Yamaha T7 TENERE Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by VTbeemer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    No, I think he's probably right. The relationship between the swing arm, the swing arm pivot point and the chain pull is a common design criteria in sport bikes, so I'd imagine it is in the dirt... perhaps even more so. I once got into a discussion about that on a sport bike forum where i could not convince anyone, even though my source was a book written by the manufacturer.
    Benduro likes this.
  2. goldentaco

goldentaco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think this is more like how it happened. F9 stating Yamaha intended for these results. I don't buy that. I think Yamaha had the platform ( CP2) needed to make all the necessary adjustments to meet other design targets and those resulted in some unintended benefits. Only Yamaha knows for sure.

J
  3. tokyo

tokyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd recommend buying a used Suzuki VanVan and playing around with it for few months. If you take care of it should be able to get out of it what you bought it for, or pretty close.

Street legal, FI, Low seat, reliable, comfortable and non-intimidating for <60mph mile stuff. Should be a pretty low risk way of seeing if dirt is something you like.
    Hannda likes this.
  4. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone that thinks these design elements just happened by chance, as you suggest, does not have a clue as to what is involved with designing and building a new motorcycle. NONE of these features are coincidence.
    Benduro, dmottv, DORTx2 and 6 others like this.
  5. Toei

Toei Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are a lot of variables that are part of the suspension + drivetrain kinematics equation. The position of the countershaft sprocket on the engine is just one of many. If Yamaha found that position favorable when engineering the anti-squat properties that they wanted then I put that down to good fortune. The engineers still had a lot of work to do from there - the anti-squat didn't just happen.

Yes I get that Ryan somewhat inferred that Yamaha had positioned the countershaft on the engine for that purpose. Of course, they did have to position the countershaft in space by positioning the whole engine in relation to the rear suspension. So I would say Ryan's inference was half-right.
    MillennialFalcon and Peter1969 like this.
  6. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    I think these things go part way to show how little we actuallly know about motorocycle design compared to what we might think we know, specs sheets only give one picture.

another case in point is the wheel base, and I have written about this before.
    Before I got the bike I said I know it probably won't turn that well but it should it be nice and stable on highway as its got the longest wheel base of any medium or even large ADV bike on the market, yet once I got it I couldnt have been more wrong, and as commented by so mnay, not only is it highway stable but it turns fantastic on the trail, still stumped how they get that.

not a perfect bike but any means but still a great bike.

Peter1969 likes this.
  7. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:
    Greetings,

I just watched the Fortnite video.

I feel a lot different about the MC.

I take it all back that she is just a lifted street bike.

___
    Have a great summer/winter
  8. goldentaco

goldentaco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Benduro likes this.
  9. grego10r

grego10r Adventurer

Oddometer:
    bikes will be here late october end of story
    Kyouma likes this.
  10. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    A new motorcycle around an existing and unchanged engine. What manufacturer has ever boasted about "anti-squat features"? Not to mention Yamaha isn't doing this for the T7. But OK, let's start criticizing other bikes for how low their countershaft sprockets are...don't the other mfgs know even about anti-squat!? Yeah I bet the 790's anti-squat features are so sub-par :fpalm
    albacore likes this.
  11. Hakon92

Hakon92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have actually been looking at the CB 500x. It seems like a very fun bike, and i have test ridden a cb 500f and liked it. The rally raid kit looks like it could get the cb 500x preforming very well indeed. But with suspension bash plate osv. this bike gets expensiv quick.

I would mainly be using it for commuting to work, som road trips and some gravel/dirt trips.

Since i live in a country where offroad is illegal, i don think there will be a lot of singletrack, but you never know :)

Kited out with the essencials it would cost me about 100k NOK= 10k dollars (slightly used bike) - The tenere costs 14k dollars out of the dealership new

What if i get super in to it and get bored by the honda????????????
  12. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agree. I think Fortnine was a bit over the top. I'm no engineer and I'm sure there are a lot of factors that play into the "Anti-Squat" he gushes on about however I have always been under the impression that the biggest factor is the swingarm angle. A flatter swingarm angle tends to not drive the tire down (anti-squat) under acceleration as much as one with a higher angle.

*shrug* whadda I know, I think I picked that up off a box of Cheerios.
  13. Jetdr21

Jetdr21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Early Christmas present, maybe...:imaposer
  14. wolfbuzz

wolfbuzz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So for those of us that did not get lucky with the first wave of initial bikes, it sounds like we're all waiting for the same shipment from Japan. I am trying to envision the timeline, and it really does seem like we should have had a real delivery date by now. What have you guys heard from your dealer?
  15. GooF2

GooF2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was told I could have mine by end of next week (at the dealer).
    goldentaco likes this.
  16. Toei

Toei Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Word from three different dealers: we have no idea. They didn’t even know for sure when they would be able to place orders for stock (non-PDP orders).
  17. wolfbuzz

wolfbuzz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My dealer just told me they've received confirmation of a 16th and 20th of July delivery; one of those bikes is mine.
  18. nordic1

nordic1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My dealer has been great with communication, although I'm patient, it's not what I want to hear. The expected shipment date from Yamaha has changed multiple times: June 22, June 30, July 9, now July 16.
    Benduro likes this.
  19. MzunguMoto

MzunguMoto rode 15 countries, 180 more to go

Oddometer:
    I love all these options, but a dual spark (2004-2007 in most places) BMW F650GS Dakar is the bulletproof bike to learn on. I’ve had two and did 15 countries on ‘em before even beginning to understand how much of what I wanted to do next was me or the machine. Service the water pump gears every ~20k miles and you can literally shoot the Rotax motor with a rifle and it’ll still take you wherever you want to go. Just don’t try to turn in sand, especially with sht loads of luggage.

oh, and all else being equal, learn to ride dirt first preferably on a dirt bike. Learn to crash. Learn to fall. Learn why you wear protection and where it matters most. Bigger, heavier bikes at faster speeds just make those fundamentals even more important - like 10x so - quickly.
    Benduro, Kyouma and ScorpionT16 like this.
  20. MzunguMoto

MzunguMoto rode 15 countries, 180 more to go

Oddometer:
    They spent four fcking years between T7 (where T stands for tease) concept and delivering on the Goldilocks in the USA.

I sure as sht hope it isn’t all a happy accident. I mean, are we here on earth as a happy accident and this statement is just an extension of that belief? It’s hard to make a bike work the way this one does out of the box, even if a few things could (as always) be better.

...just my $0.02 and all that
    Benduro likes this.