1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha T7 TENERE Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by VTbeemer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Calibre

Calibre Canadian, eh.

Oddometer:
    Wow, Fuck you Yamaha. And to think I was going to start ordering farkles. I'm in the 2nd Canadian shipment. :baldy I have a rally at the end of June.
    Belgradian likes this.
  2. scridercoach

scridercoach Old crusty bast**d

Oddometer:
    Okay. I'm keeping optimistic that I'm getting one, despite still not having the confirmation number. With that being said, I'm making my mod/farkle list. Sooo.

To those of you with bikes already, in Canada or Europe, are any of you using any Giant Loop rackless systems? I'm trying to figure out if I should go for the Great Basin or the Coyote saddlebags. I would like to know if you have either and how you feel it works size-wise on the T7. Thanks in advance.
    RPM25 likes this.
  3. Jessejayms

Jessejayms Off Gridder

Oddometer:
    Mosko Moto reckless bags. Made in Washington state... If my preorder t7 goes through, that's what I'm ordering. Look to be among the best quality, with some great features imo.
  4. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    Does a reservation number mean:
    a. you get a bike from the first shipment
    b. You get a bike from some future shipment
    c. who the devil knows
  5. drifter dave

drifter dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the Coyote.
    I cross looped the rear straps through the the rear hooks and tied under the rear fender.
    I test fitted the Great Basin, it will need some sort of rack to run the 3 rear straps to.
    Giant Loop is best of breed.
    Don't forget to add 3m film on the rear panels if you care about the finish.

Attached Files:

6. scridercoach

Oddometer:
    I like Mosko, but I have.. ahem... an in with GL. GL is U.S. made as well.
  7. scridercoach

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Dave. With the rack, do you feel the Great Basin is not too big? Or perhaps the Coyote, too small?
    RPM25 likes this.
  8. Calibre

Calibre Canadian, eh.

Oddometer:
    Lol, I bow to your Photoshop skills. You had me going!

Does anyone have a skid plate they can recommend? I really want linkage coverage, but there are no real reviews of any plates yet. I'm looking at the AXP, Camel, and Outback Motortek.
  9. ProLeisure

ProLeisure Gimme shelter... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I too am trying to stay optimistic that I’ll be getting a T7 this first round and I’m starting to plan on what accessories I’ll be getting for the bike.

I’ve been looking into possible soft luggage solutions as well and the Giant Loop Great Basin was on my short list, but I’m now more interested in their Siskiyou Panniers. I don’t care for the look of them that much, but I think they’d be more functional, keeping the weight low on the bike and coupled with some sort of short side racks like these I think they’d work well:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/oz-yamaha-tenere-700-owners-association.1406098/page-61#post-40102825

I have the Mosko Moto Reckless 80 (v2) as well as their Reckless 40. Mosko makes fantastic, high quality moto luggage solutions, but often times I’m finding their Reckless solutions overkill for my needs. That and there’s a lot of straps to manage and keep track of which for me gets kind of old after several days of camping.

Also, with the Mosko setups I find myself having to play a bit of Tetris every time I pack my things up with certain things having to go certain places. For the way I'm learning how I like to pack I think the Siskiyou Panniers will allow me to more easily to pack-up and go.

I currently camp off a WR250R (a not so great pic), and the seat real-estate of the WR looks somewhat similar to the Tenere 700. My concern with the Great Basin, if packed full, is that you lose a lot of your rear seat space and riding off-road that comes into play. Much more than I thought it would. Coupled with a backpack you lose a lot of ability to adjust your riding position.
    Bike Guy and scridercoach like this.
  10. scridercoach

Oddometer:
    Good insight, thank you.

I think the Mosko are great kit, but honestly for their price point absolutely should be.

The GL comparable gear is pretty close in my opinion. I think for their price point, they hold their own.
  11. uncle m

uncle m Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also decided to try the Siskiyou's instead of the Great Basin, mainly to keep weight and volume low and the back of the seat less cluttered for my butt on the downhills. I've been using Wolfman Rocky Mtn panniers on Rally Raid soft luggage rack on my 690 Enduro for the same reasons, but the back end was a bit wider than what was ideal. This setup on the T7 should work really well. May go with Adventure Spec side rack but haven't got the Siskiyou's yet so not sure how they'll sit related to exhaust and whether the rack will be needed.
    ProLeisure likes this.
  12. scridercoach

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of the siskiyou setup, but I see a little more functionality with the Great Basin/Coyote type setup, at least for me. Heavy stuff can sit low enough in the legs, I think. Plus, the beaver tail allows for a bit more flexibility. I’d also be swapping it between a couple bikes, so not needing racks is a plus for me.
    Bike Guy likes this.
  13. Bike Guy

Bike Guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    My personal experience was using the G/L Coyote along with the G/L Rogue. I also had the Possible pouch on each leg of the Coyote. I had zero complaints when riding my 701
    scridercoach likes this.
  14. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if the deposit is refundable if you don't get a reservation slot? If I don't get the T700 I want to buy a 790 and will need the $.
  15. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    You sure?

Mosko chose Vietnam as its producer because of the motorcycle culture that is present there-so many people ride! We can take prototypes directly from our factory outside of Ho Chi Minh City and test them on some awesome roads!
    Brtp4 and O Captain My Captain like this.
  16. bradrh

bradrh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think that's between you and your dealer. It looks like Yamaha was not involved in any preorder before friday.
    eakins likes this.
  17. scridercoach

Oddometer:
    It's my understanding that for pre-order, this is how the deposit worked. Assuming that reservation by buyer and confirmation portion were done correctly by the dealer and it went through, the dealer would be charged $500 out of their parts and accessories account by Yamaha. In turn that's why the instructions to then bring $500 to the dealer (and the phone calls we got to make sure to remind us to do so) were part of the process. This is exactly what the paperwork that my dealer had for the pre-order stated.

So regardless of whether your deposit was put in early or on the 22nd, as long as the process was completed, the dealer was charged. That may have an effect on how hard or long it takes to get your deposit back. Now if you gave a deposit, but know you got skunked, it shouldn't be a real issue to get your deposit back. Especially since I would think most if not all buyers did not complete an actual sales contract. (Nobody had VINs so that should hold true.)

I'd imagine unless your dealer is a real piece of work you should be fine.
    Bike Guy, Bultaco206 and duggram like this.
  18. drifter dave

Oddometer:
    I think they both will work great. If you're like me you'll be camping off the bike. The Coyote will require you to pack really light, OR have your sleeping bag in an extra drybag strapped to the coyote (easy peasy). The Great basin will fit pretty much everything including the sleeping bag, Thermarest, a small stove, tools etc. If I had to choose one I would get the Basin but you'll need that rack to have something to run 3 straps backwards (I have a ADV spec one on order)
    The new Great Basin is also a roll-top: if you're not using all the space you can roll it up tighter/smaller so there's no real downside IMO.
    ProLeisure and scridercoach like this.
  19. scridercoach

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Man!!! That's exactly the answer I was looking for, especially because you are right, I moto-camp. I've done 12 days up to Nova Scotia and back with only my two standard, odd-shaped side cases on a kawi Versys and a large dry bag on the back and been fine, so I'm sure the Great Basin and a couple of add ons will be more than enough. Guess I better start looking at racks..... right after I confirm I'm getting a bike, that is.

Thanks again... :beer
    drifter dave likes this.
  20. drifter dave

Oddometer:
    And yes, as per your previous posts, being able to skip the cost and weight of side racks is awesome. I pack my tools, tubes, tent and stove as low as possible on the bottom/sides. Clothes, sleeping bag and pad go up top (light stuff).
    Benduro and scridercoach like this.