Yamaha T7 TENERE Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by VTbeemer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. MzunguMoto

MzunguMoto rode 15 countries, 180 more to go

Oddometer:
    dude, let’s look at two hypotheses for a second:

(1) Yamaha engineers are just average blokes, throwing a few components together and randomly deciding the geometry of their most hotly anticipated motorcycle in a decade or two AND their marketing department is world class, perfectly in tune with hype / sales / delivery cycle on a global basis, tweaked for each end market

-OR-

(2) Yamaha engineering solved a tough Goldilocks problem at a $10k price point, but isn’t super eager to tell everyone else how they did it AND their marketing team is not only useless, but quite possibly detrimental to the global ambitions of the bike...

...sorry, but I put my money on their engineers having a clue over their marketing / sales / business folks 100:1 odds.
  2. MzunguMoto

Oddometer:
    whys isn’t there a “don’t like” button?
    Benduro and Peter1969 like this.
  3. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed.

The CP2 was a cost savings wet sump FZ-07 design engine that had the rear shock mount to an aluminum cast engine housing.
    0D775B9A-76CA-41D1-B290-02663E9FED46.jpeg

If it was really designed for off road riding, it would have been a dry sump design to allow mounting the engine lower to lower the CG. Fortunately, the wet sump design improved traction due to anti-squat :-)

IMO, The CP2 was a much better engine than they had originally designed . . . and works awesome in the T7.

787EC467-4B2B-402C-A5A0-04C815FA26B5.jpeg

https://www.mcnews.com.au/tenere-700-talk-with-takushiro-shiraishi-project-leader/
    Trev: When the MT-07 was first released here four or five years ago, during the launch, at the very first stop I asked Sean Goldhawk ‘when is the adventure bike was coming..?’ As the engine seemed to lend itself to that application, was the engine originally designed with adventure envisaged in its future?

Shiraishi-san: Honestly speaking, no. At the beginning of MT-07 development we didn’t consider, but at the same time we already noticed that this engine is so good during our development on the MT-07, that we then also thought about off-road usage, so at that time we developed some idea to develop an off-road model using the MT-07 engine, because of the character and the torque.
  4. MzunguMoto

Oddometer:
    What’s the bottom picture?
  5. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Cruise control
    There is: :csm
  6. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    The fact that it is an existing engine is irrelevant. What really matters is engine placement to help get a good performing chassis. It is a completely new frame and the engine placement is key as to how the bike performs. It was designed, tested, and tweaked and tested and tweaked again until they had everything the way they wanted it. It is no accident that the bike works as well as it does. It was good design followed by plenty of testing and refinement rather than coincidence.
  7. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    I expect my bike to arrive with special paint commemorating the 20th Anniversary model of the T7.

Bigfoot may be found first.
  8. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bigfoot?
    His name is Daryl :)
    scridercoach and BaldKnob like this.
  9. Bobbles

Bobbles Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. gone2seed

gone2seed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    shim under bucket? What is the lash and interval?
    Jeff
  11. MzunguMoto

Oddometer:
    Speaking of such questions... is there a PDF service manual floating around yet, or folks know where to get one?
  12. scridercoach

scridercoach Old crusty bast**d

Oddometer:
    At this point, I'm considering any summer plans I had with my T7 and taking my kid on his new to him KLR a wash. Which really sucks. I found a mint lightly used KLR for him, his first real street-legal bike, and the plan was to hit the MABDR and/or the NEBDR before the end of summer. Now there's no way to count on that happening.

So frustrating.
    Benduro and gone2seed like this.
  13. gone2seed

gone2seed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You could always take him fishing?
    Happy 4th of July!
  14. MzunguMoto

Oddometer:
    I highly recommend father son motorcycle camping & fishing trips... rent or borrow a bike? Whatever the cost, better than canceling.
  15. JPbikepilot

JPbikepilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gentlemen (Ladies too),

There's a new 2021 T-700 in my garage and it needs some accessories. I bought it to replace my old BDR bike, a 2003 BMW Dakar. After 250 mile on the T700 (50 off-road), I'm delighted with my purchase. I've previously out-fitted several bikes for week long BDR trips and I'm itching to start on this one. I know the inmates here are the real experts on the T-700. There are 818 pages here and I'm not sure I want to read them all right now. I'm asking for your advice on the accessories I'm considering below:

