Yamaha T7 TENERE Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by VTbeemer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    So this was open till June something and sold it in day 1.

Yamaha severely under-estimated demand and under-supplied the initial batch to the US.

Talk about an planning mistake when you have hot buyers. This also screws dealers from selling more units too as they need it.

I'm sure there is alot of WTF from dealers to reps going on right now. Maybe 800 units is all that was possible production rotation wise for Japan to produce this time, but damn don't hype a bike for 4 years then not offer enough for sale Yamaha. Fire your marketing 101 guy asap!

I hope all you early $500 depositees are getting a bike and not caught in that mess.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    True that.

But once this system was clear & in place I say any buyer should have been on the phone with their dealer adap asking for them to complete the full process (like many dealer did for their buyers) and if not ask why not? as others dealers are and then if you still need to do it yourself...ok I'll be at your dealership before it online opens and I need to use a computer and I will do this and then you will immediately order... anything less is unacceptable.

It was clear to everyone, except maybe Yamaha, there was going to be huge intitial demand.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Our bikes pushed thru at 12:01 and ordered.
  4. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    In the time it took Yamaha to deliver 800 motorcycles to America:

Aaron Hernandez was found guilty
    Pope Francis made his inaugural visit to the United States
    Star Wars: The Force Awakens was released
    Kendall Jenner amassed 3.3m likes on her Instagram photo
    Volkswagen recalled 11m diesel vehicles
    New England Patriots were fined $1m for improperly deflating footballs
    The U.K. voted to quit the European Union
    The Winter Olympics took place in Pyeongchang, South Korea
    Prince Harry and Meghan Markle were married
    Hurricane Michael slammed the southern US
    Hurricane Florence wreaked havoc on the Carolinas
    Notre Dame Cathedral burned
    Hurricane Dorian hit the Bahamas
    A years long search was conducted for Malaysia Airlines MH370
    Yamaha released the Nikken, filling a huge gap in unwanted, unsold three-wheelers
    kvango, WilVis, BoneDigger and 6 others like this.
  5. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    If not, why not? Perhaps because the dealer only has one salesman working through the pandemic and that salesman was on the phone to other customers? Why in hell are you on here every day as the lead Yamaha apologist? Are you paid extra for that?

Turning buying a motorcycle into the hunger games is a bad business model.
    WilVis, lithodave, pazzo and 3 others like this.
  6. ProLeisure

ProLeisure Gimme shelter... Supporter

Oddometer:
    TL;DR

I submitted my order via the Yamaha site, received a reservation number and immediately called my dealership (Roseville Motorsports), with my required reservation number. The dealership didn’t submit my order to Yamaha until I contacted them asking them what my confirmation number was. The dealership said they got my order in, but right after I hung up the phone I received an email from Yamaha stating I was too late.

==================

Long version:

I called my dealership on 5/1/20 and spoke to a gentleman named Marco and gave my credit card number to leave a $500 deposit on a white Tenere 700. (I should note that there are two other dealerships 45+ miles closer to me, but I bought my WR250R from this dealership and had a good experience so I decided to go with them again).

On 5/19/20 like everyone here, I received an email from Yamaha stating that on 5/22/20 Yamaha would be opening their website to take orders on the new Tenere 700. I called Marco right away and asked if there was anything I needed to do. Marco, put me on hold to talk to his sales manager. When Marco came back he stated that I should submit my pre-order on 5/22 via the Yamaha website instead of going through them. Marco also stated that they never charged my credit card for my original $500 deposit, which was strange because even on their own dealership website they’ve been advertising that they were taking deposits for the “new Tenere 700” for the last week or so.

On 5/22/20 at 9:00 AM via Yamaha’s site, I placed my pre-order for a white Tenere 700, received a reservation number and per Yamaha’s instructions called my dealer and gave them the required information. The dealership was then supposed to submit the order to Yamaha at which point I’d receive a confirmation number from my dealership.

After waiting most of the day to receive a confirmation number from my dealership I called them back. I spoke to Marco again and he stated that he ran my credit card for the $500 deposit. I asked if he had submitted my order to Yamaha and he said he had not and that he didn’t know he supposed to, but he put me on hold to talk to the sales manager. After about 5 minutes Marco returned and said that my request for a white Tenere 700 had been submitted to Yamaha and that I got one of the last white Tenere 700s. Fantastic! I was definitely excited and Marco sincerely sounded excited for me too. However, that excitement lasted about 30 seconds because right after I hung up the phone, I received an email from Yamaha stating:

Thank you for your interest in the highly-anticipated Ténéré 700. Unfortunately, due to high product demand, our first wave of reservations have already been claimed.

