantage of the people who have the pent up excitement for a new bike. It’s the best time to sell them and there would be a minimal amount of aftermarket items to compete with at the beginning. Accessories also have better profit margins for the dealer/manufacturer.

It seems there are accessories to order but from reading comments people are having to wait for them.
  13. Tobers

Tobers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    According to two dealers I have spoken to, the T7 release has been the best from Yamaha that they can remember, with plenty of parts available straight away. I got my rally seat and heated grips very quickly, and ordered a bit for the tail end (I’m sorting out the ugly rear fender mess) which came in 2 days.

I guess they’ve had about a decade to stock up on parts while they wait for the bike :-)
  14. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I toured this factory and watched them redline each bike on a dyno after it rolls off the assembly like. Great experience but now I find myself snickering whenever I read of people religiously following the break-in instructions on their new T7s. :rofl
    internalcombust likes this.
  15. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    When folks actually read the break-in instructions (and fully comprehend them) they find they are not very restrictive. Most manufacturers recommend limiting SUSTAINED operation above a certain RPM. Too many people falsely believe they are not supposed to go above certain rpm's when, in reality, they should be revving it throughout most of the RPM range both up and down.
    Singulano, GrahamD, Peter1969 and 3 others like this.
  16. NuckaMan

NuckaMan Space Available

Oddometer:
    I think it was due to production capacity and not being able to fulfill and support both a NA and European release. Yeah it sucks, but it was the right decision for Yamaha. NA, especially the US, is a dying motorcycle market and motorcycle sales are up in Europe. I am considering both the 790R and T7 and currently heavily leaning toward the T7 due to the overall simplicity (relatively speaking of course). The benefit of waiting a year is for AM companies to have some time develop some nifty accessories, along with Yamaha to fully vet their production process, by the time it arrives here in the US. In the meantime, we will have to live vicariously through others.
  17. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats definitely fair enough, maybe it'll accelerate since a year is quite a long time and they've had good success filling orders from what I've seen.

I actually wasn't in the market for a bike because I knew I wasn't ready financially enough for the 790 R release to put money down, even though I considered it. Then I got a new job, feeling comfortable, realized my credit was pretty good and thought hmm I wonder... Asked local dealer on a whim about a financing deal for a V85TT and they came back with surprisingly great numbers. So now that I know I can get a new bike with a good trade value on my old GS, I really wanna. But then I thought, is the TT really for me? Think I'm done with air cooled bikes from now until I no longer live in the desert SW to be honest. And I actually go off-road so maybe not.. problem now is the more I read, the more I realize the T7 is THE bike and its around a year away. :(

Llewelyn Pavey and his Brake Magazine content probably sold me the most on the idea. Brake and 44T guys make fantastic content

lithodave likes this.
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I see precession at every step along the way there...no matter the price of the machine.

That's why Yamaha is tops at building machines!

As for the Nikken, it's very much a Euro build machine for those that ride in all weather and all road conditions. Grip is unreal even in wet city cobblestone conditions. It's purpose built but predicably does not resonate as well with manly weekend riders in the US. Doubt Yamaha corporate is too concerned with US disconnect, as they have huge plans for worldwide 3 wheel machines. They are a global transportation company not a weekend toy company.
    Singulano, conrado and I82l8 like this.
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I think every engine in most every machine is broken in that way these days.

Motoman was right, seat in those piston rings fast and foremost.
    twinrider likes this.
  20. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    So, I've made the mistake of looking into the T7 owner's thread here on advrider. Damn it, another year I'll be on my KLR. :ricky

The Yamaha USA website has a link to have a dealer contact me and I filled it out with the name of my well-trusted Yamaha/KTM/Honda dealer figuring at best I'd be able to get on a wait list, at worst I'd get ignored. Ha!

Subject: YAMAHA

HardWorkingDog
    We have no idea if and whey they are coming
    to America.
    Thank You
    James

I'm going to have to stop by and talk to Jeff. He's either hired an idiot, or someone has hacked their email system...

:patch
    ktmcrush likes this.