Yamaha T7 TENERE Thread

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by VTbeemer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It would not surprise me one bit if a company was beavering away to offer a T7 Prototype / Rally Raid kit.
  2. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:

Considering it leaves the header exposed under the bike it doesn't look too effective for real offroading. Perhaps they could call it the Starbucks Rally Plate and include a can of spray-on mud.
  3. powder85

powder85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is just an example, I off course mean a bashplate that fully protects the exhaust but that goes up until it meets the body panels.
  4. Deathsoswiftly

Deathsoswiftly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would pay for a cool looking titanium or poly skid plate, whichever is lighter and works better.
  5. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trouble with poly is flex and rock can still crack case and more likely on these big bikes.Titanium is opposite and can shatter.Aluminum just has the correct stiffness/bend to take more hits. I tried a carbon fiber one on a ktm and it was a 1 hit wonder.
  6. BlackDogCycleWorks

BlackDogCycleWorks Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for thinking of us. We are on the list to buy the first one that comes into our local dealership. We have not heard anything on timing yet.

-Black Dog Cycle Works
    www.blackdogcw.com
    Liberator and BaldKnob like this.
  7. Deathsoswiftly

Oddometer:
    I've had success with poly in mx and it seems good enough for snowmobiles. However, I'm afraid that when thick enough for use on adventure bikes it will outweigh most metals. They are usually twice as thick as any metal skid plate I've seen.
    Yamaha has to be given credit for the use of separate downtubes, which allow for a wider range in choice of materials: protection won't have to be bolted to the engine, frame and other parts that effect the torsional qualities of the bike. Hell, I might be even willing to pay for a tungsten alloy skid plate just for the laughs.
    At the moment, aluminum does seem to be the most common option for adventure bikes, but probably because of the low cost and weight.

PS I think I know exactly the carbon fibre piece you're talking about lol
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  8. Deathsoswiftly

Oddometer:
  9. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would if I can ship it to CA.

This one in Warsaw.

IMG_4149.jpg
  10. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    is the ally peg bracket going to survive, the right side on the ATs didnt. Honda changed it in 18.
    BronNowo likes this.
  11. BlackDogCycleWorks

BlackDogCycleWorks Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    We've always liked working with various aluminum alloys because they can be relatively light and can deform in ways that can distribute the impact load from critical bits.

Lightness, however, isn't always the goal. Overall protection has been. Anyone replace an engine case or other part on their motor - it's expensive. Super expensive. If that happens while you're out in the middle of nowhere it will be an expensive, time consuming distraction. We don't necessarily like long walks in the woods pushing big bikes so a little extra weight in an effort provide more protection has been where we've directed our products.

-Black Dog Cycle Works
    www.blackdogcw.com
  12. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Once upon a time aluminum was exotic lol.
    BlackDogCycleWorks likes this.
  13. Deathsoswiftly

Oddometer:
    I was wondering if there was a possibility that Yamaha would introduce an even more offroad dedicated version in the near future? An r/adventure spec version of the current bike with beefier suspension, maybe a bigger tank and different styling?
  14. Deathsoswiftly

Oddometer:
    The tested prototype bike seems to have much more ground clearance and suspension. It's strange that Yamaha decided to drastically reduce it for consumers.
  15. powder85

powder85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have you even tried the bike in the stock spec? The bikes suspension is very good for its intended use, not long ago it was pretty difficult to find a trail bike with fully adjustable suspension. The 43mm and 210 travel are more than enough, the bike is more capable off-road than 99% of users and its not designed as an MX bike to hit 3m high jumps.

If you want to build a dakar racer with this base, you will account for the 0,00000000001% of the target clients of this model, therefore, Yamaha is not going to make one for that small piece of the cake.
  16. Quercus petraea

Quercus petraea Adventurer

Oddometer:
    powder85 likes this.
  17. SW-MOTECH NA

SW-MOTECH NA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In case you can manage to get one over here... ;-)
    Bikes are out in Europe, and though they won't be here until next year, you guys can benefit from the wait by weighing in on what you want for it. Over on our vendor thread, we've asked what you guys want. Let us know what is already on your wish list--other than the bike itself, because we can't help you with that :lol3 --and share with other inmates as well.

The Red Bull Team of SW Motech NA
  18. Quercus petraea

Quercus petraea Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. Deathsoswiftly

Oddometer:
    Quercus petraea likes this.
  20. amboss87

amboss87 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right now I can`t imagine driving arround with this hepco carriers all time. Looks too strange on the exhaust side, but all aftermarket suppliers will have to face this problem.

upload_2019-8-29_22-32-29.png
    The lower crash bars look ok, but 5kg extra for this? The upper crash bars I don`t see a reason for when side fairings are not expensive, cooler is covered within frame tubes anyway.
    upload_2019-8-29_22-31-7.png