WTF? Had Marco just openly lied to me? I immediately called the dealership back and was put on hold for ten minutes and then was transferred to a random voicemail box. I hung up and waited for 15 minutes, called back and was put on hold again for 10 minutes at which point the front desk person came back on the line and said Marco was with some customers and asked me for a number where Marco could reach me when he was done.

After not receiving a call for almost two hours I called the dealership again and was put on hold for 15 minutes. The front desk person came back on line and told me they were very busy and could they call me back? She took my number, but I knew I wouldn’t hear back that day because the dealership was closing in 5 minutes.

This morning (5/23), I called the dealership and had a brief conversation with Marco. I read him the email I received from Yamaha stating I’d missed out on the bike. He said he didn’t have time to look into right then because he had five people picking up new motorcycles this morning, but he was confident that I got a bike. He said he and his sales manager had even talked to Yamaha corporate yesterday when placing my order and the order was confirmed.

I’m extremely disappointed right now with the whole process, both with the dealership I chose to work with (Roseville Motorsports), and Yamaha corporate because I did everything on my end I was asked to do, but at this point I’m less than optimistic I’ll be getting a bike this first round.

We’ll see.
    Bike Guy likes this.
  7. scridercoach

scridercoach Old crusty bast**d

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth (and as I alluded to in previous posts), I was at my dealer with my own laptop. I put in for the reservation and then he was on YDP (their inventory site) and he immediately attempted to put the order in. This was basically at 12:04 or:05 EST. He couldn't do it because Yamaha had not uploaded the correct form that was distinctly dictated in the sales bulletin provided to the dealers. So by no means was it his fault. We called corporate and on the first call held for about 15 minutes and then were told to try the website again in 15 minutes. We both had the page up on each of our computers and would refresh repeatedly. We called again after 20 minutes and THEN were told the system crashed and they were working on it. So we did the same thing with refreshing pages. Finally after about an hour to an hour and a half after initially trying to submit the order, the right paperwork was online. Submitted it within four minutes.

So I know mine was ordered correctly, despite the technological asshattery. However, unfortunately, I still don't have a confirmation number. On the plus side I don't have a "We're sorry" sold out email either. The dealer hasn't seen a confirmation number (but I'm not totally sure he's looking in the right place.) I'm keeping my fingers crossed and at this point am just trying to go with the flow.

I still want those who put deposits down months ago to get their bikes. I want mine, but given my deposit was at the time of order, I'm okay with waiting if I knew that those who did the right thing early are rewarded for their diligence.
    ProLeisure likes this.
  8. rhicks

rhicks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So even though you got a confirmation number Yamaha didn't hold anything and the dealer borked you? That's exactly what I'm afraid of although I didn't get any second e-mail from Yamaha just yet. I wish they would send out a "You're in" e-mail just so there is no guessing about it.
  9. slakDawg

slakDawg New & improved with Ti hardware (me not the bike)

Oddometer:
    Dealers (majority not all) are like toddlers with ADHD. You have to spoon feed them and hold their hands and educate them and make sure they wipe when they go potty and wash their hands after. They mostly care about selling stock on the floor that day. Not some pre-order, deposit taking, that might end in a sale, in the future.

At least IMHO.

BTW: I knew more than my dealer up until Thursday, the day before PDP. But they were willing to listen to me and read the sales bulletin and help me get this order in. Even in spite of the YDS having issues.

The customer reservation number was only step one. Dealer used this to place a claim in YDS. They then should have received a claim number. This is the confirmation that you got one of the initial shipment.
  10. ProLeisure

ProLeisure Gimme shelter... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, at this point I think that's what happened. We'll see when I talk to the dealer (Roseville Motorsports), again.

Like I mentioned this morning the dealer stated that they were able to get my order in. However, I received the email from Yamaha stating I was too late while I was on hold with the dealership while they were in the process of trying to place my order. (Note: I didn't see the email notifying me I was too late until I hung up with the dealership). My suspicion is that the dealership tried to place an order for one of the first round of bikes, and maybe even thought they did, but in fact they were too late.

Here's the first email I received from Yamaha after filling out their online form:
    T7_Info.png

Here's the 2nd email I received while the dealership was placing my order:
    T7_No_Soup_For_You.png
  11. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I predict since the first batch of 800 sold out so quickly, there will be another chance to order one very soon.

