1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha T7 TENERE Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by VTbeemer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. TrailDust&SaddleLthr

TrailDust&SaddleLthr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LOL :D

But those are still just too in-your-face obnoxious, yuk! :devildog

:jack
  2. TrailDust&SaddleLthr

Oddometer:

... and Everybody is out to Kill you!
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  3. TrailDust&SaddleLthr

Oddometer:
    I am sure someone will still get offended somehow.... Can't please everyone, no matter how hard you try LOL :rofl
  4. TrailDust&SaddleLthr

Oddometer:
    Is the stock Tenere T7 tank metal? Can anyone confirm that?
  5. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Yes

A ute backed into this one

4FB56206-6841-446F-81DC-EAB99471BC8C.jpeg
  6. Timemachine

Timemachine Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aarrhhh, what are you doing with a Tenere in Australia? Not due here till next month. Is that one of the promo machines in this video with the suitably placed glove and careful video editing?

Hannda likes this.
  7. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Yes, I took that pic was about a month before that vid, you can see it at 40 sec mark and yep the strategicly placed glove :D
    Timemachine likes this.
  8. hookeniggy

hookeniggy Good at getting lost

Oddometer:
    You're a lucky guy!
  9. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    dangggg . . . you have a sharp eye. The hand-guard shadow does a good job hiding the ding too.

7C365955-EDFB-4930-A91E-40EC13821F09.jpeg
    Jollyrogers and Timemachine like this.
  10. hombacher

hombacher Niederrheiner

Oddometer:
    No, I wrote: 'Riding a Tenere is for open minded people.'

Not more, not less, your reading and understanding may be different, but this is out of my control. Interesting is, that there was an other 'fridolin' nick in other forums, which was more tending in dead horse arguing than in a discussion in that matter. But what I have learned in the last months is, that riding a certain model or even make, can heavily impact the cognition.
    Such as BMW 1250 GS or better Adventure, sitting on top of that throne it can not be possible that there is anybody out there, who may have more or even as well fun, when riding a motorbike. Being biassed like that, you will every time argue, if a new or other bike comes up: This is cheap, not good engineered, this will not work, will not be good for traveling, will not be good for off-road, there will not be enough product recalls to stay in close contact to your dealer.
    There is one step above the BMW rider, the KTM 1290 Adventure rider has reached the peak of evolution. Watching down from that high point, he knows everything and is able to define, what and how a good motorbike has to be. Everything fine so far, but in that moment if a ride report pops up, where any bike is rated as good, as nice or even as a very good ride, the orange foam will press on the brain and will bubble over heavier than champagne.

These are my observations and what I have learned so far, but this does not change anything from the written: 'Riding a Tenere is for open minded people.' I love the ride on our Tenere and I do really not bother that there are other bikes or other makes.
  11. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    If that is true, why are you riding it??
  12. hombacher

hombacher Niederrheiner

Oddometer:
    Naah not today, only 8 °C, rain like spray and a cold wind, makes riding a little uncomfortable.
  13. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    I read this in the spirit in which it was written... I too have witnessed a degree of douchery when it comes to the BMW crowd and certainly smiled when you mentioned the 1290 brigade... fortunately in really life most of these people are good humoured, it's just for some reason online they can appear arrogant and dismissive - the limitations of the ambiguous platform I'm sure doesn't help.

But yes - generally speaking, comparisons between motorcycles are tedious. They are all good - just that some might be slightly better at one thing compared to another... pick what works best for you.

Jx
  14. madrider5150

madrider5150 Riding somewhere

Oddometer:
    I think there is nothing wrong with more expensive vs less expensive bikes but the idea of laying down 23K or so for a brand new GSA vs someone who payed 3K for a strom- the GSA guy feels like he is more of a "real" rider because of the financial investment. I can certainly understand that thought but doesnt entitle them to talk down to anyone else- this is similar to HD big bike syndrome
  15. Gravis1982

Gravis1982 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is not about putting the hammer down and going 140 consistently. Roads like that, there is usually a slow lane...and sometimes the slow lake will still be 120. We started talking about this because there are always the '250 is all you need' people who say that its fine and anything bigger is useless. Its absolutely not true. It depends on your road. If you ride your bike as an adventure bike and a commuter and for just normal things you would use a car for, a 250 is probably not going to cut it all the time if freeways and rush hours are common in your days. If I cannot pull off a pass from starting 110-120 past a double trailer semi truck, with relative ease, ...and then settle back into the traffic flow at 110-120...then I don't want that bike. Why? Because if I cant do it, cars behind me will try to leap frog us both. The KLR is minimally acceptable for this. The tenere is perfect in my opinion. I think some weight will come off as well and bring it closer to KLR wet weight. Honestly, I think its the perfect bike!
    texjet, hookeniggy and Singulano like this.
  16. DORTx2

DORTx2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You don't need anything more than a 250 for any kind of riding anywhere. There is absolutely no problem wanting more than that however as most people do want more power.
    tonyubsdell likes this.
  17. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought they had a saying in Texas...

"Either run with the big dogs or stay on the porch"

Maybe that was Alabama where they have more side roads...
  18. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    As I have gotten older, ridden more, owned many nice machines I have come to one fundamental truth for me. Buy what you feel comfortable on not what has the most power, best suspension, wildest electronics, etc.

If you throw your leg over it and enjoy riding it then that is the bike for you. For some that is the latest and greatest BMW GS and others it could be a Kawasaki Super Sherpa but if you like riding it that means you will actually ride it and most likely have fun.

I went through my KTM, GasGas, and Beta Dual Sport phase.. Great machines that really performed well for what I was using them for... but... if it was an impromptu ride at the last minute where I wasn't sure where I would be going for for how long I would always pick my lowly WR250R over the Uber Weapons in my arsenal. Why you ask?? Because I felt more comfortable riding that bike than the others especially if I was going to be doing some exploring.

Eventually I sold my KTM, GasGas, and Beta to other riders who are comfortable riding them and are riding the hell out of them now.
    I82l8 and windblown101 like this.
  19. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That sticker kitted bike.....

I'm pretty sure I spied a blue T7 in one of the Italian review videos with subtler graphics but in the same vein, the yellow and black Yamaha block pattern. Looked grouse for the short time it was in shot.
  20. hookeniggy

hookeniggy Good at getting lost

Oddometer:
    I am currently riding a 250 in Asia, which is an overall learning experience, off the beaten path its fine, but on crowded highways it sometimes puts me into a position where i don't like to be, simply because it doesn't give the passing power to get out of trouble, a bigger bike would definitely be a lot safer choice giving me the ability to build a safety zone around me, i can anticipate on what's happening in front of me, what is in my rearviews i cannot, if i don't have the power to ride away from it, its a simple law of fysics, objects traveling at different speeds eventually wil collide .
    Off road my 750 would do the same thing as the 250, or better, so in my opinion the T7 would make the best and safest all around Adventure bike.
    If other people want to ride 250's on highways i think they deserve a medal, for braveness.
    To me though riding safety is nr 1 on my priority list because i enjoy this every single day, and i want others to be safe too, rain or shine.
    Being able to maintain a safe highway speed is also a matter of respect to other road users.
    tonyubsdell, texjet and Timemachine like this.