Yamaha T7 TENERE Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by VTbeemer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Benduro

Benduro Motorodeo Supporter

Oddometer:
    The t700 is "double the weight" of a wr250r?

Lol!

Whatever you say, dude...

Mine was about 100 lbs lighter than t700.
  2. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    What is your inseam? It would give us a better idea on your comment on the bike's height. ANY bike can be a handful if you stop on a side slope and have to catch it on the low side. The possibility of that type of situation is going to be more common off-road than on... so you have to be aware of it.
  3. Benduro

Oddometer:
    Yes, I agree that people should learn how to ride off pavement before taking a 400+lb bike on terrain suited to a 200lb dirtbike.

If that was the point you were making!
  4. Meet@Trudys

Meet@Trudys Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is certainly a price to pay for riding it like a dualsport. I have folded in a set of Adventure Spec crash bars, which in turn punched in one of my header pipes. Fairing cracked up the side from crash bar caving in a squeezing down on it. Kicked my exhaust away from my swingarm a dozen times to the point where it is getting easier to do as the hanger softens up. Headlight is not working at all. Bent front rim needs replacing, and a broken mirror (my fault I forgot to remove them). All that being said, the bike falls like a champ and there are very few cosmetic scratches on the bike - handguards putting in work. Above all else it is a massive physical workout to pull these days off. No regrets, can't beat riding home at the end of the day in comfort. That is the compromise I went with until I can justify adding a WR250 to the garage.
    norton73 and Benduro like this.
  5. Benduro

Oddometer:
    Lol, that's not me, but it's certainly how I ski (disaster style). Been skiing since I was a real little kid. Don't even remember learning.

All I'm saying is first things first. Good on ya, riders who jump in with both feet!
    But a dr200 or tw200 or crf230 or whatever will make people a hell of a lot better on dirt. Minimal consequences when you fuck up (and you will).

You get a big bike like the t700 sliding at speed the first time, scare the shit out of yourself and chop the throttle, you'll violently high side and likely do a collarbone, wrist or worse.

If you've done it a thousand times on a dirtbike, it'll be no surprise.

That's all.
    twinrider, Peter1969, Barry and 6 others like this.
  6. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a little big bike. Perfect replacement for my Super Tenere, but it will never be a 250 enduro, or a dual sport. Well, maybe a FAT dual sport...

That mountain bike will make you a better rider for sure. Riding smaller bikes always helps riding the bigger bikes. Now that Fall has arrived, it's time to get my ass on that mountain bike.
  7. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think that by slowing down, picking a good line, and better tires for mud may have helped. Crossing ruts in mud , always fun. Seemed out of control before the crash.

Did you stay on your feet ?
  8. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a bit of a renaissance in my 40's about my riding ability. Much to my surprise (and embarrassment) it was demonstrated to me that I was not very good, despite quite a few years of trail riding and years of road riding.
    Any hoo, not being one to sulk I started training. The 2 disciplines I ride to improve my skills and have a blast are motogymkhana and trials. Both cheap and accessible.
    My riding now is unrecognisable, I go places and can do things that would have terrified me a few years ago.

The skills developed translate straight to big bikes and make a huge difference to everything, from bike control and balance to picking a line and maintaining traction.

I can't recommend good training and practice highly enough. It's life changing.
  9. Benduro

Oddometer:
    One of mine glows in the dark.

So, I've got that going for me.

061dcdaec26aa5c568badc7887ff41d8.jpg
  10. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    A standard one of each model is approximately 158 lbs (72kg) difference. WRR is 133 kg.
  11. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    For those waiting on Seat Concepts seats. They will be offering their own 1-piece seat pan design that will allow more comfort foam in the low seat configuration. They have had delays due to outside vendors etc.

The stock seat pan has its limits for foam thickness on the low seat version. Looks like the foam/cover versions will be available in a couple more weeks.
    Sounds like the 1-pc low seat will be closer to January.
    I like the dish-shape of the below 1-pc low seat prototype:-)

“We are working on new mold technology so the lead time is longer than expected.”
    “Just a quick update. The low seat foam has been made and is off to pattern making for the cover. I am hoping to have the standard height mold finished late next week. When working with outside vendors the delays are out of our hands. We are in the process of changing some of this so it is in-house but like everything, the delays from vendors is up in the air.”

F1355CEB-F1D9-4254-B7BD-9B060EA5DCB9.jpeg

Similar sample:

DC3EAEEB-295B-4380-A696-65C70A996DDE.jpeg
    Peter1969, Meet@Trudys, Barry and 5 others like this.
  12. Benduro

Oddometer:
    Yeah. "Double the weight" of a wrr would make the tenere 600 lbs.
  13. Kshaw

Kshaw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was very broadly generalizing. Didn’t know people would be so literal about the exact weight difference. My bad.

I wonder how much shorter the one pan lowering seat from seat concepts will do. I’ve had their seat before and it was fantastic over stock on my other bike. Looking forward to it.
    Vikingtazz and Benduro like this.
  14. gun pup

gun pup out fishing

Oddometer:
    Just edit your original post to say “34.73% heavier” so we can all get some sleep ;)
  15. Benduro

Oddometer:
    Not trying to be pedantic, but in many things, you should take manufacturer's published weights with some salt.

My wrr was 300 lbs with fluids in it, a Flatland racing skidplate, a full FMF exhaust system and fuel controller, DRC/12 o'clock labs tailtidy/integrated tailight, a lightweight 4 gallon Safari tank, a very light Scaggs billet slim rack and a GPR stabilizer with some real brushguards.

Ymmv.

11953516_10152951989825826_5858789972066951046_o.jpg

11794332_10152896587495826_7770500325977641578_o.jpg
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  16. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    I'm confused. Low seat configuration? Would I be lees confused if I removed the front part of the seat on my bike. Life is keeping me too busy to do anything but ride the T7 and change the oil. (First change today at 850 miles.)
  17. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, remove the factory seats and replace them with the Bear Skin Rug in your den:-)

7A8751F3-C4A9-4FA9-9EC0-3F07F346FA27.jpeg
  18. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    R.I.P Boo Boo.:2cry
    tonyubsdell likes this.
  19. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    That would make a great ridding jacket for the winter months.
    rideforzen and Ginger Beard like this.
  20. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 motominded

Oddometer:
    external-content.duckduckgo.com.gif