1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha T7 TENERE Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by VTbeemer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. ProLeisure

ProLeisure Gimme shelter... Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's simple, you love America and you're doing your part to stimulate the economy. She can't argue with that. ;-)

Reminds me of:

2. Jumpjim

Jumpjim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My T7 went in to Torque Racing Services (Bassingbourn, UK) yesterday to be fitted with a 90nm rear spring (I’m 85 KG’s without riding gear) and preload adjustable fork caps. Martin very kindly then adjusted the static sag for me for my weight. All I can say is... Wow!

What a difference. The ride feels much plusher with small road irregularities being much more evenly smoothed out, and the bike just feels much more planted on the road. Odd given how much stiffer the bike is now. 16mm preload shimming on the front forks seems to have made a big difference.

With the Rally Raid preload caps I can also easily adjust the front forks for touring now. I’ve also got the rear shock set for my weight at zero clicks preload adjustment, so with no luggage or extra weight I can wind it back to zero and not worry about the factory preset +10 clicks every time.

Overall highly recommended for both companies, Rally Raid and Torque Racing Services.

A771DD65-D57C-44AF-8986-812597D10DF0.jpeg 181E03BF-99B9-4D4A-9250-1DAE689215DF.jpeg FE0BA5F5-4351-4F77-88FD-FBF1D1E001E8.jpeg
    amboss87, scridercoach and ProLeisure like this.
  3. scridercoach

scridercoach Old crusty bast**d

Oddometer:
    So....completely different post from "am I getting a bike".

While I was sitting with my dealer and we were waiting for the clock to strike 12:00, we discussed the Rally Pack and it's value. I was kind of trying to see if he might offer up a discount on it, without my directly asking. He did so well on the bike price, I actually wasn't really trying, but wanted to see what he might say. So as I danced around the price point and what you get, bringing up value and such... I also stated, which was true, that I was going to make a last-second decision when we put the order in.

Cutting to the chase.... he pretty much said I shouldn't do it and go for aftermarket items. He was brutally honest and said he wasn't overly impressed with a lot of Yammy accessories and felt I'd get better value out of whatever aftermarket I opted for. That was a breath of fresh air and very enjoyable to not get any hard sell whatsoever.
  4. goldentaco

goldentaco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    similar story here. I knew I wasn't going to get either of the Acc. Packs and told my dealer when we spoke the day before. Without skipping a beat he said...I wouldn't. You'll get way better aftermarket parts cheaper. For the upgrades I want, I'm pretty particular in what features I want them to have.

So nice to get honest sales advice from a dealer who has every incentive to make money off you. I'm a first time customer with them now but if the trend keeps up, I'll be a long time customer.

J
  5. milo

milo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't even looked closely because I'm not interested in everything in either package but is there any savings when buying the accessories together in a package vs ordering the same pieces individually?
  6. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dealer called. His rep called him to verify that I wanted to order two bikes. No. What process.
  7. milo

milo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Noticed Yamaha said claim forms are "time stamped" when received.
  8. scridercoach

scridercoach Old crusty bast**d

Oddometer:
    Soooo, someone on the FB page just posted this email he got from Yamaha. ...and still no claim number for me. I’m steeling myself to see this hit my inbox.

7D80D841-58E1-4CF7-9A5B-F27DF0247F80.jpeg
  9. rhicks

rhicks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They should have had it so that it was also matched with the reservation number. I got my reservation e-mail at 10:01 (mountain) but who knows when the dealer actually got a claim time stamp. It would also be nice if folks got a confirmation from Yamaha about the status of the claim for the bike.
  10. whisperquiet

whisperquiet Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    62298 in lovely corrupt/bankrupt Southern Illinois
    I was able to order my T7 and received confirmation from Yamaha quickly:

Subject: Thank You for Reserving Your Yamaha Ténéré 700
    Date: May 22, 2020 at 11:10:38 AM CDT

I ordered a white/red one with blue/black as a second choice. I then rode over to my selling dealer with the information and confirmation number. He immediately called his Yamaha rep with the information....the Yamaha rep asked for my information and I conversed with him personally. I asked him about the delivery date and if my priority red/white was probable. He told me that all T7s would be delivered between June and August, but could not promise me a delivery date for my bike. The rep did say that Yamaha was overwhelmed with the response and had way more orders than they anticipated!

I ordered my bike with no accessories and plan to install heated grips, tail rack, tank bag, Tusk racks/soft bags (when available), and my Garmin Montana AMPS mount in due time.
  11. WNW

WNW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm in an unpleasant long limbo between bikes, planning on getting another Beemer but am also very interested in one of these, I think it would be just perfect for my needs. So I've been paying close attention, and today at 9AM I filled out the online form, but before submitting I thought about it---no OTD price, no confirmation of when, no indication they're handling this efficiently, could just be setting myself up for disappointment, especially when they're already "sold out" on day one.

And I'd be buying a first-year bike sight unseen which is a never-do in my book. So, last look at this thread and I'm finally done waiting for this bike to materialize. I'll check back next year.

Any of you folks who has to sell his 2013+ F800GS to get one of these, PM me!
  12. duggram

Oddometer:
    What makes you think this is a first year bike? It's been out more than a year. When my bike gets here if I don't like the deal I won't take it.
  13. whisperquiet

whisperquiet Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    62298 in lovely corrupt/bankrupt Southern Illinois
    Yabbut, Yamaha has been developing it for about four years! I was able to sit on one at the Chicago bike show in February and determine that it did fit me. I have had decent luck/experience with many a first year motorcycle purchase in the past-----hope the 700 Tenere is a continuation of great bikes.

BTW, I had a rough estimate of the OTD price prior to order from my local trustworthy dealer....
    fredz43 likes this.
  14. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Per my dealer . . . They had 3 deposits . . . but, I was the only one to provide them with a Reservation #.

I am guessing they were sold out in 2.5 hours.
  15. Kaveman

Kaveman Unga.. Bunga..... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did the reservation and got a reservation # at 11:05. cst. I immediately called my dealer with the #.
    I got a call from Yamaha at 2:41 cst. He wanted me to know that a $500 deposit was required and I told him that my dealer had my deposit already. He said good and wanted me to confirm with my dealer that everything had went through on his end.
    I immediately called them and talked to the guy I deal with. He said he thought everything had went well and a claim was entered. He didn’t really have any other info. I’m the only one that has ordered or has shown any interest in the T7 at this dealership. I hope I get one and everyone that pre ordered gets one too.
  16. dmottv

dmottv Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer:
    800 bikes, 2.5 hrs: 1 every 12 seconds!
  17. duggram

Oddometer:
    Interesting, what makes you think it sold out in 2.5 hours?
  18. pazzo

pazzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea, do tell....:jack
  19. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just a guess. I was not able to place my order until 2:00 . . . It went through and I got a # at 2:09 Eastern.
    A friend tried at 2:45 and (it went through) did not get a reservation #.

What is the latest someone received a reservation?
  20. duggram

Oddometer:
    I'm no help. I got my # at 12:22 ET. However, my dealer had a tough time getting the system to accept the form he had to submit. Once he got that done he got a call from his Yamaha rep wanting to know if I really wanted to order two bikes. I think I said before, what a clusterphuck.