Yamaha T7 TENERE Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by VTbeemer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Frankenbuffer

Frankenbuffer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic! Not like I have the bike yet anyway, but it’s coming. Don’t want to get skunked for bags like last summer’s fiasco, when I couldn’t find pannier racks to fit my 2019 AT in time for a trip, because Honda subtly changed the design of the subframe.
  2. Gravis1982

Gravis1982 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is this because they simply do not think it will sell well in the US? The thing about the tenere, is that there is no bike like it. Many people will buy one who would have otherwise bought used or stuck with old faithful. if you look at what people ARE buying, it may not look like people in the US want a tenere. But there are many who apparently do, just not represented in current buyers. They created a new market really, or partially anyway. Now, honda needs to do the same with the 450L Rally.
    Benduro and Meet@Trudys like this.
  3. janhama

janhama Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got this today. A recall on the OE HD bash plate. Rear brake pedal hitting the bash plate and not braking.

[​IMG]
  4. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    Manufacturers have been burned by people expressing lots of enthusiasm for a new model, then sitting on their hands waiting for pricing drops once the bikes are on the showroom floor. You still hear a bit of that in this thread.
  5. PackinDirt

PackinDirt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Their loss. If there's a shortage, then the sale price will stay up. Whatever. Just another gimmick.

On rackless luggage: I purchased a SWMotech 700 rear bag from Twisted Throttle that I'm hoping will mount better to the T7 than it did on my XR650L (on which it looked stupid and didn't fit well). Otherwise, it's going onto the "for sale" page.

Although very expensive, the Mosko Moto Reckless 80 is a great system that a friend of mine has used.

On the HD skid plate recall: Do you think a little "modification" would solve the brake pedal clearance issue?
  6. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA Supporter

Oddometer:
    PM sent.
  7. wolfbuzz

wolfbuzz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered my T700 with the Touring Pack. The panniers seem adequate, but comparing the crash bars to third party options they don't seem to protect as much. Do you all think the Touratech skid plate and Crash Bars are pretty good? The designs appear pretty strong to me.
  8. sbeck09

sbeck09 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think the best skid plate is from Camel ADV known as the "Gut Guard." It specifically protects the rear suspension linkage whereas most other options leave it exposed. Even if you don't plan to be off road much, covering even helps reduce the amount of dirt and road grime blasted directly onto those bearings.

For crashbars, I'm terribly underwhelmed by everything. The Touratech being a 2 part design makes me suspect that you have to pay more to have full protection and as a result the upper section lacks triangulation to the frame. If the upper bars are built right they will also reduce the risk of engine damage which would allow less tubing therefore less weight while still being strong.

But I'm extremely picky so take what i say with a grain of salt.
  9. wolfbuzz

Oddometer:
    Is the suspension linkage something our European brothers have had issues with when offroad?
  10. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA Supporter

Oddometer:
    I disagree. The Yamaha bars look like they protect more than the lower Tourtech bars which cost about $660 with the uppers. However I'd bet the Tourtech bars together protect a lot and they do look good.
  11. wolfbuzz

Oddometer:
    Yeah with the uppers and lowers it looks to guard quite a lot.
    duggram likes this.
  12. sbeck09

sbeck09 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not that I have seen, but other bikes with similar suspension setups have proven it can be vulnerable. Plus why not preemptively protect it? Camel ADV showed in a photo of their bike sitting on a log and I can see the value in protecting that area.
  13. ProLeisure

ProLeisure Gimme shelter... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just providing an update from my post last Saturday.

On Tuesday 5/26, per Marco’s request I called him back at the dealership at 10:30 AM to get the claim number for my order. Marco said he’d have to look it up, but would text the claim number information to me later that day. I never received a text from him. In fact, throughout all of this he never once called me back.