Yamaha now realizes it has a hot commodity to sell in the USA and will make them available here.
  12. pazzo

pazzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think there was enough confusion we can say, this is really ONLY Yamaha's fault and not the fault of dealers or customers.
    Yamaha should've made sure dealers were prepared for exactly what needs to be done and NOT put the onus on the customer to create an order on 5/22 starting @ 12pm, call the dealer....make sure the dealer does "thier thing" while standing on thier head, with their right thumb up their ass...etc...etc.:rofl

What would've happened, had my order in Feb with my local dealer including 500 dep, just been sitting there if say....I dunno....
    I didn't watch some forum or check Yamaha's website every day/week./momth.
    I'd likely be screwed out of a bike, I thought I really wanted. :jack

Yamaha screwed the pooch and what they might want to consider "gaging" is how many will go buy brand X because they waited forever to get a bike to the US/Can in the first place, and waited with deposit in hand and now are shit outta luck.

When you do these launches they need to be an event other than a cluster fu@K.
    Ducati does them well, the introduction of the new Monster in 2008 was awesome, customer were treated like royalty, not some servant pee-on.
    Snowbird likes this.
  13. scridercoach

Oddometer:
    I'd say you're pretty spot on with the general dealer analysis. That's why I went directly to my dealer. He hadn't done his homework, overall, but was good enough to sit with me and suffer through the process. He's an overall good guy (he's part-owner). But, you're totally right, most dealers want to get floor stock gone. And you can't blame them, inventory on the floor is shrinking profit margin.
  14. scridercoach

Oddometer:
    I agree that overall this was corporate Yamaha's fault. However, they did send out the instructions to the dealers prior to the 22nd, not with a ton of advance notice, but they did. So there is some onus on dealers who had no idea because they didn't monitor their emails. I had a dealer send me a text today that said I could pre-order a Tenere'. He didn't send the email yesterday or before that. They received notice on Tuesday the 19th (at least that's the date of the email to my dealer). I just texted him back with "They're already sold out", of course, he didn't respond.
  15. pazzo

pazzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yamaha has been pitching this to the US market for quite some time. Some other function or ordering and tracking to delivery would've been better than this and there was plenty of time to implement it.
    Making the customer do anything is bad form and not of a marquee name.

But yes, I don't really think of Yamaha when I think marquee.
    Snowbird and scridercoach like this.
  16. slakDawg

slakDawg New & improved with Ti hardware (me not the bike)

Oddometer:
    There seems to be a direct disconnect between Yamaha marketing and the dealer network. Unless a dealer themselves were interested in this bike, most didn't know about it. I talked with five local dealers and I knew more than them from day one to pre-order time.
    Snowbird and scridercoach like this.
  17. scridercoach

Oddometer:
    Yep. You'd think corporate would have had a better read on all of this and in turn really urged dealers to prep accordingly.

As far as marque, I don't think of any brand as being marquee.
  18. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know how I can tell that I'm getting a new T700? The KTM dealer called today asking if I want the last 790 they have. Yes, if I didn't get the 700 I want that 790. Can I tell without talking to my Yamaha dealer? What about the message below that I got from Yamaha, does it mean I got my order in on time? That's the only message I got from Yamaha. I did not get a phone call from Yamaha. In all the chaos I'm sure I heard the dealer ask me if I got a phone call, and I didn't. But I also didn't get one of the rejection messages.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    At 12:18:58 EDT I got this message

May 22, 2020 at 10:18:58 AM MDT
    Your Ténéré 700 is Almost Ready!

Contact your dealer with the Reservation Number below to place your $500 deposit and finalize your Ténéré 700 reservation.

RESERVATION NUMBER: I25CKNI4....
    pazzo likes this.
  19. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    I just heard there are huge discounts on vehicles, trucks in particular. I can save enough on a pickup to get a free Tenere 700. Maybe I'll ask the dealer to find one and put it in the back and pay full sticker. Looking for a Ford/Yamaha dealer...

Isn't a marquee the posting outside a theater? And a marque a brand?
    mikegc, scridercoach and pazzo like this.
  20. scridercoach

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Isn't it enough that we had to suffer through the education system to correct us? No... An ADV motorcycle enthusiast just schooled us. Damn! :muutt

And like a good student, I went and corrected my work.
    Snowbird likes this.