Yamaha T7 TENERE Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by VTbeemer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Jessejayms

Jessejayms Off Gridder

Oddometer:
    Got a 09 klx450r, I would be stoked to get half that many miles. Unfortunately she's been eating some oil, probably gonna need a rebuild soon
    Benduro likes this.
  2. sedwards

sedwards Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just passed on my T7 order. If you just got a call from RideNow Austin to come pick up your bike, you're welcome!

Looked good though! Maybe next year..... Considering I already have a box of accessories in my garage, I'd better get one!
    t7.jpg
  3. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    Deposit made about an hour ago.
    Benduro likes this.
  4. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's a Kawasaki guy doing to the T7!? I'd passed too I bet he's trying to make it into a new KLR!
  5. sedwards

sedwards Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He said he was looking for the Doohickey! I ran as fast as I could!
  6. Benduro

Benduro These are my dress clothes Supporter

Oddometer:
    500 mile day today. This thing is a weapon in tight twisties. Two roads today that I'm sure I've never ridden faster, even on bikes with twice the horsepower and less weight.

This thing is just so nimble. Transitions lightning fast from full lean one side to the other. Feels effortless, throwing it around when it gets tight.

And I don't know what happened to some other owner's suspensions. Mine is great. Maybe I lucked out with oil height in my forks. With the preload cranked on the stock spring, the rear shock feels pretty damn good already.

I haven't even installed my rally raid 90nm spring yet.
    gonridn, bmac and twinrider like this.
  7. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    From the company that swears the bike is factory sprung for 165 lb Japanese riders. :deal
    Benduro likes this.
  8. Benduro

Oddometer:
    I know.

I was being proactive last time up in Alaska, ordering stuff because I know shipping is mostly fucked right now, and I didn't want to come home, get my bike, ride it, then go back to work and have all the stuff I ordered show up for it after I went back to work!

The spring, I probably didn't need.

I'll fit it and ride it to see, but damn. This bike feels 90% there, stock.

I couldn't order the Adventure Spec skidplate because they were out of stock, but I found that Procycle up in Oregon had them in stock! Mine will be here in a couple days.

The Adventure Spec top plate/rear rack was ordered too, but still waiting as it was ordered from AS and I don't think they anticipated demand.

That's pretty much all I'm doing.
    twinrider likes this.
  9. goldentaco

goldentaco Been here awhile

Oddometer:

So this is a crosspost from Temere700.net

I was concerned by all the UK and AUS guys having to crank up the preload just to get the sag right...and many of them were a good 20lbs lighter than me. I'm 6'3" 240 in all my gear. Just checked my rear sag is 60mm with 13 or 14 clicks out from full preload. One detail I saw on a good video showing how to measure rear sag is to make sure you measure from a point on the same arc as the swingarm to axel distance.

Reason I mention this is it may account for a variation in owners either not being able to get the rider sag right and some that are able to. Granted, it's not ideal to achieve that via half your available preload.

There's evidence in a CycleNews article by journos who tested both Euro and USA spec bikes and noted there ARE some minor suspension differences between the two. I can't confirm this other than My clickers do provide adjustment as i expected vs the Euro's which I have read reports that they aren't as useful. I can achieve rider sag with current preload Not fully maxxed out while other slightly smaller guys have to max it out.

https://www.cyclenews.com/2020/06/article/2021-yamaha-tenere-700-review/

EU and AUS bikes ( at least for 2020) have the same PN for the rear shock (BW3-22210-00)

The US bikes have a different PN. (BAU-22210-01-00)

May not be much but...

I still plan to upgrade my suspension because I think the High speed and Low speed Comp. are outta whack. needs softer High speed and stiffer Low speed. But until I drop the hammer on that, clickers are doing their thing making the best of street and dirt settings. It's to the point now where I only adjust the rebound 2clicks harder for street and softer for dirt. Seems to be working well if not still harsh over sharp edges.

Other owners of CA and USA bikes have noted the possible difference in suspension from the EU and AUS bikes. so I don't think it's in our heads...
    Have a read though here:

https://www.tenere700.net/topic/1701-new-big-rider-modifications/?tab=comments#comment-18410

J
    Benduro likes this.
  10. CO1K

CO1K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sell the spring? $??
    Benduro likes this.
  11. Benduro

Oddometer:
    Perhaps. I'll let you know.
    CO1K likes this.
  12. Benduro

Oddometer:
    Nice find, dude.

Yeah, the high speed compression is a little harsh and the low speed does tend to wallow a bit.

Gonna revalve stock? Who are you going to use?
  13. MzunguMoto

MzunguMoto rode 15 countries, 180 more to go

Oddometer:
    Let me know when you fit that spring. Mine is staying stock for now. We could meet up and swap back and forth, tweak settings and see what’s what. I think I’ll likely stay stock, but it sure would be nice to try a bit stiffer in the rear and I think we’re within 5-10lbs weight of each other.

Besides, we wanted to try the Junction anyway ;-).

I’m flexible on timing once she gets bolted together again this week.

I’m surprised The T7 doesn’t seem to need risers, whereas every BMW I’ve ever owned did... other ~6’ tall folks feel similarly?
    Benduro likes this.
  14. Benduro

Oddometer:
    I was actually hoping to find lower mounts! Gonna run a flatter bar too. I grew up riding dirtbikes on the hardest trails I could find. Too used to trying to get the bars as low as I can for better control!
    Standing (something I pretty much only do going over a log or rock) they're plenty high for me. 5'11"
  15. MzunguMoto

MzunguMoto rode 15 countries, 180 more to go

Oddometer:
    do you have rally seat? I’m likely returning mine. Stock is pretty good and i thought I had ordered the bracket to bolt them together... where are those parts....?
    Benduro likes this.
  16. Jessejayms

Jessejayms Off Gridder

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested in that rally seat. Got the mono seat rack if you're interested. I'll likely post it in parts for sale.
  17. goldentaco

Oddometer:
    Not sure yet. I really like the Rally Raid +30mm kit. Spendy and I'm not fully convinced I need the extra travel. I would like the extra height.

I've used Superplush in SF for my WR250R and they did a phenom job on it rebuilding the stock components. I just hate the comp adjustment on the forks. It's a pain to stop and fiddle with if you want to firm things up or soften. Honestly, I'm having such fun on the stock boingers now it's the tires that are keeping me tame in the dirt. Probably pull trigger on Motoz Desert H/T next week. I do feel the front is much much softer sprung than the rear so...

Read through the Rally Raid instructions...it's alot in there but I'm sure I dan do it myself. Superplush route, requires dropping bike off for about a week...and San Francisco.

Once I get luggage on this thing I'll see how she does. If it's remotely acceptable I may just do springs and see where that gets me.

J
    Benduro likes this.
  18. goldentaco

Oddometer:
    Yes. I'm comfy with stock bars too...odd.

I stopped by the Junction a few days back. They are open Friday-Mon so that works. Weekends are busy but busy for the Junction is 10 bikes. So relax, such motorcycle.

I won't be free until last weekend of Aug.

J
  19. simmons1

simmons1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought the stock bars were too high until I put the Rally seat on.
  20. Benduro

Oddometer:
    I don't have the rally seat but after a 500 mile day yesterday, I'm very interested in a little more peg to seat height.

I have the T7Rally seat kit. It's really nice.
    x32792 likes this.