On the afternoon of Wednesday, 5/27, a person named Gee (sp? Pronounced like the letter ‘G’), called me. Gee said he was looking into finding my claim number and would call me back later that day, or the next. Gee was friendly during our conversation and started to rant on what a huge cluster F this whole rollout experience had been for their dealership and that they were dealing with multiple customers that were upset and disgusted by the whole T7 ordering experience.

I didn’t hear back from Gee until Thursday at 6:00PM PST. He left a voicemail stating he had some information for me and would call me back tomorrow morning (Friday), around 9:30 AM and if he didn’t to give him a call.

5/29 (Friday): At 10:30 AM I gave Gee a call. He said he’d talked to his rep yesterday and the rep stated I had a bike, the rep just didn’t know if it was the Competition White color, which was my first choice, or the black one. I said I didn’t choose the black one as my 2nd choice, I had chosen the Ceramic Ice color. After a long silence on the phone, Gee said he hoped to get more information from the rep later today, but if that didn’t happen, to check back in next Tuesday.

So, that’s where it stands now. I have to say I’m genuinely impressed with what an incredibly horrible job Yamaha corporate has done rolling out this bike in the States as well as the terrible lack of communication I’ve received from the dealership (Roseville Motorsports), I chose to work with.

Happy Friday.
    Benduro, Bike Guy and eakins like this.
  14. sbeck09

sbeck09 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Geez I'm sorry that has been your experience! I'd be pretty frustrated too.

That being said, I do kinda have to say this falls primarily on the dealer. Almost all of us got caught in system crash that delayed ordering by over an hour...me included. But by the close of business that same day my dealer was able to verify my inclusion in this round with my claim form and number. Yamaha even admitted this didn't exactly go as they had hoped. But the system did work and a reasonably competent dealer would be able to verify either way. The fact that your dealer has not had solid follow up is a big signal that they aren't on top of this. Yamaha can't control that.

I hope you can get clarification soon either way. Not knowing anything is the worst.
    Benduro and ProLeisure like this.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    The AXP one has that feature too.
    Camel problem uses the same material down their that AXP build the whole plate with. I have a AXP on my WR and have beat the shit out of it...no issues.
    Benduro, Calibre and Meet@Trudys like this.
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    This process has really amplified poor dealerships for sure.

After you get you bike go talk to the owner and manager together and nicely but firmly explain that.

Say the system was flawed but the dealership's subsequent performance was sub-par and you're not sure you'll ever but here again or recommend to anyone else.

Dealers/managers need to hear to or they will never change.
    ProLeisure likes this.
  17. ProLeisure

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I will be doing just that. I will also be sharing my experience with others outside of this forum.

BTW, when you call the dealership and are put on hold, sometimes waiting for over 10+ minutes for someone to pick up, you get to listen to their recorded message where they continually mention how their dealership is a multiple ‘Pro Yamaha Platinum Award’ winner and also how they continue to receive one of the ‘highest CSI ratings in the industry’. Ugh. Whatever.
  18. sbeck09

sbeck09 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ha! I think I'm awesome, but all my ex-girlfriends say I'm an asshole. Same thing.

I'm more interested in what their current/past customers have to say. That was a huge deciding factor for me in what dealer I picked. I picked a store double the distance of the local large chain from me because the large chain has a bad reputation.
    Benduro and ProLeisure like this.
  19. Frankenbuffer

Frankenbuffer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My dealer in Ottawa just called and said my bike was delivered unexpectedly today. He was as puzzled as me throughout the whole order process. No info from Yamaha Canada. In any case, they’re rushing to put it together now and I pick it up tomorrow. Woo-hoo! Ceramic Ice to match my WR250R.
  20. ProLeisure

Oddometer:
    Granted, I’ve only bought one bike from this dealership (Roseville Motorsports), in the past, a WR250R and that was 7 years ago, but it was a straightforward and friendly experience. It was the deciding factor as to why I chose to go with them again even though there are two dealerships that are 45+ miles closer. However, those dealerships had mediocre online reviews and I figured I’d go with my known, past experience. I regret that decision now.
    Benduro likes this.