Yamaha T7 TENERE Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by VTbeemer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Desmofan

Desmofan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have three friends with 790r's: they are geared way too tall stock. Shafted dropped one countershaft tooth and he's all smiles now. Still, great numbers for only 75 hp in the T700.
  2. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tour and slab 2up w/luggage on DR650s. 30 more HP (90% more?) should be plenty for somebody like me. I'm also not averse to downshifting and making it sing.

I'm really looking forward to the ABS, and even the EFI, with the Yamaha reliability of the T700.

Even underpowered, overweight, and undersuspended, the DR650s have been fun, affordable, and reliable platforms for me to make my own.
    bradrh, fredz43 and triple333 like this.
  3. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    He didn't say that, he said it bottomed out a couple times on the hardest jumps, and once he tweaked the stock settings for his 243lb, it was fine. I'm looking forward to your vids of you hammering it harder than he did.
  4. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tour and slab 2up w/luggage on DR650s. 30 more HP (90% more?) should be plenty for somebody like me. I'm also not averse to downshifting.

I'm really looking forward to the ABS, and even the EFI, with the Yamaha reliability of the T700.

Even underpowered, overweight, and undersuspended, the DR650s have been fun, affordable, and reliable platforms for me to make my own.
    That DOES look pretty sweet!
    996DL likes this.
  5. r1d3rg652gs

r1d3rg652gs DesertSleder

Oddometer:
    It must be an acerbis supermoto high fender!
  6. Gravis1982

Gravis1982 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They only Japanese adventure bikes which existed prior to this, were designed in 1987. So ya, they were undersprung. have you rode the T7? If not, please stop talking about what it is or is not. Do you work for KTM in some capacity?

The africa twin and the vstrom are sprung exactly for what they are designed for. The DR650 and the KLR650 and the xr650l are just cheap and likely sprung for the average rider in the mid80's, or just used whatever parts they had around and rolled with that for 30 years.
  7. true grip

true grip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have not ridden it yet but the shock spring from the T7 has been removed and tested and it’s light. Sorry if that offends you! If you weigh 145 lbs you’ll be fine. Matter of fact if you weigh more you’ll still be fine. Just might not be able to get correct sag for your weight. It’s gonna be OK Gravis
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  8. true grip

Oddometer:
    Your same ole Twinrider from the SuperTenere forum.Why don’t you post a vid of you setting the sag on your AT. If nothing else you might learn something.
  9. Gravis1982

Gravis1982 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ah, that language and tone. This is what people resort to when they have no argument. You have not ridden the bike. Yes, it offends me that you are not sharing a genuine opinion. This is a forum. Its for sharing your experience , not re-talking the talking of other people who also don't know what they are talking about. Why are you doing that is the question? Many many companies pay people to sway people on boards like this. You are quickly showing your colors, perhaps this is you as well. When you buy the bike, and then ride it, come back and let us know.
    twinrider likes this.
  10. true grip

Oddometer:
    Not here to argue a point with anyone. Facts are more relevant than opinion to most people that’s what I was resorting to. I’m a huge Yamaha fan boy and can’t wait to get the bike. Didn’t mean to tick you off but your post just seem so weird to me. I understand Twinrider he has to sound like he knows it all. We’ve known him a long time he’s not gonna change.

Here’s what I’ll say to soothe you.
    The Yamaha Tenere 700 is the best adventure bike Yamaha has ever produced.
    That’s my opinion but I haven’t ridden it yet.
  11. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I'm basing my posts on the opinions of actual owners who've ridden the bike extensively. None of them have complained that the bike is undersprung. Just yesterday an owner was raving about how well the bike performed two-up, the rougher the surface the better it did.

Yet you still go on about how it's undersprung despite never having ridden it. What facts are you basing this on? The opinion of a non-owner who's in the business of selling aftermarket suspension?
    neanderthal likes this.
  12. true grip

Oddometer:
    I have no reason to doubt ktmmitch. You make it seem like any body in business is out to rob you. I asked in the T7 owner thread for owners to post their sag numbers and weight and maybe we can settle this. No opinions just the numbers.
  13. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    I'm gonna take my HP calculator out for a ride. It's got all kinds of numbers.
  14. ktmcrush

ktmcrush Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody?
  15. ktmcrush

ktmcrush Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone who owns this bike know if the bash plate below is a Yamaha option?
    I think it is?

[​IMG]
  16. Michel59

Michel59 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Flashers are bulb type, Led's are accessories.

17. ktmcrush

ktmcrush Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Michel59.
  18. ktmcrush

ktmcrush Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. Quercus petraea

Quercus petraea Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That skid plate is an original Yamaha accesory too.
    ktmcrush likes this.
  20. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Outback Motortek comparison (see below) looked like an average size rider. The bike bottomed on this dip.
    No big deal . . . absorbed the dip nicely. The stock springs should be fine for most of us.

More aggressive and heavier riders can easily upgrade the springs.

736C68F9-6593-4255-BFD0-A4A73E859D1D.gif

Attached Files:

Peter1969 and ktmcrush like this.