Yamaha T7 TENERE Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by VTbeemer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Stabilo_Boss

Stabilo_Boss Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the link, this is the answer I got from ben on the where it's going to be situated.

"Hi,
    Yes I tried using additional weights for a larger front tank and it was not an option I wanted to follow after that as I did not like how it made the bike feel. Then I looked at the rear and decided similar, that whist it was better than the front it was still not ideal with weight shifting and its still quite high up there. Also it meant that you could not utilise whatever luggage / rack setup you want to, and whilst we have our own one of those on the way I did not want to make it so that you could only use our one as I thought that it was not fair to do it that way.

So........ I ended up in the middle and the weight is as low as possible, handling is superb. As you can imagine this is not the simplest of things to design properly but my view is that it is the best option, I am making the kit "Plug&Play" so whilst its quite involved its going to be really neat and its totally reversible if you ever want to. It retains fuel level on the main display etc etc and the whole thing is no more difficult to fill than how you currently fill up.

Will post up some pictures once I have more of a "production" version ready as at the moment its certainly a case of function over form."

I would assume it's under the seat, but not sure what it will replace... I don't think you can do a RadeGarage ktm 690 style airbox replacement with the T7.
    simmons1 likes this.
  2. texjet

texjet Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA Supporter

Oddometer:
    What about a Giant Loop gas bag? I have a 3 gallon version that I can easily switch between bikes. Don't need to fill it and stows easily when empty. Very cost effective.
    Benduro and ProLeisure like this.
  4. PackinDirt

PackinDirt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did the May 22 at noon registration thing and was, at first, sent a "sorry" email from Yamaha. Then I got an email from the dealer, where my deposit has been patiently waiting for almost a year, saying that she talked to her Yamaha rep and that I am indeed in the first wave of deliveries in June. Stupid system.

So, with any luck at all, I will take possession of a Cermic Ice model with "rally pack" in the next few weeks.

We've waited this long; what's a couple more weeks?

Oh, XR650L (the one in my avatar) but I'm gonna keep it. I have a feeling it won't get ridden much. Might have to sell it for a small woods bike.
  5. wolfbuzz

wolfbuzz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those gas bags seem like a good idea. I do wonder about spilling gas all over the place when you go to fill up your tank. Have you encountered any issues like that or is it actually fairly easy?
  6. duggram

Oddometer:
    I got the optional nozzle which makes it spill free for me. Once on the road I'll guess at when the bag will fit in the tank, empty the bag, roll it up and stow it in a side bag.
    strongleftleg likes this.
  7. wolfbuzz

wolfbuzz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What about the size of the 3 gallon? On a trip can you still find a convenient place to store it full?
  8. boboneleg

boboneleg we can rebuild him.

Oddometer:
    It replaces it, this is mine fitted to the bike. I had to modify the rear slightly as it clashed with my SW Motech rack

IMG_6654.JPEG
    tonyubsdell and Jessejayms like this.
  9. Jessejayms

Jessejayms Off Gridder

Oddometer:
    My xr650l has over 17k, has been an amazing bike over the years. Its been burning oil and had a small loss in power. Plan is to send it off to steve(mcma111) for a full rebuild with a wisco piston, valve work, and the nx750 2nd and 5th gear. Got it almost broken down for shipping. Gonna keep pounding on the xrl locally and a good loaner for when I have friends or family visiting. Providing I'll get my t7 in a timely fashion, I'll be doing the TAT west to east around mid July, and South down the Atlantic coast to Florida and back. Will be traveling with an Africa twin, and should be fun to compare the 2. I'm guessing by September I'll have the highest mile t7 in the states. Anyone else planing any epic summer trips with their new t7?
    Meet@Trudys likes this.
  10. scridercoach

scridercoach Old crusty bast**d

Oddometer:
    I like the GL gas bag concept, but the price kind of puts me off. For half the price you can do a Rotopax. Yes, you can fold up the GL bag and that's convenient, but if you already have a dedicated spot for your rotopax, it doesn't seem like it's anymore in the way when it's empty. Though, I do see the convenience of the 1-gallon bag on a smaller enduro. Certainly not knocking your preference, just my two cents (which ain't worth much!).
  11. duggram

Oddometer:
    I wish I could sell my Rotopax stuff. Too much trouble and they leak after you use them awhile. I have a 1.75 that seals if I use channel locks on them and a 1 gallon that is just worn out and won't seal.
    scridercoach likes this.
  12. scridercoach

scridercoach Old crusty bast**d

Oddometer:
    Fair enough and duly noted.
    duggram likes this.
  13. PackinDirt

PackinDirt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry, off topic, but any chance to talk the TAT and the XR650L. Did the TAT on the Big Pig last year and wouldn't have wanted anything else. It's a '16 with just over 18k on the clock. No issues with power or oil consumption.

Until I actually ride the T7, the XRL is my choice for dual sporting. But I want it for different reasons than the T7. Just like when folks were comparing the 790 and the T7. Different bikes, different purposed, different customer base.

We'll see. I'm 240 lbs. so maybe that purported soft suspension will be the first thing to be modified.
    Jessejayms likes this.
  14. duggram

Oddometer:
    Sorry about the delay, not sure how your post got by me. I've made a few trips with it, like last spring in Baja it was nice to have on remote trails. Full the bag mounts on the rear rack very solid on my 701. There are plenty of sewn in loops to use with straps and there are a few handles for carrying. When in Baja it would get hot during the day and even with only a gallon in the bag it would bloat, but this wasn't a problem. Just a little hot air.
  15. Frankenbuffer

Frankenbuffer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone actually tried fitting the G/L Siskiyou pannier to the T700 without side racks? What’s the interference with muffler like? Is heat shield and/or top rack (e.g. with Adventure Spec minimalist side panel) needed to ensure proper standoff and support? Been combing the forums and threads but no one seems to have a clear answer yet. I want a little more volume than my Wolfman Expedition bags give but also want to eliminate side racks if possible. I don’t want luggage on top of seat other than extra fuel and a small day pack. Otherwise I’d consider the Coyote-style bags.
    ProLeisure likes this.
  16. Stabilo_Boss

Stabilo_Boss Adventurer

Oddometer:

The thread in tenere700.net forum no longer exists... is it me or do other people notice that a there is quite heavy moderation going on over there? I had asked another question and the notifications said that I had an answer but now the thread is gone.
  17. duggram

Oddometer:
    Is there anyone getting a T700 with black wheels that would like to trade for my blue wheels? I'd be glad to travel to make the trade,
  18. uncle m

uncle m Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Frankenbuffer I'm waiting on delivery of Siskiyou's next week, so if no one else responds by then, I should have photos of how they fit rackless. I was planning on using Adv Spec top rack, and thinking their side rack wouldn't push the panniers out very far if rackless didn't work, but the racks are backordered til next month so won't know how/if the combo works.
    ProLeisure likes this.
  19. Stabilo_Boss

Stabilo_Boss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Who is Xxy ?
  20. galenparke

galenparke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I doubt I am close enough to make it worth while, but I wouldnt have a problem trading you if you don't find a better option closer.