Yamaha T7 TENERE Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by VTbeemer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been interested in a T7 for awhile but all the hype time has me reconsidering what I really need a bike like that to do...

I've owned a couple of V-Stroms and while yes it is a budget bike it actually does what I need it to do quite well. Spent a week last fall in CO with a couple of 790's and a 650 GS. The GS broke down twice.. never really recovered from the second breakdown.

Swapped out and rode the 790s a couple of times and was a bit disappointed. Good motor.. could use a bit more bottom end. Fun bike in the dirt, probably the funnest big dirt bike I have ridden. But it felt ponderous on the twisties and just not as nimble as my lowly WeeStrom on pavement. Left them behind on a couple of twisty roads near Dinosaur National Monument in our Utah section. But I suspect in that case both riders only had a few weeks on their new 790's whereas I had about 10 years and close to 100,000 miles on my Stroms. I am not meaning to bash the 790s or the T7, they are nice machines, but the whole thing made me wonder what do I want a bike like that to do.

In my case the Strom covers a lot of long distance riding along with being my commuter. I've had it out on some rides with the big boys one their Tigers, AT's, 1090's, and 790's. I was able to go everywhere they went but at a slower pace - in part due to the limited suspension but also now in my 60's I just don't care to blast down a dirt road since I know if something bad happens that it is a lot more likely to leave a mark as oppose to when I was 30 or 40. The reality is while those rides were fun the Strom was really the wrong bike for that ride - I should have ridden my WR250R and I would have had a lot more fun.

So looking back on the CO trip, my past rides on my Strom, and the time from the delay in the T7 launch I was afforded the time to honestly evaluate what I would want a 400+ lb ADV bike do for me and I pretty much came back to the Strom. 5.3 gallon tank, 60 mpg when I am not pushing it at Interstate speeds, rudimentary but comfortable suspension, good luggage carrying capacity, never have to worry about some one stealing it, very reliable bike - push the button and it starts, ability to surprise new riders on Sport bikes, and it is paid for... lol.

I am still interested in the T7 and maybe will look at it again in the future assuming I like how they ride - my only comparison for the T7 is a used FZ07 (MT07) I rode a year or so ago. I was not impressed with the motor - a lot of vibration coming through the bars even with rubber mounts. After talking to some other FZ07 owners I am pretty convinced that there must have been some thing wrong with that bike based on how smooth they say their bikes run.

Like you said, to each their own. But if you really want to find the right bike for you then be honest about how you are going to use it.
    MeefZah, Hannda, lithodave and 2 others like this.
  2. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    Calling a V-strom "a great motor surrounded in pure garbage" is almost heresy here on ADVRider, completely ignorant of how the V-strom is, across the years and iterations, the most popular Japanese twin on this forum and probably the highest selling overall model in the US. Sure the first gens lacked the refinements of the newer generation, but without question 9/10 motorcyclist who spend any time on pavement could find plenty of fun on a brand new or even used 650 or 1000 despite all the "pure garbage" :dunno
    MeefZah, Snowbird and DORTx2 like this.
  3. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well he does have a point... when I ride with my friends who have BMWs to the coffee shops my Strom does not get as much attention from the other 'high end' bike owners. LOL

Reminds me of a story another Strom owner told me when he just couldn't sell his old Strom after many many years of riding. So he decided he would just park it out in the street with the keys in it and wait for some one to take it. He was a bit disappointed when the evening hit and his bike was still sitting in front of his house.

When he woke up in the morning he was shocked! Some one parked another Strom next to his with the keys in it as well!

Hey if you like riding an inexpensive all around good bike they are hard to beat!
  4. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    heck i dunno seems like a herder edged better speced version of the t7 ...but not for me
  5. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the market right now for a mid-size, soft-core adventure bike and this post echoes my thought process at the moment. I owned a last-gen Strom for several years and it was a nice bike, especially well-suited to backwoods adventures on forest service roads and tight paved roads. In addition to what has been said, the 650 Strom has the advantages of a really roomy cockpit (vs the CB500X) and tubeless tires (vs. the T7)..... I really don't want to regress to tubes and I'm mistrustful of aftermarket spoke sealing systems. All in all, the 650 Strom is just a great all-around nice package that isn't the best in anything, but is pretty darn good at everything.

- Mark
    MeefZah likes this.
  6. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why not an MT-07 then? I have a friend with both the Strom and CB500. He complains about the weight of the Strom. I suggest the MT-07 to him because it's lighter than both and has like 20 more HP than the honda. In fact, I gave the MT-07 a lot of thought before deciding on the T700. Just a thought.
  7. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    i guess im well placed here ive had two vee stroms a dl1000 and a dl650 ...p prefered the 650 and kept it 14 years with sero problems ...yes you read that right

however ...the vee stroms are pure road bikes and probably the least suited of all the so called adventure bikes out there to anything but a fireroad ... consumte mile eater nice handling and good all round egg but anything other than road is a non starter

the sv 650 engione is a classic motor really good ..but the cp2 engine honesly has it beaten hands down .. the king is dead long live the king:hmmmmm
    .....id say given the power weight ratios it performs nearer to the dl1000 than the dl650 ..the cp2 engine is a peach and really does top the old but great sv unit and when it comes to tractability the 1000 strom is light years behind

