Yamaha T7 TENERE Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by VTbeemer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. readonly24

readonly24 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bike specific Barkbusters BHG-078 for YAMAHA TENERE 700 (2019) available. (Sorry for disturbing the offtopic talk)
  2. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    Great post. BMI is only a guideline. According to BMI, you're obese - and I'm overweight. So what? Enjoy life. Having said that, I'm actually trying to lose 20 lbs myself. Cheaper than a suspension upgrade on my 250cc CRF. lol.
    neanderthal and Peter1969 like this.
  3. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    o mi gawd.

Can we please move on from this shit?
  4. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    you should move out so you dont have to argue with her:lol3
    djfoell and neanderthal like this.
  5. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    You could always post something interesting for us to discuss rather than moaning.

(Just saying - don't get bent out of shape by my sense of humour.)
    x32792 likes this.
  6. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The last couple of pages confirm my sentiment that forums like this are digital pubs. Long may it last.

It's also great to read that despite the ravages of time everyone wants to get out and ride the nuts off these bikes.
  7. hombacher

hombacher Niederrheiner

Oddometer:
    ...maybe we are wearing our winter coat already, but two up on the new Tenere 700 means about 180 kg together, 180 and 175 cm high.

The original seat was okay for a little 300 to 400 km ride. Not super comfy, but enough room to sit good and not cramped. Meanwhile we changed to the rally seat, which spend a bit more comfort. Same distances can be done better now.

Tenere700 190810 1_kl.jpg

Regarding the suspension, with two up it is working really, really good! Just adding three klicks to the hydraulic preload and the Tenere feels in level and no oncoming traffic feels blinded by the headlights.
    If riding alone the suspension feels still slightly firm or stiff on little edges or bumps. Only if the road gets really worse, or if I am pushing hard trough bigger bumps off the road, the suspension starts to work.
    With 2 tkm on the clock, we will give some other kilometers to break in and before we start to modify the suspension. This said, all in all a very good stock suspension!

BR
    hombacher
    Don T, 97707, pretbek and 4 others like this.
  8. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very good points Mitch.

Hopefully, our USA bikes will have stiffer springs to start with. Probably won’t happen.

IMO, as a base for an adventure bike targeted for off-road riding . . . the front should have a spring rate for at least 93 kg (riding weight).

Here is a good video discussing adjustments (2-man job).
    true grip likes this.
  9. powder85

powder85 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried opening the compression 5 clicks and it worked wonders, try it up before modifying any hard parts.
    Junglejeff1 and hombacher like this.
  10. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Good to hear owner feedback , so much for it being sprung for a 65-70kg rider.
    neanderthal and Harvey Krumpet like this.
  11. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    If we're in a pub, mind if I sit at your table for a pint or two?
    enduro16 likes this.
  12. wildduck

wildduck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Back to topic:

German "Motorrad News" magazine. Comparison KTM 790 R vs Tenere 700.
    Just one magazine, but worth to enjoy and discuss...

Acceleration:
    • 0-100 km/h: Tenere 4,5 sek, Adv R 4,8 sek
    • 0-140 km/h: Tenere 7,9 sek, Adv R 7,5 sek
    • 400 m mit stehendem Start: Tenere 12,7 sek, Adv R 14,5 sek
    Pulling (6th gear):
    • 60-100 km/h: Tenere 4,3 sek, Adv R 4,4 sek
    • 100-140 km/h: Tenere 5,2 sek, Adv R 5,2 sek
    Junglejeff1, Don T, powder85 and 11 others like this.
  13. Deathsoswiftly

Deathsoswiftly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what tires were they running?

I personally measured my f800gs at 4,3 seconds to 100kmh on contitrails. Granted the gs gets to that speed in first gear but I'm relatively heavy and my bike definately weighs more than a stock gs. I'm no professional motojournalist either. A bit dissapointed with the results on the new bikes. The Yamaha is acceptable for its power but the adventure r's acceleration is actually pretty fucking abyssmal if I might say so.

By the way, have you guys seen the kapriony 700 racebike?
    View attachment 1885394
    kvango likes this.
  14. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    LMAO!

Why does somebody need to stop riding when they have kids? If you ride economical bikes and wear economical gear it's a rather affordable hobby.

My wife and I would just prefer to ride separate bikes now that we're parents, in case a catastrophic accident occurs, the chances are that only one of us would be killed/maimed, and the rugrat wouldn't be orphaned.

Carry good term life and health coverage. Ride separate bikes. Your spouse/partner may thank you later for not being a boring old curmudgeon homebody.
    neanderthal, BoilerRealm and 2 SPOT like this.
  15. r1d3rg652gs

r1d3rg652gs DesertSleder

Oddometer:
    Nice comparison but in an adventure forum I guess riders would be interested in different stuff...I will try and find that article online and read it via google translate. Thank you for sharing.
  16. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    ACR, victor441, Junglejeff1 and 8 others like this.
  17. readonly24

readonly24 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is what they used for the test in MOTORRAD 19/2019

Setup Road

Front fork
    Reb 10 clicks
    Comp 19 clicks

Rear shock
    Reb 12 clicks
    Comp 17 clicks
    Preload 10
    erey likes this.
  18. Gravis1982

Gravis1982 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hand guards are a bit different that 3000 suspension upgrade on a bike that is perfectly fine!!!
    Its very relevant because people will always say that you if you want more power and intensity get a 790r. These specs dont really support that. They are the same, with the tenere being better where the (safe and legal) fun happens: 0-100km/h.
  19. r1d3rg652gs

r1d3rg652gs DesertSleder

Oddometer:
    Ι get what you mean but I think the more hp from KTM 790 will be useful when touring at higher speeds 140-150km/h where you may want to overtake while being loaded with luggage. I think for 1 person the Tenere 700 is more than enough with luggage. For 2 up I'm not so sure but I don't care also since I enjoy riding solo...and prefer the soft luggage rather than hard cases.
    Aleksandar_the_Great likes this.
  20. true grip

true grip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gravis1982 I said I would upgrade the suspension to the best it can be. Never said anything about replacing the whole suspension. I wouldn’t buy the bike if it needed a whole different suspension. I’d buy the KTM with the WP but I myself don’t trust KTM streetbikes. If I can’t get proper sag for my weight with luggage I would respring it. Forks and shock. Someone else’s opinion doesn’t decide what the sag on my bike will be. My weight does. The bike comes under sprung for average size people which the Japanese love to do. It makes for a nice comfy ride on road. Which is why most guys say it’s good. I watched the video of the big guy riding off road and he wasn’t exactly tearing it up and was bottoming out too. Also he said in the video after he settled into the bike he would address suspension. My T7 is gonna be for off road adventures it will never have a givi top box on it
    mcmann likes this.