a. Barkbuster VPS ($136) vs Touratech Handguards ($140 +$35 for wind deflectors) vs Acerbis
    b. GPS mounting position. On the handlebar clamps or above the instrument panel?
    c. Brackets for mounting my Garmin Montana charging cradle to either position suggested above..
    d. Crashbars. Yamaha OEM vs Touratech vs SW-MoTech or others?
    e. Skidplate. Yamaha Rally vs Touratech Rallyeform vs Touratech Expedition vs SW-MoTech
    f. Centerstand. Yamaha OEM vs SW-MoTech vs H&B (haven't found a supplier in the US yet)
    g. Pannier racks. I have Musko Moto Back Country 35s from my old BMW Dakar. I like the concept of removable racks like the SW-MoTech Pro racks. Does anyone have experience with these? Will my Mosko Moto wedges work with the SW MoTeck Pro racks? Any other recommendations?
    h. Tidy Tail. The pimple on the T700 is the tail light / license bracket and giant turn signals. Are there other alternatives besides the Tidy Tail? Does anyone know if the Tidy Tail interferes with the back brace of the pannier racks?
    i. LED turn signals. Yamaha accessories or fleabay?
    j. Plastic engine covers. Necessary? Looks like R&G Racing and GB Racing in Great Britain make some nice ones.
    k. Heated handgrips. Yamaha accessories or Koso Apollo or HeaterZ?
    l. Tankbags. Any recommendations?
    m. Tool kit containers. Anybody got good ideas for a small box under the seat. What about a bolt on toolbox?
    n. Comfy seat. The OEM seat works for me for about an hour. After that, my old butt needs a break. Perhaps with time the OEM seat may "break in." I had a Seat Concepts kit on my Dakar and once rode it 475 miles one day. I can't see doing that on the OEM seat. Any suggestions?

I'd certainly appreciate any recommendations you might have. I apologize for hijacking this thread but I think most new owners would be happy to read your recommendations. Thanks in advance!

Cheers
  16. twinrider

Oddometer:
    You might want to check if Seat Concepts would be interested in using your seat for R&D in return for a freebie.
    Benduro likes this.
  17. JPbikepilot

JPbikepilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks twinrider. I'll give them a call.
  18. SkipD

SkipD That looks stickey

Oddometer:
    Ok so I have to ask, what makes a model that was released in 2019 and you purchased in 2020 a 2021 T-700? Has something gone wrong with the space time continuum.
  19. twinrider

Oddometer:
    That's just how they're labeled in the US. Fake news! :rofl
  20. MzunguMoto

Oddometer:

I’ve owned a couple twin spark BMW Dakars and looks like we’ve probably kitted those bikes out similarly and would share preferences for T7 parts. Well I can tell you what I’m planning:

a. Handguards - Barkbuster VPS With side protection
    b. GPS mounting -Iphone mounted on tankbag
    c. Charging - add 2 USB socket to RHS cockpit on existing accessories circuit upgraded to 3-5A and then wire existing 12V socket directly to battery with 10a fuse.
    d. Crashbars Yamaha OEM (likely) or SW-MoTech or others based on availability, begrudgingly giving up on importing HEED from Poland during pandemic
    e. Skidplate - AXP Racing (pending local distribution)
    f. Centerstand - Yamaha OEM (at dealer) or SW-MoTech (good experience on Dakar), not H&B (bent on Urban GS) all depending on what you can get on the time line you need it
    g. Pannier racks - grab Adventure spec side racks and an Endurostan setup with Blizzards and a Tornado too bag, or Giant Loop Big Basin, or Mosko Reckless 40-80L... consider Yamaha OEM, adventure spec or HEED rear rack
    h. Tidy Tail - I may do some manscaping myself back there in the near term, but I hope there are options in ~3-6 months
    i. LED turn signals - eBay specials
    j. Plastic engine covers - look at partzilla pricing on the actual case (use FZ07 for now) before you decide, I’m still debating after recently experiencing the joys of JB Quick on an aluminum engine casing weeping oil
    k. Heated handgrips - went OEM simply because I didn’t like the way my Oxford install turned out aesthetically on my FZ-07 and pricing was like $30 different
    l. Tankbags - Mosko Nomad with iPhone case thingy
    m. Tool kit containers - stuff a tool roll in luggage or strap onto it low and to the center as I don’t think the one you’d need will fit under the seat, or learn to love the look of the Rally Raid solution
    n. Comfy seat - try Rally Seat if you have the inseam (some reviews are making me think about cancelling, as would be tallest bike I’ve owned), consider getting stock one redone if it doesn’t break in a bit and then using the T7Rally part that joins the two

others on my list:
    o. Pegs - switched to pivot pegz for comfort and variety of footwear acceptability
    p. Throttle lock - likely going with KAOKO once I find the right part
    q. instrument cluster screen protector - Amazon
    r. windscreen - will likely cut stock one down
    s. highway pegs - I hate that I love these things
    t. Tubeless - either tubliss system / similar or Woody’s wheels
    u. graphics - deciding between $210 graphics kit and/or 3M vinyl film protection

probably more to come ;-)