theres absalutly no doubt that for anyone that will never see a dirt road the t7 is a better bike than the aging vee strom and for folks who like a dabble in the dirty stuff its on a totally different level alltogether ..which in fairness isnt that difficult

i aint going to go on and list why the t7 is better off road ..but anyone who rides one and simply stands on the footpegs will know imidiatly that it was built with a different breif alltogether

now theres nowt wrong with the stroms i like em but time has moved on and the stroms havnt ..i always had a 2nd bike alongside the strom for adv type rides and nothing inspired me even to attept to make the wee strom work for them type of rides ....you would need a helicopter and set of flares for what are at times pretty easy trails

i would honestly say that the t7 is a way better bike than the wee strom overall and so it should be ,,,,
    suzuki really do need to haul themselves into the 21st century ..they cant keep making over the same old stuff forever
    Johnnyboxer, Bike Guy and MzunguMoto like this.
  8. MzunguMoto

MzunguMoto rode 15 countries, 180 more to go

Oddometer:
    The details of our signatures don’t show on mobile, so I’ll assume some of the challenges and responses have to do with that.

Here is my decathalon on two wheels:
    1. 2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
    2. 2018 BMW r9T Urban GS (sold, but...)
    3. 2015 Yamaha FZ-07 (for sale?)
    4. 2013 BMW R1200GS Adventure (CA - sold)
    5. 2005 BMW F650GS Dakar (CA - sold)
    6. 2004 BMW F650GS Dakar (ZA - sold)
    7. 2004 KTM LC4 Supermoto Prestige (ZA - sold)
    8. 2005 Suzuki SV650 (DC - totaled)
    9. 2004 Honda Goldwing (CA - sold)
    10. 1972 Honda Trail 70 (CA - donated)

Also, I want to be very clear what the T7’s mission is for ME as I plan to use it: to cross border to border another 180+ countries (if/when pandemic subsides and assuming we’re all still here).

For me that means:

1. traffic beyond the use case encompassing commuting
    2. normal transportation around town and up to highway speeds
    3. comfortable enough at freeway speeds to support an iron butt while avoiding baboon butt for the rider
    4. ability to handle roads of all types - being as nimble fully loaded on tarmac as when it ends
    5. 200+ mile range with aspirational fully loaded bike weight (minus rider and his/her gear) of 500lbs, but realistically 550lbs if you include accessories. luggage a few too many other things... let’s see!
    I own an FZ07 as a replacement for my SV650 I totaled after ~50k miles. I wanted to use a DL650 to get into adventure riding (only recently learned about making them skinny), but a motorcycle mentor sold me on the dual spark BMW Dakar and away I went through 15 countries on those. I’ve had a GSA and a heavily modified Urban GS that I could never get light enough. I’ve had two KTMs and I didn’t enjoy working on them.

The T7 is the best option out of the box for my mission... what’s your bike’s mission?
  9. Jessejayms

Jessejayms Off Gridder

Oddometer:
    This thread is getting way off track with worthless information on theoretical comparison of the t7 with every other bike. But then again, maybe I should be on the t7 owners thread, instead of listening to the trash talking.
  10. MzunguMoto

Oddometer:
    :pope

11. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nothing wrong with being honest with oneself. Lots of folks buy the bike they think they want, for the riding they think they'll do, and sell it with less than 10 honest days of riding on them.

It sounds like a Versys 650 could suit you nicely as well. A buddy of mine rides his anywhere from freeway to mild two track. Loves it.
    Maxwell00 likes this.
  12. duggram

Oddometer:
    Right on! They need to go start their own blowhard thread. I'd like to get back to what owners have to say about what they're doing with their T700.
    socially stunted likes this.
  13. MzunguMoto

Oddometer:
  14. duggram

Oddometer:
  15. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    My mission with this bike is to do many poppa wheelies.
    Benduro, Baggey22 and kvango like this.
  16. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have a T7. You don't need any input from the speculation thread. Go do something awesome with it and report! ;)
    Hannda likes this.
  17. MzunguMoto

Oddometer:
  18. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    Bitingdog likes this.
  19. MzunguMoto

Oddometer:
    Bitingdog likes this.
  20. ProLeisure

ProLeisure Gimme shelter... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I own a WR250R and I agree, that thread is monstrous and contains a lot of non-WR250R related posts. However, it also contains a wealth of information and has been really helpful with mod recommendations, general issues, etc.

To search it, or any other large thread here on advrider.com I do the following: In the Google search bar I put the word 'site:' (followed by a colon), the thread link, delete the page number(s) and enter the phrase I'm looking for. In the example below the term is 'tubliss'

site: advrider.com/f/threads/yamaha-wr250r-mega-thread.329337/tubliss

It's not ideal, but it does work and allows you to more easily search a specific thread for a specific term. It's a variation of this:

https://time.com/9922/quick-tech-trick-how-to-search-a-specific-site-with-google/

EDIT: I see you referenced the 'other' WR250R thread. Aside from banter entertainment, that thread is pretty useless. The WR250R Mega Thread is much more helpful and focused on the actual bike.
    ACR, Vikingtazz, Bitingdog and 2 others like this.